Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weekly Substance Challenge

Replies

• mikool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip @Jorymos but i'm still struggling. I can make it look like a brick pattern but not look like they're overlapping. Every time i blend, the gradient of the pattern where it overlaps disappears no matter the order i blend. I think i'll just wait for a .sbs to be posted for this one, try and learn from that.

If you multiply the gradient by the shape and then use the Max blending option in the tile generator you should get the overlapping effect. of course you will need to ensure that the tiles actually overlap in the tile generator first.

Hope that helps!
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    @tiger nice start! I'd like to see the shingles separated a little better, it's all kind of one piece

So here's the shingle one.
    They might be a little on the soft side (round), but that's basically tweaking of one parameter. I thougt they shaded more interesting like this.

btw. I started with the tile generator instead of a single piece.

Plz feel free to crit.
    4aNBe3l.jpgACGm5T8.jpg
  • agentc0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    Alright, finally was able to get somewhere with the help of you guys. Here is what I came up with.

k8FLSF3.png

.sbs - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9MBFie9jHhUdmo4SFdTekhZOVk/view?usp=sharing
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flipflop_Ninjasaur polycounter lvl 5
    Just found this cool thread. :). I'll have to play some catchup. Here's some roof shingles that I played around with today.

eukFvhK.png
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tigerheart polycounter lvl 9
    @Cay thanks for the advice, I did adjust a few parameter :
    rooftile2.png
    And I'm not sure I figured the easiest way to make this one, but here is the SBS week 7

About yours, i would try to decrease the roundness of the tiles and in my opinion, the tree circle seems weird in this case.

@AgentCore, I checked your substance, there are a few blend node with empty input that you might want to delete. Also, there is a lot of black in your albedo, wich is not recommended. Finally, you should try and play with the tile generator, some of the parameter of this node could do what you are doing withe all the transform.
  • agentc0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    Played around a bit more after the great constructive crit from @tigerheart, thanks man!
    I think this version looks 10x better.

LH6Wbt1.png

.sbs - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9MBFie9jHhUT0FsaDJfeTNwTnM/view?usp=sharing
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    thanks, tiger

So I did change a few things, I made them less round than they were, but I think I'll keep some of it nonetheless. I think adding some of the wooden chips lying around would be cool..
    WlrSHxq.jpg
  • Ellis_Delorean
    Hey,

I just got my hands on Substance Designer for the first time :D this is my result so far.
    roof_shingle.jpg

Since I just got started things arent perfect. For example how could I manipulate single shingles? Or use a tesselation in Substance Designer?

Greetings
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    how could I manipulate single shingles?
    You can random rotate,scale and mask some of the shingles.

AFAIK,manipulating one single shingle by hand isn't a good idea when dealing with a procedural workflow,it destroys the amount of plausible variations you can get while playing with the random seeds of you Graph.

But if you absolutely want to do so for a some reason you can mask one specific brick by using the original one you feeded in the Tile Generator with a Transformation 2D Node to downscale it and place it ontop of any shingle in the tile generator.

It's really,really not recommand tho.Better create a solid procedural (random) process that will give you control over some specific shingles (duplicating the Tile Generator and using the Mask feature inside of it can help) than to start manually tweaking your shingles (what an ugly name :D )
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Hi everyone,

Here is my Gnomon Tutorial on procedural texture creation. Been working on this on and off. Thought I should link it here. Hope you all like it. I hope I do not put anyone to sleep :D

Link here

If anyone has questions let me know I am open to answer ill do my best to answer them in concise and as quickly as possible.

Please go to this thread for questions or comments.

link here
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    rogelio wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Here is my Gnomon Tutorial on procedural texture creation. Been working on this on and off. Thought I should link it here. Hope you all like it. I hope I do not put anyone to sleep :D

Link here

If anyone has questions let me know I am open to answer ill do my best to answer them in concise and as quickly as possible.

link here

Awesome!! I'll order this tutorial for my Christmas present!
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Little practice to familiarize with SD before trying any of these challenges.

ml48si.png

162s83.png

Really impressed with the speed and flexibility of procedural texturing!
  • 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    rogelio wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Link here

link here

Great work Rogelio, going to get this during the week.
  • MohsenDehnavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My First Texture Work in substance for Week 2

Cooper.jpg

I am Creating new Refrences. ;)
  • Regmal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regmal polycounter lvl 2
    I followed this thread for some weeks now (it's amazing) and finally found time to actively participate in one of the challenges. It's certainly not finished yet but I thought I could share my current progress.
    I'm hoping, that I can find time for the upcoming and the past challenges as well.
    GqkDlR8.png
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    rogelio: Why do you tempt me with such knowlege! I didn't want to spend money but that looks to sexy to pass up
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Cay wrote: »
    thanks, tiger

So I did change a few things, I made them less round than they were, but I think I'll keep some of it nonetheless. I think adding some of the wooden chips lying around would be cool..
    WlrSHxq.jpg

Making good progress. I think the large-scale damages on the shingles need to be followed by vertical cracks that run from them towards the top of the plates, just like in the reference. Maybe try adding some wood fibres nodes to your substance? It's looking a bit too smooth than rough.

