Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help and feedback on hand painted enviroment

andropof
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
andropof polycounter lvl 3
I'm learning how to texturing an environment in blender and krita for a videogame that I'm working on.

I'm a noob, so i need help. Could you tell me where I'm wrong, what to improve or maybe recommend me some tutorials on hand painting?

This is the texture i'm working on:

[SKETCHFAB]fccdf75252ee430786aeeb684f32be51[/SKETCHFAB]

I hope someone reply xD

Thanks for all.

Replies

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    whatever file type you're using is causing some noise on your texture when its compressed. is it jpg? try using png instead. also take another crack at where you put your roughed up (chipped?) edges, you have some in crevices that would probably be collecting grunge, and no roughness on other outer edges that probably get bumped and worn a lot. keep in mind how an object would be affected by its environment when texturing it. I like that you've got a couple cracks on there already, add a few more.
    its a good start, keep at it! :)
  • andropof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic wrote: »
    whatever file type you're using is causing some noise on your texture when its compressed. is it jpg? try using png instead. also take another crack at where you put your roughed up (chipped?) edges, you have some in crevices that would probably be collecting grunge, and no roughness on other outer edges that probably get bumped and worn a lot. keep in mind how an object would be affected by its environment when texturing it. I like that you've got a couple cracks on there already, add a few more.
    its a good start, keep at it! :)

Hi and thanks for the reply :)

This time I have tryed to add some more cracks and lights/shadows.
    I have also tryed to increase the number of details in the texture.
    But I'm still not happy with the result :C So can someone tell me what else is wrong?

[SKETCHFAB]4f4db30e789c446aafd13c50a2221db4[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I think you're being hesitant about adding big, fat details to the model.

You did add cracks and some highlights, but they're so tiny that it still leaves the asset as a whole feeling flat.

Be big. Be bold. Over do what you think is big already.

Handpainting is just straight up painting like a concept artist or an illustrator. There's no real major difference between the two. Learning to handpaint is so much like learning how to take regular paint to a canvas.

Your rocks don't have to be boring. They can be big. They can be carved. They can have clashing colors at different values and hues. They can be sexual. They can be gentle. They can be evil, chill, dead, alive, breathing, angry, or happy.

Notice the carvings in the rocks below. Notice how the flat facades are turned into stories, expressions of individuals longing to leave a legacy longer than themselves, and bigger than they are allowed to be. Notice how the base of the rocks are more yellow, and it gets greener as it goes closer to the sky. A hue gradient to say "yellow is the floor, but green is the sky."

Say something with your rock, beyond that light uniform green noise you created, or the thin highlights. Add blood, Add moss. Add a huge birthmark, something to make it be alive.

desertpaint.jpg
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer polycounter lvl 6
    Try buffing up the contrast and adding big, stark detailing such as buffs, scratches, lichen, etc. Sometimes, just a slightly more exaggerated palette can do half the work for you. Don't be afraid to get adventurous!
  • andropof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi and thanks for the replies! :D

This time i have tried to make a concept of the rock that I want in the game.
    The enviroment is full of snow, and in the game you can also see under the rock... this is a problem because I can't add details like shadows and ambient occlusion.

Here is the concept that I have done in krita:

fo4U9YX.png

And here is the model:

[SKETCHFAB]5d2084fecb7c451ba0ab5be459350d90[/SKETCHFAB]

Hope someone can tell me what is wrong with my textures and I keep to practice.
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    The problem is that you're painting with too much caution and trying to make everything perfect. Get a bigger brush, make a color/value palette and just paint. Make happy accidents. Also, look at reference.

4HLMyF3.jpg
    this is a problem because I can't add details like shadows and ambient occlusion.

The whole point of hand painted is to paint in shadows, ao and etc. Just because you will be able to see below the rock doesn't mean there won't be any shadows below it.
  • andropof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply,
    I'm trying to increase the shadows opacity and add some more scratches.

[SKETCHFAB]8bc1e5bd33654bcb81ebe0cfa0526c0d[/SKETCHFAB]

As always any comments or critiques are useful, thanks for all and i'll keep practice! :)