Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WarrenM - Portfolio work thread, please crit me to death

I'm going to be dedicating a slice of each day to working on pieces I can assemble into a workable portfolio over the course of time. I'd love it if you guys could stop in here and crit me hard on this stuff.

This will mainly be props and smaller pieces ... at least initially!

The goal will be to take all of these into UE4 as finished, game ready assets. And then I'll likely offer the high poly meshes on Gumroad for a few bucks for those interested in picking them apart.

As a note, I model and UV in MODO. I use iPackThat for finalizing UVs, use ZBrush from time to time for various purposes, and do 99% of my texturing in Substance Painter.

Starting off with a tracker knife:

TrackerKnife_A.png

TrackerKnife_B.png

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Looks good Warren. The only thing I noticed, the taper and rounded edge on the allen head portion of the fastener could be a little fatter- I think it won't bake down that well right now.

For a portfolio piece, is there a way you can amp this up a little? Maybe grip texture on the knife or something else that will make it stand out more? The materials could also do the job. I am concerned it is a little simple to be a dedicated portfolio piece.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Warren,
    Solid so far. I would assume the hex bolts would be baked, if that's the case you'll probably want to taper bevels more to so they get picked up in the normal map.

Not sure if this is accurate to any particular knife/reference so it might be intended, but just below the 3 inset teeth at the top of the handle it looks like the handle itself has some concave look to it, noticeable in the 3/4 view mostly.

Presentation wise, I personally like to look at Hard Surface stuff with some specular material on it, helps see if there is wonky geometry/pinching a bit better. And lastly looks like you have some GI splotchyness most noticeable again on the 3/4 view on the blade part. Just pointing that out because again when evaluating hardsurface stuff if a surface is supposed to be smooth, you want it to look smooth, and not have odd shading/low GI samples/artifacts.

It's looking good though, looks like a pretty light SubD HP, you didn't over complicate the amount of geo you needed to make the shapes.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Worked on it some more this morning. Softened the bolt holes and worked on the handle shape a lot - softening it and making it more molded and less rigid. I think this is done and will move on to the low poly next.

And Alec, yeah, I'm hoping to convey the surface details through texturing rather than in the high poly.

TrackerKnife_C.png
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly done and bake test looks good. Starting into texturing next...

TrackerKnife_D.png
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    One small crit. This area over here:
    hrH0i21.png

doesn't resemble like the one from the real knife.
    7232486_orig.jpg

Also as for the UVs I remember watching this video two years ago. You can do something like this:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fJC8rdNQCs[/ame]

(Skip to 7:52)

Also I think you should make those holes in the screws just a bit bigger.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, thanks man! Good info...
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    Nice model so far. Baked normal map looks good.
    I got one question: Is iPackThat good for UV mapping?
    Good luck on the portfolio :D

Cheers!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iPackThat is an essential tool for me. I use it on every mesh these days, seriously.
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    I might try it out myself :D
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting texturing ... bolts are too sci-fi, I know. Will fix. :)

I like the general direction tho:

TrackerKnife_E.jpg
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Hey do you know if there are any free alternatives to ipack that? For me as someone just working on models in my spare time as a student, £50 seems way too much to spend on a single piece of software
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think so. If there were, it would be hard to sell iPackThat. :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, calling this one done. Moving on to the next piece!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/tracker-knife
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Picked up some objects at the local flea market. $18 total for the both of these. Going to model these and see how I like this process ... $20 every month or so for real life reference seems reasonable to me.

2015-08-01%2011_12_52-Facebook.jpg
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Warren, I took a look at your knife at ArtStation. It looks good. But I would like to point out some errors that maybe you should fix.
    21Cjk5A.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    To be honest Warren, I think this looks good for a production prop and the timeline of start to finish is very good for what it is.

The issue with the normals in the viewer is actually a Marmoset issue, as we compress the normals as we export (something we hope to address soon).

My main issue isn't really with the asset, but with the TYPE of asset. I understand that you've said you want to focus on small props to begin with, but i've never really seen those as portfolio pieces. To me, a portfolio should be full of things that pop, things that make you go "wow". And this just isn't that.

Your portfolio should be an expression of the best of you.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    To be honest Warren, I think this looks good for a production prop and the timeline of start to finish is very good for what it is.

The issue with the normals in the viewer is actually a Marmoset issue, as we compress the normals as we export (something we hope to address soon).

My main issue isn't really with the asset, but with the TYPE of asset. I understand that you've said you want to focus on small props to begin with, but i've never really seen those as portfolio pieces. To me, a portfolio should be full of things that pop, things that make you go "wow". And this just isn't that.

Your portfolio should be an expression of the best of you.

Fantastic feedback, alot of us suffer from this. I know I personally have alot of weapons and little things but i need to go something WHOA
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's good feedback and I appreciate the advice. I view it as an escalation process. I'll ramp up over time to larger and larger things. I want SOMETHING in there to demonstrate the skillset that I have and while each piece isn't a hero piece, it does show that I know what I'm doing.

As newer things go in, older things drop out. And the cycle continues onward...

It's actually reflective of modern day game design in the F2P realm. Ship it. Tweak it, refine it, update it ... it doesn't have to be perfect at launch. Treat it as a living thing.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Lee, are you sure its that? I can recognize compression, and to me it looks more like unwelded verts or something like that.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So digging into it ...

I think the bottom 2 errors are the compression stuff Gir was talking about.

Embarrassingly, the white sparkles things on the handle ... that's an issue with my UV map. I left enough padding between UV islands but not between the islands and the sides of the UV map. So there's some splooge from hitting the edge, I believe.

Thanks for pointing that out, now I can avoid that moving ahead...
  • Amatobahn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amatobahn polycounter lvl 7
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Picked up some objects at the local flea market. $18 total for the both of these. Going to model these and see how I like this process ... $20 every month or so for real life reference seems reasonable to me.

2015-08-01%2011_12_52-Facebook.jpg
    Just don't become a hoarder! :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That IS something we've discussed. These might stay but as time goes on, yes, stuff will also have to LEAVE the house eventually ... heh.
  • Amatobahn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amatobahn polycounter lvl 7
    Let me tell you though. Those ammo cases are the best for keeping all sorts of fun trinkets in.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, vacation is over and it's back to work! Next up is going to be a modular environment with some nice architecture and some foliage. We toured the Biltmore Estate in Asheville last week and I love the Winter Garden there. So that's what I'm going to work on next.

Mood board:

moodboard.png
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    This excites me :D
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I wasnt able to see your site on my phone. I get presented with your homepage but no artwork loads. If I click the web version everything loads though. Just wanted to let ya know :) Love the layout!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's odd. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I think it was just my phone. My browser was acting up!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Predictably, this thread will now get a lot slower since I've picked up some ongoing contract work. :) But I'll update as life/time permits in the future...