Home General Discussion

Sony launches it's crowdfunding platform

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-07-01-sony-launches-crowdfunding-platform-for-internal-projects

MM..After Shenmue's crowdfunding success, I'm not really surprised however for a big company like that to need financial support for their projects small or big, it seems a tad bit ridiculous.

Then again, it might be a good opportunity for them to bring back risky IP's in which they are too scared to invest in.

FOr example, if I'd see anything for a possible Legend of Dragoon 2, I may fall in the trap.

Replies

• weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    not sure about Sony, but I do wish Sega take such an approach to get finance to back/reboot their arcade games from late 90's to early 2k's, title such as Scud Race, Virtua Striker, Fighting Vipers, Virtual On, Spike Out... or even those exclusives for Xbox, it's good to have some fun games you can easily pick up.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Blond wrote: »
    for a big company like that to need financial support for their projects small or big, it seems a tad bit ridiculous.

Try not think of it as big publisher using your money so they dont have to pay to make a game.
    This initiative is not game focused and its not about "needing" money. It's about proving a proving ground for ideas that normally wouldnt be seen.

Its more like...
    You've been working in the insurance division (or some other area, it said you just have to be an employee of Sony, Im not sure what thats limited to) for Sony for a while but you have this great idea for a revolutionary watch. Through this program you prove that there is a market and a desire for your idea and then Sony comes in and helps out with the rest.

I can imagine that there are many people who have ideas but would not be able to get the attention of upper management and decisions makers. This gives them an opportunity to get the idea out in front and back its validity with actual data and numbers. Managed correctly this could do wonders for them from a product standpoint
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Yeah i'd very much think of this more as like... Dragons Den, but there are two dragons.

One dragon is Sony, the other dragon is the crowd. If the crowd likes the idea enough to invest, then Sony will give it the full funding it needs.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Plot twist: everyone votes yes on everything just like they do on Greenlight.

(mercifully, as there's money involved that won't happen)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Sony are a large business - they don't need to work on personal projects, because they are not personable, and they don't need motivation. They'll naturally be aiming for mass market appeal.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    What stops them taking the money, starting the project, then back burning it for a few years with a skeleton crew?

There is little actual incentive to get the job done once they have the cash already and sometimes shit happens and projects fail. Will sony give it's customers refunds? Based on the track record they have for Ps4, i won't hold my breath.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVrmVKBacuc[/ame]

"It just doesn't settle right with me and for that reason, i'm out" - dragons den