Home General Discussion

Burnout Busters

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
sziada polycounter lvl 11
Just curious what are you everyone's burn out busters to get into making awesome art again?

Replies

• martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Take some time off of art. Go outside, go for a hike, short trip somewhere or whatever gets you away from your pc/internet.
    I personally like to go fishing, mushroom picking, or just hanging out with friends somewhere. Now is also the music festival season so I plan to do atleast one each summer and that helps to recharge.
    Also try searching the forum, there are similar threads around.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I don't art, but my burnout breaker is to travel. A week or so for me is ideal, but failing that a long weekend abroad by myself really helps reset my frame of mind.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Sorry to be so trivial, but when I saw the name of the thread
    I thought for a happy sec a new Burnout had been announced:)
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl wrote: »
    Sorry to be so trivial, but when I saw the name of the thread
    I thought for a happy sec a new Burnout had been announced:)

lol
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I guess it depends on your area of interest, but as someone that enjoys environments/lighting/texturing, I think getting outside is crucial. Even just taking a break outside can help, but hiking, traveling, exploring, etc. can give you inspiration. Especially if you can find real life reference to what you're working on.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    ambershee wrote: »
    I don't art, but my burnout breaker is to travel. A week or so for me is ideal, but failing that a long weekend abroad by myself really helps reset my frame of mind.

this is mine too. I love taking time away from computers to go traveling. I started scuba diving last year and am considering a career change from game artist to scuba instructor. you meet so many awesome and inspiring people while traveling it feels like a completley different way of life.

I would say travel is essential to anyone looking to become a well rounded human being and awnswer all the questions about themselves they struggle to find answers to.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    For me, its replenishing my inspiration pool.
    So reading a book, watching an inspiring movie, comics or playing Dungeon and Dragons on Monday nights.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
  • DanglinBob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beer? Really actually a couple days off... like, totally off. Where work can't find me.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    make something you want to every now and then. Not art for your portfolio. not to impress others. not for your boss. not for any greater purpose. Just because you want to. This doesnt have to be game art, it could be anything that gets your creative juices flowing, writing a song if you play an instrument, go dancing, go see a live band or a poetry reading. :)
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been find watching anime recharges my batteries atm and I am kinda feeling awesome and ready to do some art I was just curious what everyone likes to do when they are feeling burned.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Travelling for sure, nothing beats the outdoors and being detached from technology for a period of time. When I can't do that, cycling is always fun.

I love building up a bunch of references using Pinterest and finding new things that inspire me. Fear has always been a motivation for me, I love seeing work from other artists and realizing I need to step my game up instead of sitting around doing nothing :) That's how I usually return after some time away from art.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Stepping away from it all for at least a couple of days helps me out. Doing something unrelated to art, whatever other interests/Hobbies you have.
  • linwail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail polycounter lvl 5
    Hanging out with people I care about usually works. But generally I end up watching Netflix
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail wrote: »
    Hanging out with people I care about usually works. But generally I end up watching Netflix

so true ahhaha, who needs a social life when you have netflix XD