Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

kp ps texturing techniques

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
killnpc polycounter
i'd like to share with Polycount some Photoshop texturing process stuff.

SOME PHOTOSHOP TEXTURING PROCESS STUFF

so, lets get to it.

the first thing i'd like to talk about is the pleasure in creating an "initial setup" Photoshop Action. for me, a texture begins with an unwrap, and so i start there.

here's an image of a UV texture map and its PSD layers before running the Action:
kp_ps_d3_01.png

note that when opening a Targa file, it should only have one layer called "Background", in italics.

here's after running the Action:
kp_ps_d3_02.png

i used this Action for Diablo 3 monsters, armor, and weapons to quickly springboard into the texturing process.

the purpose of this Action is to save time spent remaking the same Group folders and Layers, over and again. another benefit for standardizing Layers, is that it eases the use of additional Actions and Scripts. for example, this setup Action creates a "Layer from Background..." named "UVs". i can now reliably bind a separate Action that might toggle off the visibility of the Layer named "UVs", while the Action will not affect Layers named "UVS", "uvs", "Layer 1" and so on.

it's nice to incorporate any preferences your teammates might have so that they might also benefit from its use. for instance, on another project, a teammate was using a Photoshop Script called "savePSD+TGA" created by Funky Bunnies, which essentially outputs and names a Targa file based on the PSD's directory and the name of the currently selected Group, respectively. my Action would now have to conform with it, as well as accommodate the project's naming conventions.

when creating Actions for others, it would be best practice to test it before sending it out and i'd suggest using version numbers for when you will most likely come back to iterate on it.

here are the results for that Action:
kp_ps_kh_01.png

this Action was made for an unannounced project that which utilizes more modern-gen texture types, accommodated Funky Bunnies' Script, and custom channel specific texture maps required by the material shader.

in my next post, lets create a new initial setup Action, so you can see how one is made.

Replies

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    HOW TO CREATE AN INITIAL SETUP ACTION
    1. create a target PSD for reference.

this PSD will serve as the ideal for what you'd like the action end result to be. layer arrangements will heavily depend on the project's art requirements as well as your own working preferences. discover new approaches by taking a peek at your project PSDs and ask the authors any questions you might have.

here is the target PSD i decided on for this demonstration:
    kp_ps_01.png

while working on the action, i've found it's helpful to keep a screen-grab of your target layers in view.
    2. create and name a new photoshop action.

(alt+F9 is the default shortcut to open the actions panel window.)

kp_ps_02.png

i created a set folder named "demo" to store my action inside for better organization.

once you create a new action, the "Begin recording" button turns red.
    kp_ps_03.png

a new step, or operation, is added to the action list for each recordable act you make.

if you make a mistake and add redundant or unwanted steps, all you need to do is press the "Stop playing/recording" button to halt the recording. in this state, same as manipulating layers, you can now reorder your steps by click-dragging them up or down the stack, holding alt will duplicate them. lastly, you can delete them entirely by highlighting the offending steps and then clicking the "Delete" button.

after doing this type of action surgery, it can become uncertain if your changes will work as intended. a quick way to find out, is to open the history panel and revert the document back to its original snapshot instance. jump back over to the actions panel, be sure you've selected the top of your action sequence and press the "Play selection" button to execute the action from the start.
    kp_ps_13.png

now you can be certain your layers are in sync with your progress. when everything seems to be in order, hit the "Begin recording" button and continue where you left off.
    3. record the sequence of operations necessary to recreate your target PSD.

while recording, in as few steps as possible, match your target PSD's groups and layers.

double-clicking an italicized "Background" layer will execute the "Layer from Background..." command, which otherwise is found in its right-click menu. this will prompt the "New Layer" window where you can name the layer and set it's blendmode and opacity, all in one operation.
    kp_ps_04.png

and here's the result of that:
    kp_ps_05.png

hold alt and click the "Create new group" button to quickly name and create in one fell swoop.
    kp_ps_06.png

here's the result:
    kp_ps_07.png

unfortunately, the group was added above the "UVs" layer which doesn't match our target PSD layers.

in this case, click-dragging the group, to move it below the "UVs" Layer, will work just fine. a more reliable option however, would be to press "Ctrl+[" to move the group down one position.

although both acts move the current layer to the desired position, their operations are slightly different.

here is the action operation recorded with a click-drag:
    kp_ps_08.png

and here is the action operation recorded with the "ctrl+[" hotkey:
    kp_ps_09.png

the difference becomes much more noticeable when adding more layers.

"To: Layer 0" moves the current layer to the bottom of the stack.
    kp_ps_10.png

while "To: previous layer" only moves the current layer down once.
    kp_ps_11.png

these types of nuance can sometimes cause unforeseen behavior in your actions so it is a good thing to be aware of.

a few useful hotkeys for creating actions:
    "Ctrl+[" moves the current Layer down one.
    "Ctrl+]" moves the current Layer up one.
    "Alt+[" moves the selection down one.
    "Alt+]" moves the selection up one.

next, record the creation of the "Specular" and "Diffuse" groups.
    kp_ps_12.png

in the next post, we will finish creating our "initial setup" action by adding the remaining layers.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for posting this Cory!
    I was looking for info about moving layers with the keyboard, precisely because of actions and this came in handy!
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    ^ post blocker ;)j/k
    Much love for this post buuuuuuuuut wouldn't giving us a psd with this all done premade would help much more?

^Now I am not ungrateful and understand that learning how to do these things would benefit much more than just being handed solutions to save time but then again people are always TLDR types now a days.

But again I read this entirely and very much appreciate this look inside a famous studios how to as far as texturing goes, now I also become a post blocker ;) mods feel free to move both posts under his final post. I would feel like it is a non issue these posts should be moved to keep the flow of killings very helpful postings.

Again thanks very much, I learned in my own way but I was no where near this setup, I basically just put a bg layer of 90/90/90 (iz that right? idk)as a bg and went ham on layers ;) this is much more organized.

Can't wait for more.