Home General Discussion

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata passes away...

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
Although i'm not much of a Nintendo gamer nowadays, my formative gaming years were full of them.

Rest in peace sir.
2288470-iwata2_33531_screen.jpg

Replies

• Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Very sad, seemed like a genuine fella, unlike some of the other sharky looking execs, he even halfed his wage when Nintendo was'nt doing so great... RIP Iwata

No doubt this will hurt Nintendo a bit, I hope the damage is limited :(
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    JUst learned this..Dammitt. REst in Peace!
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    I wonder who will succeed him at Nintendo.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Hopefully, after last E3's disaster, someone who is actually aware of what gamers expect from Nintendo.

By the way, I'm not discrediting his work, he just couldve done a better job. I really like him for his dynamic and sympathetic personnality on stage though.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Blond wrote: »
    Hopefully, after last E3's disaster, someone who is actually aware of what gamers expect from Nintendo.

By the way, I'm not discrediting his work, he just couldve done a better job. I really like him for his dynamic and sympathetic personnality on stage though.

NO, Just no, People are buying nintendo because it's nintendo, I couldn't gave a fuck more about 60fps or super hd 4k graphic. If i want that i have a pc, or if i really insist i'll buy a ps4. What people expect from nintendo is fun and recreative game as well a new way to enjoy them. I'm so tired of people like you bitching at nintendo because it's not high end graphic, you clearly didn't and never get the company if it's what your hoping to see from them, nintendo goal is to permit EVERYONE to enjoy game, from poor to rich, from kid to elder, from casual to hardcore.

Also e3 wasn't a disaster, geez AGAIN a fake interpretation, nintendo NEVER reserve a spot like this because they NEVER announced anything at e3 they couldn't care less about e3 they show stuff WHEN THEY WANT in nintendo direct, it ALWAYS was that way, and suddenly because they put it on the main conference instead of randomly during e3 people are all bitching about a disaster and crap.

Know your shit or just don't talk, i'm so annoyed of this crap. Even more when it's said in a topic of someone really great that just freaking die way too early.

Also, The world just lost a great person.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Odow wrote: »
    NO, Just no, People are buying nintendo because it's nintendo, I couldn't gave a fuck more about 60fps or super hd 4k graphic. If i want that i have a pc, or if i really insist i'll buy a ps4. What people expect from nintendo is fun and recreative game as well a new way to enjoy them. I'm so tired of people like you bitching at nintendo because it's not high end graphic, you clearly didn't and never get the company if it's what your hoping to see from them, nintendo goal is to permit EVERYONE to enjoy game, from poor to rich, from kid to elder, from casual to hardcore.

The world just lost a great person.

Calm down bro. I did not buy a ps4/one for THIS exact reason.Even though I've always been a console fan.
    Just like you, I'm witnessing some form of decline in the newst console generation as most big devs favor grpahics over gameplay.

For me and my freidns, Big N had always been the reference in terms of pure fun with games based on gameplays instead of visuals, especially for local multiplayer (SMash bros, Mario Kart,etc.) and amazing platformer adventure games such as the mairo galaxy and the zelda series.

However thes epast years, let's be honest, Nintendo has completely failed to maintain their standards. It's been almost 3 years that the WII U has een out and they haven't released any major or big title for WII U Users, concentrating all their efforts on handheld gaming....

Ok there are a few exceptions like the recent smash and mairo kart but...sincerely.

Stop lying to yourselves, Nintendo's reputation is nowhere near as it was during the NES, SNES, N64 or even Gamecube period...
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Sad news, RIP.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    not to sound too harsh, but due to some certain work culture, did he work himself to death, I remember years ago, a Sega head guy died on duty as well, you can hardly see anything like this happens in western company except Jobs.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    weee wrote: »
    not to sound too harsh, but due to some certain work culture, did he work himself to death, I remember years ago, a Sega head guy died on duty as well, you can hardly see anything like this happens in western company except Jobs.

He died of some form of cancer.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    55..He was young, it's a shame.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Blond wrote: »

he could have done a better job? he was ill with a tumor.

what the actual fuck man?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Dang, that's young.
    he could have done a better job? he was ill with a tumor.

what the actual fuck man?

effing gamers! Stuff like this makes me think daily about quitting the industry, I freaking wish it didn't effect me so much.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Man that's young. :(
  • Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    I'm always a big fan of Nintendo since I was young, their games are just awesome and really really creative. He's just too young to die. Kind of person who lives to work.

