Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portrait Art Crit

Hello ~

I've been working on a series of portraits for a group project in school. These are two I've recently finished. The blonde is supposed to be in her early teens, around 14, and the brunette is 16+. These are the two youngest characters in the series and I did struggle to convey age. Any feedback would be much appreciated (especially on lighting). Thanks.

cameron.jpg

qorinka.jpg

Replies

• lamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamb polycounter lvl 7
    Hello winf,

Every line you add to a face adds age. Young faces tend to have really soft transitions between individual planes. Another good trick to convey young age is giving them larger eyes.

Flip the canvas horizontally often to check the construction of the face.

The blonde girl's teeth seem to be attached on the lips rather than being actual teeth. These tend to gently push against the lips. You get to see the lower lip arching around the teeth and the upper lip softly pushed back. if you were to draw the jaw under the teeth it has nowhere to go at the moment, the teeth would have to be attached outside the actual face.
  • gavinli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinli polycounter lvl 3
    Hi winf,

Thanks for posting these up. What's is project? Are you aiming for a realistic look for these or stylised?

lamb's pretty much hit the nail on the head. Everything's a little too bright on the young vampire image so it could do with some appropriate shadows. For example under the hair or where the hoody will have darkened the side of his face where it's instead currently quite a bright blue. If the face is being lit that heavily you could light up the hoody and neck/clavicle region a little.

It's looking really promising so far though - keep posting any updates you have :)

I hope that helps and good luck with your project!

Best regards,

Gavin