Also I think your colors need more contrast and interest, add dirt to the grain and the light brownish, dusty color pattern with sharp edges.

Add broken wood chips on the surfaces. It will make it look awesome!
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Tried the Beginner challenge, learnt a lot from it! Here's the screenshot from Marmoset. I found it difficult to create a mask from my tile generator shape to obtain the strong color variations. Would definitely try the advanced version.

gesy-bekeyei-polycount-substance-week-7.jpg?1441475959

gesy-bekeyei-maps.jpg?1441467180
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    New week is up!
  • agentc0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    mrgesy wrote: »
    Tried the Beginner challenge, learnt a lot from it! Here's the screenshot from Marmoset. I found it difficult to create a mask from my tile generator shape to obtain the strong color variations. Would definitely try the advanced version.
    This looks really well done! Good Job. How'd you create the initial shape? Would love to see your .sbs if you're willing to share. :D
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    agentc0re wrote: »
    This looks really well done! Good Job. How'd you create the initial shape? Would love to see your .sbs if you're willing to share. :D

Thanks! :D

The shape is easily obtained by adding shapes together using Blend and Transformation 2D node to change their positions. Basically I merged a rectangle and circle together and used a vertical mask to clean the edges. Here's the .sbs :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmn3akidar0bpuk/week_7_shingles.sbs?dl=0
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    @ mrgesy thanks for the feedback!
    Yeah I pretty much agree with you. I'm just never sure about how much contrast, dirt etc. is good. I mean.. quite many albedo textures look super boring on their own and I'm afraid it might get noisy and so on.. generally just need some feedback and direction.

btw. the cliff one looks really tough.. challenge accepted
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Anyone have any idea on what type of rock the beginner cliff face is?
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Not sure exactly what type but here is a more zoomed out image of it if it helps you identify it. The images are from noah bradleys american south west references found here : https://gumroad.com/noahbradley#
    IMG_6555.jpg
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bradhb3d polycounter lvl 8
    Those rocks should be a good challenge! :poly121:

I'm so behind! Hoping to have at least 2 of these done by the end of this weekend. In the meantime, here is a WIP shot of my asphalt

bradford-smith-substance-asphalt-01-wip-a.jpg
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    O_____________O

Really love how well you control your height information ! :D
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! It's all about the height!
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    I wonder how far one can push Substance Designer's procedural workflow...

The most difficult challenge i have tried to beat so far was creating some rubble piles that had assets on top of others,but i quickly gave up on the project because some things took too much time,like creating a realistic barrel and rotating it realistically like it would on a rubble pile.

How do you know when a texture can be done fully procedurally (with the help of Tesselation to add some geometry bumpiness) or not ?
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    It seems far better suited for simple textures and anything more complicated is where you bring in your own files for masks or normals. Maybe its best to think about the texture and the layers of detail needed. So a rubble may have many different types of rocks, but then you add in grass and moss, broken items, leaves, sticks and it all becomes far to complicated to be done procedurally. I think anywhere from 3 to 5 max layers of detail is about right, not including dirt etc. I mean honestly I sort of just make it up as I go.
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Giving Substance some basic inputs might help to achieve quickly something like a rubble pile,but i just can't stop thinking about the infinite amount of rubble piles i would have if i spend more days-- or even weeks,to get something this advanced procedurally :D

Maybe getting Houdini to create complex shapes and then texturing them with Designer might help keeping the "procedurality" of an asset,but hey,let's not get out of the topic ^^'
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working with Designer for 3-4 years and in that time I've made it my mission to try to be 100% procedural. I find that if I abstract and isolate forms, there isn't much I can't achieve (although I'm also still learning with every new type of texture I do).

I only go back to ZBrush for really complex patterns or trim sheets. But I always layer up my detail and damage in Designer afterward.

Getting things to sit accurately on top of other things is a hard thing to do (sort of). I tried to make some fx maps to handle that through shape instancing, and got close. In paractice though, I have some cheap tricks that are good enough. I'll try to put a mini tutorial later.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Wow super realistic asphalt! Love the cracks!
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Been experimenting with the rock texture and find it too chaotic/organic to replicate procedurally. If anyone can demonstrate how to get the rock layering right in the heightmap, I'd be glad!

