Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CryptRoller - Student Project

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
(UPDATE)
Vote for us on THE ROOKIES:
http://www.therookies.co/next-gen-gaming/game-of-the-year/cryptroller/

Here's the game we have been working on for the last (very short semester).
We are a team of 4 second semester Animation & Game students + 2 awesome sound guys. Maybe should have posted here earlier, but deadline is on wednesday, so there won't be much we can change now, but I'd still love to hear your critiques!

Logline:
When the most evil necromancer ever was decapitated his last curse killed everyone in his lair.
Reduced to a skull, the necromancer has to work his residue magic to take control over different skeletons of his dead enemies and solve puzzle chambers in order to get back to his body and former glory.

So basically it's a game about rolling around as a skull, possessing different kind of bodys and use their unique skills and, of course, throwing around your head D

Target platform is PC (Unreal Engine 4)

Team:
Manuel Mutter: Gamedesign, Animations, Character Modelling (Runner & skull)
Marius Pieroth: Advisor, Blockout, Environment Art, Shadercreation
Rohan Yang: Project Manager, Rigging, Concept Art, Intro
Ramon Schauer (aka me): Visionkeeper/Producer, Programming, Character Modelling (brute), Lighting, Levelbuilding
Jeremy Ondrey & Fabian Klein: Sound & Music

Ingame Screenshots:
hj4niXPjpg

WNYanrLjpg

fFThv5zjpg

ZVwDIljjpg

D7TS9fnjpg

GbxxJuMjpg

vemDkbejpg

m88S02pjpg

1ayeoDtjpg

More Images, maybe some concept art and of course some gameplay videos and the downloadlink will follow on wednesday, after our final presentation D

Replies

• Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    We had our final presentation today and the game was actually received quite well :D

Here's the download if you want to check it out:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-y162VoFgkVWW9IejhEY2dSTEU/view?usp=sharing

And a video of the gameplay:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlTW9tMUyiw[/ame]
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Great gameplay idea, animations could use some work, def the weakest part of the game, but then again its a student project :)
  • GrungyStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    I actually really enjoyed watching that. It really looks like a game i'd actually play. The gameplay is quite good imo, i like the idea of switching bodies, and how you can throw his head places is awesome. As lotet said, i think the animation could be better. It really stuck out. But the Art is very well done as well as level design. That being said you and your team surely deserve a pat on the back
  • Jethex
    thanks for your feedback, and I will definitely work on my animations.:)
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I agree with others—the art is really good, and I love the gameplay idea! If you wanted to polish it up more, I noticed that the smashed wall rocks/debris just disappear. It'd be cool if they stayed around if possible!
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    I am glad you guys like the overall game, I wasn't really sure if it would work at all.
    Just to clarify, Jethex is our animation and gamedesign dude.
    Since these were his first animations I am quite happy with them, especially since the main purpose of this project was to learn and there was definetly a lot of progress for everyone :D

We could have done so much more awesome things with the gameplay mechanics, like flying bodytypes or underwaterstuff and so on.. but the semester was just too short :(

Also, if you are interested in the process of the brute dude, you can check out my learning diary, were I have some renders of the highpoly sculpt etc.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129758
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Guys!
    We have entered our game into the THE ROOKIES contest.
    If you liked our project and want to support us it would be awesome if you could vote for us here:
    http://www.therookies.co/next-gen-gaming/game-of-the-year/cryptroller/
    We are also reworking parts of the game. @Jethex is currently redoing the animations, while here is a WIP of the updated runner.

• Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Started upgrading the head. Left is the new one, right the old one.
    Still WIP.

• Lexinator117
    Offline / Send Message
    Lexinator117 polycounter lvl 4
    I am up way later than i should have been tonight but i played some of the game, and have a few pieces of advice, if you'll hear them:

1. Its already been said, but the animations do need some work, step one is the feet aligning with the ground movement speed.  
    2.  When the head goes down some of those drops/hills the speed is a little silly and difficult to control and make use of.
    3. Lastly, there are lots of ways to get stuck, perhaps it was just me pushing the boundaries of a student project (good work by the way), but as far as level construction is concerned, i could throw my head to parts of the map where it would either get trapped behind pieces of geometry, or fly way far out to a spot i cannot return from, either prematurely hitting a save point there, or missing one earlier. At one point i grabbed a runner body, walked up the stairs, then accidentally threw my head downstairs, and was then rendered helpless by the fact that i could no longer reach the body. For this reason (and it being the wee hours of the morning i couldn't complete it.)

All that being said; I know its been a good while since you posted that first link and its cool to see that you're still chugging away at it, god knows how many projects ive started and stopped. Also, i love the fact that your game gave me a reason to say "I threw my head" multiple times.
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lexinator117
    Thanks for playing our game, I really appreciate that you took the time :)
    To be honest, we stopped working on it since we had our final presentation, but decided to rework parts of it for THE ROOKIES contest.
    As part of that, the new runner model is currently being rigged and will receive all new animations :)
    I know there are some ways to get stuck, which I hope to fix them soon - before our presentation we just had not enogh time for detailed testing, since we decided on our leveldesign fairly late in the project. Having said that, I really value your feedback, it is really helpfull for us.
    Also, I think we all can agree on the fact that throwing your head is awesome. :smiley:
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    We have been nominated as Game of the Year at THE ROOKIES awards. So exciting! :)
    http://www.therookies.co/results/draft/next-gen-gaming/