Home Adobe Substance

No height map preview?

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Im trying out substance designer 5 and just cant figure out why I cant see my height map in the viewport. It is visible when I use tesselation or parrallax shader but when on physically based metallic(which is what I want) it is not visible. Can someone please explain what I need to do?

Replies

• Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Be sure to check that the normal and height output nodes have been sent to the 3D View.
    Also verify that the relief amount shader parameter has not been reset to 0.
  • oblomov
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    The PBR shaders in Designer don't do tesselation yet. This means that with the PBR shaders the height will only drive the parallax effect : the other textures will be distorted based on height and perspective, but not your object silhouette. So if you only have an height map with no diffuse (or an uniform diffuse), you won't see any effect.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Froyok wrote: »
    Be sure to check that the normal and height output nodes have been sent to the 3D View.
    Also verify that the relief amount shader parameter has not been reset to 0.

Hi thanks for the help!
    How do I check that the output nodes have been sent to the 3D view? how do I find that shader parameter? Sorry Im at work so I cant dig into SD right now.

Oblomov yes I had heard that was the case, still Im changing my heightmap from black to brick tiles and I see no difference when using pbr metallic shader.
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Right click the node you want to to view in 3d viewport and hit 'view in 3d' then you specify the corresponding channel.
    And to access the viewport setting, in the 3d viewport menu go: Materials > Default > Edit. You can find the relief amount, emissive intensity, normal map -Y or +Y setting and more.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Oh thank you Tzur_H I will try that when I get home!
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks a lot thats all it was I just needed to turn on relief in the viewport material edit menu and then click view in 3D! I couldnt find any tutorial or guide mentioning this online, they seem to gloss over the minor details of setting up your outputs etc.
  • Ikben
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikben null
    I have a similar situation.  I made a material that displays well in Designer but looks flat in Painter.

First photo depicts a cube mesh with my SD material applied on pbr-mat-rough, height force bumped to 8.12 (though it makes no difference)material with the "sludge" parameter changed from light blue to green.  Other exposed parameters (from SD) do not function in Painter. 

The second image is a render from SD, of the material as created.  Scale in Iray is bumped to 3 and tessellation at 4, otherwise it appears flat in SD just as it appears flat in SP. ( Another issue is the "mountain" peaks are capped.)

QUERY: How can I make my Substance Designer material display height and displacement in Painter?
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Painter doesn't support tessellation, in the latest update, they've added support for POM.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWqodzZFlk