Home General Discussion

Newbie Freelance Question: How much should I charge for this example model+texture?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 9
brent-liu-p99-final-shot.jpg?1426737489

polycount 4k
texture res 2048x2048
PBR textures Metallic/Roughness/BaseColor/Normal

Hiding minor details, and the back of the slide looks ugly. :P

I'm really new in 3D area, want to start make money, just don't know anything about rates.

:poly127:I think I've actually asked this before = = What is this feeling...

Replies

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance Should help. there's a pricing section near the bottom.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Regarless of the model quality and textures etc...

How long did it take you? (think, how long should it have taken in studio conditions)
    What do you consider your hourly rate is? (be honest and dont under sell yourself)
    Factor in a little extra for software licences, etc? +50% maybe? thats up to you (dont be greedy)...

hours X rate + extras = charge

thats what you should charge.
  • remotecrab131
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 9
    PeterK wrote: »
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance Should help. there's a pricing section near the bottom.

Thanks very much for the link. I just recalled that I actually came here and asked the same kind of question earlier and got the same link...
    At least i know to bookmark it this time. :P
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Regarless...

I am well aware of those, but thanks. I just wanted to know how much it might worth generally. To help me make decisions.

I actually took a long while to make this model, since it was the first time I'm doing actual 3D assets for game. Now I may be able to finish something of equal complexity and quality under 20 hour. Which............ is 200 dollar according to hourly wage at local jobs..... I think it is too much for a single pistol, is it? Not to say im using blender and Substance designer, and another drawing software which made software cost negligible...

Maybe I need to be faster, maybe I need to take easier, stylized model so I can fastly hand paint the texture.

Help!
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I'm kind of going through your situation a little, fortunately I have people paying for my work who know whats it's worth and understand my needs and the time involved. But I myself find it hard to find that price I'm comfortable with but not want to feel like I'm being taken advantage of when people ask for my rates. Especially when there are artists out there who do in fact charge very little. I still panic about it.

The idea of making so much money off of doing what you love (and simply are willing to do just for fun) is kinda scary, but you have to consider that if you need/want to live off what you do even minimum wage isn't even good enough. Especially for something that's taken years of training and hard work to be good at. For me I try to keep $10 an hour minimum (depending) in mind since I currently do a lot of indie work and I frame the work flow around that rate.

I've lost work from plenty for people who can't handle that rate and it hurts when that happens and they go for some one cheaper sometimes people who I think are better than me. And I waver a little, but I'm trying to live off this I can't. But I deeply respect the people I have who respect that need.

This should be easier for me, since all my jobs up till now were commissioned sales jobs. So I can't even imagine how hard it is for you.

Granted for those projects I'm paid for there are a couple I devote spare time that are revenue share but those never take priority over my paid work.
  • Moltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    Im no expert on pricing 3D assets put from what I know guns are not worth a lot unless they are tailer made or HP. Most clients will just buy that gun you made from an asset store instead of having someone make it for them (unless they need specifics e.g Poly count, color, texture res etc etc).

Based on what Ive seen, you could sell the LP asset for around $40 - $50 and the HP (fully textured) for 100+

If you were to make this for a client then Stinger88's advice should be taken.
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6

maybe I need to take easier, stylized model so I can fastly hand paint the texture.

Painting a good texture is not easy and fast. :poly127:
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    pigart wrote: »
    Painting a good texture is not easy and fast. :poly127:

I agree with this.
    I think hand painted texture actually take more time then doing textures with programs like substance designer or Quixel Suite. That's at least my experience (of cause you can do super complex procedural textures that will take longer to do, but a simple brickwall or concrete or whatever can be done pretty fast). If you have a high quality hand painted textures it will take time, often enough serveral hours!