Anyway he's Day 1 attempt of Week 8. Looking too soft/sandy IMO.

2rcqu0l.png
  • agentc0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    Looks like i'm not the only one struggling with this one. Here's my first attempt at the week 8 challenge.
    0vTOKVP.png
    bqfSD6u.png

My .sbs file

**Edit added better images. Tried demonstrating it on a sphere too. Not sure how i feel about that yet. :D
  • agentc0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    bradhb3d wrote: »
    Those rocks should be a good challenge! :poly121:

I'm so behind! Hoping to have at least 2 of these done by the end of this weekend. In the meantime, here is a WIP shot of my asphalt

WIP???? WHOOOOOOO WHAT?!?! :D This looks amazing!! Id love to be able to learn from it if you're willing to share the .sbs file. :D What did you render it in?
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Still wip for the asphalt breaker node... Changed it was getting a bit complex for no reason. I miss the old breakage I had going but the way it was ordered made it messy to use so Ill try to implement that better.

Toolbag render below

11950398_10203469864307167_2640562526614279477_o.jpg

substance 3D viewer
    11907206_10203469864147163_936315956753301327_o.jpg
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @agentc0re, I'm rendering in Toolbag 2. I'm sorry I can't really share my .sbs files since they have many links to my growing library of my own nodes. However, I may be working on some tutorials that be helpful in the near future :poly121:

Here's the technique I use most of the time for getting things to sit on top of height maps. It's super cheap, and good enough for most situations.
    1. Use 2x Transform 2D nodes to re-scale the BG height (first down however much you want, then back up by using "Relative to Parent"). This effectively acts acts a high frequency filter, removing all the little details.
    2. Copy blend that with your FG layer however much you'd like
    3. Multiply a mask of your FG layer
    4. Max Blend with your original BG

bradford-smith-substance-asphalt-01-wip-tutorial-a.gif
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small-ish update. I ended up spending a ton of time trying to get a wetness / puddle / water / surface tension set of nodes. The pieces are almost there... just needs more finesse. Then I can apply the filter to sand!!!

bradford-smith-substance-asphalt-01-wip-b.jpg
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Calling this as far as I want to take this. Props to Brad for making a kick ass broken asphalt made me want to push mine further :) Ok ill start the new challenge one now :) I actually want to make a an environment with these once done with a few textures.

11921834_10203471184620174_3468357299556377749_o.jpg
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    Both of those are pretty awesome but possibly way too broken up, the effect is really nice but it should be used less (with the rest of the texture being smoother). Mind you if you could make one broken texture and another flat, you could blend them together in engine easily enough using the height map to blend them properly.

I look forward to seeing environments made using those textures though!
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Here's my take on the red cliff. I'd really like to overlap it more like in the reference, but it didn't work out yet.
    8P1X9Dr.jpg
  • agentc0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    Cay wrote: »
    Here's my take on the red cliff. I'd really like to overlap it more like in the reference, but it didn't work out yet.
    Wow Cay, this looks amazing! I wish I could do something as good as this. If you don't mind sharing, i'd love to take a look at your .sbs. :D

I ended up starting all over again, i think i made something better than before. I even gave AO a shoot.

PI0kXA9.png

.sbs file - 2nd attempt
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tigerheart polycounter lvl 9
    My result for the 8th week, feel like a huge pile of random node :
    rock1.png
    rock2.png

now that I look at it, i'm quite far from the intermediate level reference :/ ...
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    @agent yeah of course, hopefully the link below will work
    I was just trying out different things and that was the result when I was done (- distracting myself from a job interview after that)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/reus5f1jhpt93fr/CliffRock.sbs?dl=0
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Wip version of the cliff wall challenge. Ill see if I have time for the more riggid rock wall.

11952762_10203475309323289_430898558267529235_o.jpg
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Just... wow rogelio, /clap. Gonna take a try at your gnomon course this weekend, is there a previewing step in your tutorial? If it's not, I would really appreciate some insight in how you preview and render your textures, it's something I'm always struggling with, even If I achieve something good, I mess it in the renders!
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth

No viewer or render part in the tutorial, but I can make a short tut on it. Nothing really special just Toolbag Ill do that next week if I get some extra time :)
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Rogelio nice quality cliff! Would you be willing to share your sbs or explain how you achieved the overlapping on the rocks?
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Really grateful! I know it's something quite simple, but I can't get my head on doing a proper setup for cool previeweing haha.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Cliff rock wall :)

An interesting challenge this was the first of these rocks I have attempted learned some new tricks.

11952705_10203476593795400_6367141380482753186_o.jpg