Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crossing from Maya to Modo

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Falkrum polycounter lvl 2
Hello yo all!

I was using maya for 6 years so it really hard to move to another tool, but i think i really need MeshFusion in my workflow.

All the time in maya I tried to avoid hotkeys, except QWER and XCV, so my workflow fully based on marking menus. I find that there is some useful shortcuts menus like Ctrl-Space for views and Ctrl-Q for components and transform tools, but nothing for Mesh editing tools? I mean extrude, cuts, bevel tools. No shortcuts menus for it?

Also snapping?

I am really want to avoid basic workflow methods when you clicks on menus, bars, trying to find tool that you need. Is there any tutorials for fast, accurate advanced modeling?

Any help will be very appreciated!

PS Sorry, wrong section, move thread to the Technical Talk pls.

Replies

• ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScrotieFlapWack polycounter lvl 5
    There are a ton of shortcut keys for the modelling tools in MODO. Also MODO has 'Pie Menus' very similar to Maya's marking menus. I am also coming from Maya to MODO (MODO indie) I love how fast MODO is, but then again I never used Maya as long as you have.

Here is a link you may find handy.

http://modo.docs.thefoundry.co.uk/modo/701/help/pages/modointerface/KeyboardShortcuts.html

Scroll to the where you can find the 'Modelling' category and in there you will see a sub category for 'Tools' All of MODO's modelling tools have some sort of hotkey, mesh edit tools, vertex tools, duplicate tools, etc.

By the way there is a great community on Steam in the group chat that will help you out as well, guys working at The Foundry are always in there chatting too!

Hope that helps :)
  • Stopete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stopete null
    Regarding the hotkeys in modo you can customize them really heavily, you can create your own pie menus with custom commands. You can also make hotkeys active in specific viewports or whilst using specific tools which can lead to using the same hotkey for a lot of things making life much easier.
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stopete wrote: »
    Regarding the hotkeys in modo you can customize them really heavily, you can create your own pie menus with custom commands. You can also make hotkeys active in specific viewports or whilst using specific tools which can lead to using the same hotkey for a lot of things making life much easier.

Looks like I am in need of an upgrade then haha. I bought the indie version on Steam awhile back, we don't have scripting or any support for custom commands and those Seneca scripts look really really good :(
  • Falkrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for tips, mates! Custom pie menus looks like an option in one case, but in another most of the time i will try to use standard UI just to be more independent from personal setting. So most of you using standard hotkeys?
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Falkrum wrote: »
    Thanks for tips, mates! Custom pie menus looks like an option in one case, but in another most of the time i will try to use standard UI just to be more independent from personal setting. So most of you using standard hotkeys?

I use MODO indie which is available on Steam. I haven't customized anything apart from the copy paste and selection edits. Other than that all my hotkeys are all standard, they are pretty logical as well very easy to remember.
  • Stopete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stopete null
    Looks like I am in need of an upgrade then haha. I bought the indie version on Steam awhile back, we don't have scripting or any support for custom commands and those Seneca scripts look really really good :(

Oh damn you are missing out on a buch! There are just way to many awesome scripts like the seneca ones, the Eterea Swiss Knife(bunch of tools)(http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=119&t=81124), Eterea Slice Presets(makes subd modeling so much faster)(http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=37&t=26386) and Bools Kit(handy toolbar for booleans) (http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/asset/scripts/view.aspx?id=4593). These are the ones i find really useful but there is so much more out there!

@Falkrum: Personally most of the tools i use have standard hotkeys with some exceptions. But id recommend customizing it, workflow becomes just so much faster, sure it will take time to set up but once you have something that really works the amount of time saved skipping small unnecessary actions is just adds up. You can also save your set up and upload it to a cloud or something so that you can keep it everywhere you go.
  • absorbentghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    absorbentghost polycounter lvl 6
    Falkrum I too am a happy Maya to Modo convert . When using maya i always had to compromise art for the difficult restraints in mayas workflow . Im free to create in side of modo and the animations are great .I love modo .
  • Falkrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any tutorials of proper workflow? Not just basics as usual. I just spend all day watching and reading and still cant start to modeling, so much difference between Maya workflow. The tools works in different way. Maya extrude = Modo Bevel and so...confusing...
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Falkrum wrote: »
    Any tutorials of proper workflow? Not just basics as usual. I just spend all day watching and reading and still cant start to modeling, so much difference between Maya workflow. The tools works in different way. Maya extrude = Modo Bevel and so...confusing...

Here is my Google Drive. There are some tutorials on there I have purchased when I started learning MODO they are great for getting to know the tools better.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3WPYicopPp2fjJCSjNZMm00S3NoU0FwbjY0U1Q0ZXZJdXItbWRFek1wa3BFQ0Z6QnNKWGM&usp=sharing

Have at them guys :)
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time Maya user here wanting to move to Modo as well! I really want to get into Modo myself. However, my old habits from Maya seems to crash Modo quite often. Modo doesn't like people working the wrong way lol... I suppose this will be fine once you can shift your brain to think the Modo way, but before that, it's real annoying.
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I did find that. Dropping tools was a big one for me but its second nature now. Along with the confusing of extrude and bevel in MODO. I am still learning but the tools are just fantastic no more fighting with Maya tools to get the results you want, it's quick and easy in MODO especially the deformers :D
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MODO doesn't really come into it's own until you make it your own. It's just how it is. It's good out of the box but, man, once you start creating your own menus and hot keys and macros ... it just starts FLYING.