Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Working on illustration, requesting critique!

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
samwoodart polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, hope everybody is doing well.

I started a new piece today for my portfolio and I want to make sure the sketch is solid before moving onto painting. Any advice/critique would be lovely.

Thanks in advance!

Dkn7LDi.png

Replies

• samwoodart
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, cleaned up the sketch a little.

VyLDAK8.png
  • samwoodart
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a little bit of time to work on this. Rendering for days! ;) Figuring out how to balance values and control the edges so the forms are readable.

D9cgs08.png
  • chrilley
    Offline / Send Message
    chrilley polycounter lvl 10
    Looks like its coming along nicely. The silhouettes of the two bounty hunters(?), especially the one furthest to the right I like a lot!

One thing that comes to mind is the angle of the ship; At the moment its at an almost perfect side-view angle. To me it makes it feel a bit like a cardboard cut-out compared to the other objects the scene. I'd consider rotating it into a 3/4 view.
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    chrilley wrote: »
    [...]
    One thing that comes to mind is the angle of the ship; At the moment its at an almost perfect side-view angle. To me it makes it feel a bit like a cardboard cut-out compared to the other objects the scene. I'd consider rotating it into a 3/4 view.

Well, it is a perfect side view. All lines are perfectly parallel to the imageboundaries. This ship really needs to be put into the perspective the rest of the artwork has. It really hasn't any. You should see stuff that is underneath the ship, but you don't. Should be enough for a start to transform it into perspective and then go from there.
    You should perhaps also change the left side wall, its really not fitting the characters perspective. I think thats the biggest flaws in your illustration right now.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say you should conform the perspective to the left side wall, as it would make it a very powerful perspective shot. Also i feel like the ship ending just shy of the right border and leaving that little sliver of background isn't a good choice. It's just too sudden and feels like the scene is cut off.

Other than that I don't see anything off, keep working on it, it's a nice concept. :)
  • samwoodart
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys very much for your kind words! I really appreciate the advice guys, this helps so much. I'm done with uni for the week so I can start working on this again, I'm very excited!
  • samwoodart
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to thank everybody for the critique! I think I'm happy with this image. :P

XMO8Mb3.png