http://www.maxon.net/products/new-in-cinema-4d-r17/overview.html

I know not many C4D users here, still may be interesting
Some good improvements, the new Splines look amazing but see for yourself : P

Replies

• SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    I was hoping for some love to BodyPaint, which is in charge of the UVs too, for the nodal material editor and for improvements on the viewport speed.

The edge detection for the sculpting tool is really useful, but without something like DynaMesh or the ability to edit your mesh with a Sculpt Tag, this is futile as ZBrush will have always the advantage.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Yea Bodypaint and UVs are clearly the archilles heel
    Shader Nodes would be nice too. They will either rework BodyPaint into something new and shiny or leave it totally in the dust I guess.

Well you will never replace ZBrush with a built in sculpting feature, thats clear, but it can
    hold up to Mudbox, its good if you don't want to committ learning ZBrush with its nonsense UX and do not need to do as sophisticated sculpting/modeling.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Shrike wrote: »
    Yea Bodypaint and UVs are clearly the archilles heel
    Shader Nodes would be nice too. They will either rework BodyPaint into something new and shiny or leave it totally in the dust I guess.

Well you will never replace ZBrush with a built in sculpting feature, thats clear, but it can
    hold up to Mudbox, its good if you don't want to committ learning ZBrush with its nonsense UX and do not need to do as sophisticated sculpting/modeling.

Indeed the sculpting tool is very powerful, considering what it is, the Project Mesh was a nice addition, but I noticed it uses only 2 of my 4 CPU cores, and that can take a very long time if your mesh is quite dense.

I remember there was a plugin that worked in a way similar to Polypaint but is now gone, I hoped they were working on implementing it on R17, but it seems that won't happen soon.

This release feels very sad.
  • Bluestemos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bluestemos polycounter lvl 5
    This update is very disappointing, to say the least.

I would've really liked to see some improvements with BodyPaint, as well as with the baking functionality of Cinema. So far baking a texture from a mesh has a 50/50 chance of failing and producing artifacts or succeeding. I also would've liked for them to add a way to bake details from a high poly mesh to a low poly one, but I guess I'll stick with xNormal for that.

It really seems like MAXON's trying to make Cinema 4D more and more visualization and motion graphics oriented.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Bluestemos wrote: »

It really seems like MAXON's trying to make Cinema 4D more and more visualization and motion graphics oriented.
    Its just a guess but I would say that is the biggest chunk of the 3d market. Nobody handles commercial motion graphics like C4D (that is a personal opinion).