Home General Discussion

Creating/Sorting Reference Libraries

GhostDetector
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
I've accumulated a whole bunch of references over a long period of time and I haven't sorted through all of them.

Generally I create different folders for categories (3d, 2d, enviornment, etc) and copy the image to each folder it would go under. This method actually takes a long time and has a lot of back and forth between different windows.

So how do you guys do it?

I was thinking, is there a program that can do it? Say I view the image, then a key would copy or move the image into that folder. Kind of like a slideshow and macro.

Also what categories do you guys use to organize all your files. (Just to make an appropriate list)

Replies

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I use Pinterest mostly for that sort of stuff now. I know it's probably not the answer you were looking for but maybe this free bump will help.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    All on dropbox. I don't trust pinterest / same comments as Dustinbrown. Here's an example of my organization.

110ffec5e1897b3155537f2ca6c66174.png

893aed7d3769b2325bd0968f363bda42.png
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    I use the portable version of FenrirFS

You can assign multiple tags and order them inside groups; unfortunately you can't create the same tag for different groups so you have to create multiple Profiles with different purposes. For example, one for your inspiration pictures with its tags, and another with your references (pictures of real objects, etc...), so that you don't mix different stuff with the same tags.

If you want you can change in the Environment Settings the Drop Operation options, by the fault, FenrirFS, copies the pictures inside its folder, but if you change it to Alias Mode, it will create a reference file that points to the actual picture, saving disk space.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Not to mention people like to report nudie images on pinterest even if they follow the rules XD

I'm learning that now, I pretty much just use it for fun since there's always a nice stream of inspirational stuff once you get it going, if anything it's a good source for building a library but not keeping one.

Granted for anyone with a pinterest account that wants to export their images here's a nice guide for how :D
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sonic, that FenrirFS is pretty close to what I was looking for.
    Thanks iadagraca, that will come in handy in the future:)

Anyways I kind of want a nice classification method and this is what I thought of so far

In terms of reference:
    1. Animals
    2. Plants
    3. Machines
    4. Arms (weapons)
    5. Armor (light to heavy)
    6. VFX
    7. Environment
    8. Level Design
    9. Mood (can somebody explain mood boards? Whats the difference between a mood board and a reference board?)
    10. Techincal (ie, sculpts, shader reference, materials, tutorials, etc)

Does anybody else do theirs differently or notice something I missed?
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    ^ you can change 9 to boards and solve the issue. ;)
    But that 1 to ten works, i had mine up somewhere but atm to lazy (or the 103. degress is frying my brain) to screenshot it again.
    I had a silhouette section a style collection (just a few representing the many) game art dump collections, and my technical was just "helpful" section.

But yea like others just save the files direction and perhaps label the img files with authors name to prevent credit loss, which is a thing.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've played around with bridge to start tagging my stuff a little, it's interesting to do but not sure if necessary yet.

Any recommended tips on using bridge for anyone that uses it now?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't like using bridge mainly for 2 reasons,
    I feel like the tagging system is inefficient.

1. Example. Say you have Image A tagged as "character", then you exit adobe bridge. Later when you want to tag Image B, you need to find image A so the tag "character" shows up on the side. Unless you want to keep re-adding the same tag to to side, I'd recommend fenrirFS (used it for a day and it feels much better than adobe bridge)

2. Another thing is that Adobe Bridge doesn't open files to the windows preview by default. It requires some tricks to do that, and even with that one mistake will just ruin it. The problem lies with the OS(win8) and that Windows Preview doesn't have an executable. This doesn't apply to opening PNG files since Adobe Bridge cannot "read" them. (png files can still be seen in Adobe Bridge but will open in Windows Preview.

----

How do you guys label/define props?

Would this be a prop?
    7.5.15_BenWilson.jpg

Things like tables and chair are easily understood as props, but is everything a prop that is not a Character, Creature, Environment(image below)?

7.5.15_zzz_jsargent.jpg

----

Also does anyone know where to find some good 3d sculpt references? I have seen them in pinterest, but usually those boards are "all in one" type of boards.

In comparison CharacterDesigh has great number references in many different categories. But he doesn't have really have a large selection of 3d material.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't like using bridge mainly for 2 reasons,
    I feel like the tagging system is inefficient.

1. Example. Say you have Image A tagged as "character", then you exit adobe bridge. Later when you want to tag Image B, you need to find image A so the tag "character" shows up on the side. Unless you want to keep re-adding the same tag to to side, I'd recommend fenrirFS (used it for a day and it feels much better than adobe bridge)

2. Another thing is that Adobe Bridge doesn't open files to the windows preview by default. It requires some tricks to do that, and even with that one mistake will just ruin it. The problem lies with the OS(win8) and that Windows Preview doesn't have an executable. This doesn't apply to opening PNG files since Adobe Bridge cannot "read" them. (png files can still be seen in Adobe Bridge but will open in Windows Preview.

For the first one it looks like they might have changed that from the version you used? There seems to be a pool of key words you can set and use but some of them are image or folder specific it seems. Those applied to ones that were tagged before.

Yeah the second point is the first problem I've encountered. I'll try the app you suggested.

EDIT: omg this is so much better, this is EXACTLY what I need. Simple fast and a great deal automatic. Does it have autosorting by tags? That would be make this perfect...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've talked about image org a lot in the past, some good tips in here, also see these threads...

How do you classify hundreds of saved images?

How do you organize your files.

your texture library

More if you search "organize folders" or similar.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10

How do you guys label/define props?

Would this be a prop?
    7.5.15_BenWilson.jpg

Things like tables and chair are easily understood as props, but is everything a prop that is not a Character, Creature, Environment(image below)?

7.5.15_zzz_jsargent.jpg

I would add a "Plant" and "Alien" tag or even a "Tree", so, Prop | Plant | Tree | Alien.
    iadagraca wrote: »
    EDIT: omg this is so much better, this is EXACTLY what I need. Simple fast and a great deal automatic. Does it have autosorting by tags? That would be make this perfect...

You can click on the right corner of the Labels panel and choose one of the options, to sort them you can even right click on one of them to pop the option. To sort the pictures there is a bar with various options on top of the pictures tab.