Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WW2 Nazi Dagger

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
Taking a break from my saloon to finish on old prop I started. Here's a WW2 Nazi Dagger. C&C's are always appreciated!

jd4cvlO.png

ZznInAl.png

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Ein dolchstoss

looks good, but the handle is pretty noisy at the edges and some of the scratches are very soft instead of sharp, looking odd. the blood alpha should be a bit softer too
  • Magichobo666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow this looks amazing, loving the shin effects
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest, the blade looks very blunt like it hasn't been sharpened yet. I like the raised center section on the blade but it feels like the areas at the sides of that should be sharp, shiny and have a grain that indicates the sharpening grindstones influence.

Right now, the thin layer of edge wear along the edge of the blade makes it look thick rather than sharp.
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence polycounter lvl 9
    This looks really good. I'm going to guess you might be using Substance Painter on this? I only say that because of the deep cuts on the blade. Trying to make cuts with the default brush in painter is difficult because it does not taper the edges. The cuts look like a machine cut into the metal. I would create some sort of custom brush in photoshop and use it to make these a bit more believable. Also the scratching around the edges feels to uniform. Like you just slapped an edge damage generator on it. Try to break this up a bit and give it a variance in with and amount of damage. Also the the bronze parts seem to not have and visible damage at all, only slight shifts in roughness. I would maybe add some of the cuts you have on the other metal material.

Here are the scratches I am talking about and also the area of the edge damage I feel is sticking out a bit too much in the wrong way.

9Y1Qv6T.jpg
  • Matt_Billeci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys! thank you so much for the awesome critiques. I totally agree with the uniformity wear around the blade and the fact that it also made the blade look dull. Here's an updated shot of this piece. I made some of the blade scratches less uniform, added some grain on the blade and weathering around some of the other metals. Thanks a bunch!

Xy2zH2k.png
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence polycounter lvl 9
    Looks much better, awesome job! =]