Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Spine Creature

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
samnwck polycounter lvl 9
Most Recent: 

So one of the things where I've been finding my models having is a weak silhouette. So before I keep going I think that I should get some criticism on the silhouette. So let me know what you think of it before I show the meat of the model.

(note where the neck meets the body is not finished so it is a slightly harsh geometric angle)

7o0rAk6png
z2awREupng
gwA7J0hpng

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What is this creature supposed to do?
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a tree climber, the back can straighten out to allow it to climb. The sail on its back is there because it lives in a warm climate, allowing it to stay cool (like the Spinosaurus). Sharp nails to dig into the tree trunk for climbing. It will have a specialized snout that will have 2 long tongues that allows it to drink the sugars from a specific flower/plant (think of how an anteater puts its tongue down an ant holex2).
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Given the description, it sounds like its a much more gentle creature. There's certain features of the silhouette that don't make it seem to fit with the idea.

Most tree climbers tend to focus more on grasping than stabbing. Chameleons, Sloths, etc. To me, and this is personal preference speaking as well since Ive seen more weaponized looking creatures recently, see if a more gentle grasping hand like that seen on a chameleon would be a cooler silhouette.

The hunched over, ready to pounce gesture of the whole creature speaks less to a herbivore and more of a hunting carnivore. I'd look into somehow giving it a more gentle overall shape language.

Good on you for focusing on silhouette.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The head is still very much WIP, just trying to layout some landmarks and see what works.

hRxrq3hpng
    LyK0QYEpng
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to dig this project up. Here's where the project is at now.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to pick this one back up (Again...) Really trying to push to actually finish it!

The face still needs a lot of work. But working on some finer details and scars. Will probably move some larger forms around a bit more as well. 

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on getting his eye wrinkles up to par. Still not quite where they need to be, but almost there. I'm trying to show the character's age, so lots of heavy wrinkling.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More face detailing. 

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to pick this up... yet again -.- haha (I really need to just stop doing a few hours here and there and just finish this damn thing). Anyways. Here's a progress shot of the High Poly as it stands currently!

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice details the eyes reminds me of an elephant, and they look pretty gentle, I'm not that sold on the spine, it looks a bit out of place, since the theme of the knobs aren't reflected anywhere else if that makes any sense. the rest of the mesh looks like it has a bit of a different theme to me so I would say ether commit to the a bit more or scrap it. Keep up the good work!