Home› 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for critique on a fight scene!

Hi everyone, first time posting my art here!

This was my entry for the Heroes of the Storm fanart contest and the first battle scene I have ever tried doing effectively. I'm aware of some problems (such as Illidan's [bottom guy] weapon perspective and the confusion on what's happening in the bottom area, I thinkg I didn't spend enough time planning the pose...:( ) but I'm curious as to how I could improve it beyond fixing those.

I would like for it to be more impactful. I'm not too sure if I applied the motion blur and background correctly, and not sure about the anatomy since it looks a bit weird (if I had more time I would have focused more on anatomy problems, I'm not used to drawing muscular men)

Anyway, any help is appreciated, all crits are welcome. Thank you!!

Replies

• gavinli
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinli polycounter lvl 3
    Hi mythgarnet,

Sorry you haven't received any feedback yet and I hope this isn't too late for the entry. It's looking really interesting so far! The main thing I'd work on is the read on Zeratul as the angle of the right leg is a little too short for the ellipse band on its thigh. If the angle of the knee pad was more towards the direction of Illidan that should also help with the perspective a little - be sure to flip it as well if you haven't already as that might help you to see what I'm referring to if you've been looking at this composition for a while.

Since their local skin colours are quite similar it might help to separate them a little. If the atmospheric fog is doing that much to Zeratul's left leg then I'd say it's safe to use some more atmospheric fog to separate Illidan's right hand to Keratul's left arm. You can also use that same fog to inject a bit more colour as well, whether you want to separate the characters with a green air from the weapons or just a cold background to push Keratul out and away from Illdan's lower, warmer end of the composition, etc.

Illidan's wing tips take too much attention away from the composition. I'd lower his left wing tip and also lower the middle joint on the left wing that's compositionally almost touching Zeratul - either make them overlap clearly or pull them away entire. Try to have the left two wing joints on horizontally aligned with the right two wing joints because they're pulling too much focus away from the fight.

Illidan's left forearm could be lengthened a little I think.

Don't let those suggestions detract from the fact that this is a fantastic piece already though :) I hope that helps mythgarnet, keep up the awesome work!

Best regards,

Gavin
  • mythgarnet
    Hello, thank you for giving me a critique :) unfortunately I already sent in the art for the contest, but those are all great points to consider for my next pieces in the future. Especially the part about atmospheric fog, I really need to try that out! Need to work on my perspective and anatomy also.

Thanks a lot. Cheers!
  • gavinli
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinli polycounter lvl 3
    You're very welcome and keep up the great work. See you around the forums!

Best,

Gavin