Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard style pieces for Portfolio

Benwiddowson
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Benwiddowson polycounter lvl 2
Hello Everyone! I'm finally doing the things I should have done years ago to get my portfolio where it should be. My goal is to work at Blizzard as a concept artist and illustrator. This piece has been on cgsociety's forum for a few weeks already and I haven't gotten much feedback on it, I figured I would try here as well. Im very open to any and all critic right now. It may look finished, but it is a MASSIVE psd all cut up for editing, so everything can be changed pretty easily.

Please be as harsh as necessary.
1286658_103447_large.jpg

As a side note, once this one is finished I would like to keep this thread for all the pieces. Is that allowed here?

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Welcome to PC, cool piece you got there.you can totally have work thread where you keep all your pieces, its actually encouraged :)

as for crits, this is specifically for blizzard style, there is really nothing wrong with what your doing here, just trying to help u focus on the blizzard style.

- no photo textures allowed, like the stonewall in the back
    - I see a few custom brushes like the flames and stuff, try to paint that by hand
    - ditch the filters, I see some chromatic aberration here and there, also DoF/blur.
    - I would also recommend bigger brushes/bigger brushstrokes.

good luck!
  • Benwiddowson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you and nice to meet you Iotet! I worked in your comments along with others from FB and elsewhere. This really helped and I finally figured out a method for painting blizzard rock formations lol. OF course I am never happy with my work so i am still open to further tweaks and corrections, but Im ready to move on for now!

1286658_103660_large.jpg

The next thing I am working on will be a weapon, probably a knife. and I will be modeling it in maya/zbrush
  • Benwiddowson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sills for some bladed weapons! daggars.jpg
  • Benwiddowson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First knife concept done
    knife1.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    besides the practical issue on how would you hold it, i'd say, work more on your material definition. i have no idea what kind of material it is made of.
  • linwail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail polycounter lvl 5
    I love the edits to your character painting, makes it look much more like a Blizzard style painting. As for the knife, the glow doesn't really read to me. Is it hot? Is it magical? I would try and define it. I think the painting of the knife is very nice, but as Neox mentioned, the design doesn't make much sense. It doesn't seem like characters would be able to hold this easily
  • VShane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VShane polycounter lvl 6
    feels like the handle should be scaled down, or the blade scaled up
  • Benwiddowson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Thanks for the comments and sorry for the late response! I tweaked the handle and polished up the textures then started working on the low poly model. benjamin-widdowson-knife1.jpg?1438290434
  • MykulJaxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MykulJaxin polycounter lvl 4
    I agree with Neox. How is this weapon supposed to be held/used? This is a fundamental flaw in the design. It doesn't matter how skillfully you render this as a piece, the functionality as a weapon is questionable.