Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unity 5.1 Light test

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Hey all been posting after long here. So couple of things first the work is done purely as part of learning Unity lighting so assets are not mine. Well I cleaned some meshes and made some UV for light. Original scene is from Archinteriors vol4.

Only thing I would complain about is the lack of SSR (screen space reflections) in Unity.

As for blotchy / artifacts on meshes they are caused by auto lightmap UV in Unity. Tip if you have soft / curvy meshes its best to make your own lightmap UV (channel 2) in 3d program otherwise this will be a major issue.

Below images are unedited and without any camera effects inside Unity 5.1.

Please do share any tips / feedback on how to improve lighting for such environments. :)

P.S I did not use any texture to save uv unwrap time and focus on lighting.

PywGMR1p0npMDwaFHvhVWkyx5Cub4xy24XQo9ncnQYU=w1920-h905-no

Qg2FWTvA-8fkkSOE_wT535ppts3xozcZKGMJzWNXUIw=w1920-h905-no

ZWhu5ez7lwDekhvWB-l3GjvhqT6nLxuCNkgJkFZQ_dY=w1920-h905-no

7obpUz3YPU_a2wpmBBcKKI_eIzWW1YQ1caV9mb0G3ag=w1920-h905-no

Replies

• HAWK12HT
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    interesting test scene, hard to see what the lighting is actually doing because the room is such a bright orange all over, why not just make one wall orange and the rest of the room a more neutral colour closer to gray or white then the light bounces would be more apparent. you could also use ies light alphas to make those small circle lights seem more real or use actual baked spot lights from those etc?
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Are those white lamps being used as light sources, or are you doing something with GI? It's pretty bright for the single light source outside, but it doesn't feel like other lights are really used. It's just kind of confusing as to where the lighting is coming from/what's going on with it.

I'd dial down whatever is going on with the interior and focus on the outside light coming in, the GI from that, and the sky ambient light, then focus on the smaller interior lights. Either the lamps or the ceiling lights, I wouldn't really do both.
  • HAWK12HT
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Cool thanks guys, will do some tweaks as suggested.