Respect.
    R.I.P
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    This was some really awful news, Iwata was probably one of the best programmers in this entire industry and his work contributions made up most of my childhood. It's sad to see such a great person pass away, hopefully his family will be alright.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    I usually say silly things on the forums from time to time, but this is truly a sad day. A hard working individual, modern gaming forefather, and inspiration to us all had passed.

He and Sakurai worked through crippling illness just to produce quality works.
    they are the embodiment never say die attitude I mentioned in a previous thread.
    Without him, games would not be what they are today.

Perhaps we should all take something from this and work with 120% gumption and press on no matter what.

I wish those who were close to him the best.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    A great passionate man goes to early, he will be missed.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    A genuine game dev that took over the most important game company that has ever existed. Bravo to you Iwata! A life well lived!
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    This was shitty news to wake up to this morning. I choose to believe that he is still living through the Iwata Puppet.
  • Principe Daemoniorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Principe Daemoniorum polycounter lvl 2
    55 years old? It's so sad to see such good people die young.
    Condolences to everyone at Nintendo.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I never would have expected that he was so badly ill. Looking back, this all explains his non-appearance at E3.

A real shame. I've never been much of Nintendo gamer, but I felt great respect for them, especially for going against the industry trends and doing what they do best. Iwata always seemed like that rare breed of a business man who legitimately cared about his company's products and its fans. Rest in peace.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Rip. The gaming world just lost a giant.

In other news. Blond just lost all respect I had for him, and it was already almost zero.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I'm sad, I loved seeing him in nintendo directs, he seems friendly and like he really, really, really cared about nintendo (the gaming part!) AND it's fans. And about Games being FUN! Back when Nintendo had so much trouble, I knew they would make it, because this man halfed his wage (what a wonderful thing to do!) and promised there would be great games, and I knew Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart would be coming soon, so I believed him! TBH I never was really worried about Nintendo back then, because I knew they'd just need a few GREAT games, that where already in the making.

Nintendo still has some great people left, but Iwata will be missed! Because he's been though such good and bad times with the company and gave Nintendo a FACE. Like Reggie does. To be honest, Nintendo does feel a LOT more familiar then any other companys do, because to those nintendo directs. At least to me.

Rest in Peace Iwata!
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Shame, 55's very young for something like this, RIP.
    effing gamers! Stuff like this makes me think daily about quitting the industry, I freaking wish it didn't effect me so much.

I think anyone whose worked in games for any amount of time grows to hate 'gamers'.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    He was such a lovely man. A sad day indeed.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    55 is young indeed. Rest in peace sire, your name maybe lost but it will never be forgotten.
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    Rest in peace Iwata-san.
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not the biggest fan of Nintendo but he was a truly amazing person, he did his best to bring fun entertaining games to all and did a hell of a job.
  • MDiamond
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    This is why I'll always respect him:

"To be blunt, at the time I was more of a programmer than I was a company president."
    -Iwata

The man wasnt a suit. He wasnt brought in from some other industry.
    He was a Dev.
    He knew what it meant to be in the trenches. He rose to the top from within by being the best and getting others to be the best.
    There are not a lot of leaders in this industry like him anymore, and probably wont be too many more following.
    Regardless of how any of us feel about the directions Nintendo chooses It's a loss on a grander scale for the industry than I think some people realize...
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    RIP Iwata, he did his way.

I hope nintendo continue to do it their way.

I often don't agree with it, but it certainly makes this industry a much better place for its different left of field approaches

tumblr_mdgmnbK7ME1ql3o7so1_400.png
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."

RIP Iwata :(
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    This definitely came out of left field and hit me way harder than I would have anticipated. His passion really shined for games and Nintendo as a whole. Rest in peace Iwata.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    MrHobo wrote: »
    He was a Dev. He knew what it meant to be in the trenches. He rose to the top from within by being the best and getting others to be the best.
    There are not a lot of leaders in this industry like him anymore, and probably wont be too many more following.
    Regardless of how any of us feel about the directions Nintendo chooses It's a loss on a grander scale for the industry than I think some people realize...

Very true. It's not something we've really seen anywhere else that I know of.
  • Tenshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tenshi polycounter lvl 13
    It's hard to accept it, i can't believe this happen.
    As a fan, we see him in almost all Nintendo's Direct, and his charisma were one of the things that make us happy. It's shocking news...
    i'm very sad today...