Home Technical Talk

LODs for cars in simulators and racing games

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
A client wants one material for all LOD models including "high poly" one, i.e. I can use only one normal map for both LOD0 which is like 60K and LOD4 which is like 7K.

From my perspective it doesn't look feasible at all. There are a lot of separate parts in LOD0 like a door handle which I've planed to bake into the door in lower LODs before this requirement popped up. So I have to have ALL SEPARATE PARTS which are quite high poly and make a 7K mesh from 50K one. I'm trying to do this ATM, but I think even if I put a normal map from LOD0 to LOD4 it won't hold up because shading will be different.

How would you handle a situation like this? Is there some method I don't know? May be not use a normal map at all (but even LOD0 needs it in some parts)? Transfer normals from LOD0 to LOD4 (never did that)?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Well, if its not requested, you don't have to bake from a whole highpoly. Especially if you can use 60k for lod 0.

Something like this would work well, and you could use one normalmap.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154664

And on the lods, you would simply remove the chamfers or supporting, and then do the usual optimizations.

You are right anyways, the one fully baked normalmap would't work well on both lod0 and 4.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    the problem is that I was requested to bake a normal map for LOD1 and onwards. But I wonder if the mesh really needs it. I mean I can make a decent looking model without normals for LOD1 and LOD2 and nobody will really see what's happening in LOD3-4 so may be no normal map at all.

I wonder if I optimize LOD0 like remove all these parts and bake them from high poly will my normal map hold for LOD4? The mesh will be optimized from beginning so may be...
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You can definitely make the lod 1-2 looking good without a baked normalmap. And maybe yeah, no normal map at all. Maybe just on close lods, and normalmap like you make with ndo...Or baked from smaller part meshes. It would be pretty usual in a simulator. But this depends on how they want it.