Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
Hello Polycount . I am currently employed as a 3d Artist on a 2 year contract stretch with 1 year remaining ending in oct of 2016.I want to start addressing my portfolio now so that I am prepared when this contract is up.

I'm looking for any feedback on my work, what I should add / remove and overall presentation ideas to help me be ready for next year. Also what concepts i should learn and study more

www.nickbarone3d.weebly.com

Thanks all, be as harsh as possible

Replies

• mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would move some of the vehicles and stuff to the top of the page would have a bigger impact when someone first loads the site also do renders for them that make them look a bit bigger they look pretty distant at the moment.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im trying to decide if I should ditch weebly I know for sure i need to do more breakdowns of things and better screens or possibly an overall theme
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at the very least I would ditch the .weebly address and get a proper domain. Personally use square space but its kind of expensive and weebly isn't the worst out there I don't think.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You can use https://www.artstation.com , it looks professional and pleasing.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    You can use https://www.artstation.com , it looks professional and pleasing.

Can art station act as a solid portfolio. I use it now but not as my portfolio site. I thought Artstation was in Beta
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    Im sure you could buy domain and replace your weebly address. I'd go with name cheap, very cheap domains. Also, I would remove the last image, the kitchen one as it doesn't really fit your overall theme. Take this with a grain of salt and good luck ! Cheers !
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 wrote: »
    Im sure you could buy domain and replace your weebly address. I'd go with name cheap, very cheap domains. Also, I would remove the last image, the kitchen one as it doesn't really fit your overall theme. Take this with a grain of salt and good luck ! Cheers !

Once i get closer to actually applying nxt year i planned to buy my name domain at like bluehost or something and figure out a service to build the site. I know HTML but i hate using it. Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    First off your work is pretty solid! You've got a lot of really good stuff on there, but the presentation of it kinda hurts it.

I didn't go through every piece, but I noticed the few that I check out didn't have any wire-frames. And some pieces had textures while others didn't. I think if you can get a solid balance with other it would definitely help!

As for a website, I agree that you should probably ditch the weebly layout. If you're looking for cheaper alternatives to hosting:
    dunked.com has a nice layouts and isn't terribly expesnive, and https://carbonmade.com/ is completely free and has a nice clean layout.

Hope this helps!
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon wrote: »
    First off your work is pretty solid! You've got a lot of really good stuff on there, but the presentation of it kinda hurts it.

I didn't go through every piece, but I noticed the few that I check out didn't have any wire-frames. And some pieces had textures while others didn't. I think if you can get a solid balance with other it would definitely help!

As for a website, I agree that you should probably ditch the weebly layout. If you're looking for cheaper alternatives to hosting:
    dunked.com has a nice layouts and isn't terribly expesnive, and https://carbonmade.com/ is completely free and has a nice clean layout.

Hope this helps!

Thanks ! . The ones that do not have textures are because im not legally allowed to share them, company wont let me. Is there anyways to say or display that without it looking like a mistake ?
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Is there anyways to say or display that without it looking like a mistake ?

I think it depends on the company, but sometimes you can ask if you're allowed to display work related stuff on your portfolio. If not you can totally throw a disclaimer in there and people will get it.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Can art station act as a solid portfolio. I use it now but not as my portfolio site. I thought Artstation was in Beta

There's still only 1 portfolio layout on Artstation, but it is quite solid. You can assign your art-piece into albums (like WIPs, Featured, Envo, Characters, etc.) then decide if or when to show what album and where. Meaning your Community Profile page can be filled with WIPs to get more viewers, while your Portfolio only shows your Featured stuff.
    200c1c335067aeb8c5500dc7e2d38ff4.png
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have some stuff on artstation,I may have to give it some serious thought about using it
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    changes some renders around messing with some new techniques. Still debating what i need to remove overall
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    The site looks pretty terible to be completely honest with you, not because of the content, but because of the layout. Biggest problem right off the bat? Way too much scrolling, mate, if possible arrange your thumbnails side by side instead so I won't need to scroll for a thousand years to get a good overview.

Some more wireframes would be nice, but I'm assuming that you can't show those either and the same would presumably go for details such as texture size and polycounts.

I think the presentation would be improved with the adition of some kind of groundplane (even if only a flat white material) to ground the models a bit better. Otherwise I'd combine several shots of the same model onto the same image, again to save me from having to scroll too much.