Home Technical Talk

[3dsMax] Question about render setup for realistic perspective

Hi everyone! Long time since my last post!

I've been using 3dsMax for concept art for a while now, the problem that I've been noticing recently is that it feels like my renders of gray boxed scenes feel as if they're toy models (kind of looks like what you get from a tilt shift technique). Even more interesting is if I render a scene from a camera, the render's perspective is different than what I see in perspective view (I overlayed the render and the viewport screenshot in photoshop to check) it's slight, but the assets in the render look like toys.

Any tips on setting parameters for realistic environment renders (specifically FOV and perspective)? I'd be immensely grateful as I plan on using 3D heavily in my concept art.

Take care!

Replies

• DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post some of your renders for us to see?

Generally I'd study product shots in advertisements.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DireWolf wrote: »
    Can you post some of your renders for us to see?

Generally I'd study product shots in advertisements.

Sure! This is all I have at the moment, it may be me nit picking, but it feels like some parts of this render are toy models. It's supposed to be a building with a landing pad and other various shapes for reference.

6o5mmPs.jpg
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's see.

It's weird that your camera does not match. I'm not a MAX user so maybe someone else can chime in.

Now, about lighting. The simplest way is to use HDR lighting. Give your model a proper ground to sit on, throw an HDR light on it and you should get something quite decent, depends on the HDR. You can grab a lot of free ones from HDR labs sIBL.
    http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

They offer sIBL GUI for easy set up in MAX
    http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/framework.html

If you're not familiar with Mental Ray, search some tutorial about it. You'll want to know how to use global illumination.

Studio lighting set up is also an excellent option. Here I grab a model from internet and throw together a little scene. You usually need a ground plane and a back plate. They can be combined the way I did. Google "3 point lighting" and "studio lighting" and you'll find many more set ups.

m8JVkk5.png

Here's the render using Redshift.

ztWu0f7.png
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    This does not have anything to do with rendering or camera, the model is just so basic and theres nothing about it yet that's all. If you want to establish a scale, make sure the detail is the correct size and there are things that people can recall based on their scale. If there is no detail or indication of scale, things can appear tiny or giant, its just about proportions
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    This does not have anything to do with rendering or camera, the model is just so basic and theres nothing about it yet that's all. If you want to establish a scale, make sure the detail is the correct size and there are things that people can recall based on their scale. If there is no detail or indication of scale, things can appear tiny or giant, its just about proportions

Hmmm, you're probably right, I'll flesh it out a bit more

Thanks DireWolf for the resources! I'll check it out