Home General Discussion

The Talent Gene

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
WilliamVaughan greentooth
In an international collaboration, scientists identified a new area in our DNA which is associated with talent. Using a new research tool developed at the University of Michigan, researchers were able to reanalyze samples from previous genetic studies to identify variations in the genes that may increase an individual’s abilities in various art - related areas. This new technology allows researchers to provide a more detailed map of the genes than previously was possible, making it feasible to understand why some people are simply more talented than others, and to suggest targets for new and better treatments for individuals with little to no talent.

Continue reading here:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/talent-gene-william-vaughan?trk=prof-post

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Bit of a click bait isn't it :)
    This amazing new discovery put to rest the age old argument of natural talent vs. hard work. This discovery is also fantastic in the truest sense of the word, as it is pure fantasy, something that I just made up so that I could discuss the secret behind every talented person I have worked with in my years as professional artist.

I understand that you are the author, and I do agree with your points - but I thought I'd clear things up, since this kind of stuff can derail quickly !

As a matter of fact (and that's just personal opinion here, for what it's worth...) I feel like it undermines an otherwise intersting message a little, as the article would totally stand on it's own anyways.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    so having no talent is a disease that needs treatment LOL
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    waat? We have more "sophisticated" and "educated" people who will tell us why some artists are more talented then others.:poly118:
  • WilliamVaughan
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Bit of a click bait isn't it :)

I understand that you are the author, and I do agree with your points - but I thought I'd clear things up, since this kind of stuff can derail quickly !

As a matter of fact (and that's just personal opinion here, for what it's worth...) I feel like it undermines an otherwise intersting message a little, as the article would totally stands on it's own anyways.

Point taken... Thanks for adding the second bit and for the feedback. Much appreciated!
  • battlecow
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    I find the use of the word talent a bit misleading, the studies you mention ( and you really should point to your sources because international scientific colaboration is pretty vague) talk of enhanced creative thinking due to higher levels serotonin that increase the brains connectivity in the posterior cingulate cortex.This is also the case for people suffering of neuropsychiatric disoders like being bipolar. This basicly means some people have a brain somewhat more inclined to creative thinking, but that does not mean that they are more creative, or more "talented". As you say in the article just like the people that worked on these studies (in sweden,germany and the US I believe) social factors play a more crucial role in how the brain shapes itself.
    While I think 90% of your article was interesting and informative your introduction over simplifies the matter since there is no "talent" gene like there is no "sport"gene but a variety of factors. Some genes may make someone practice more, or learn more from practicing for exemple. Also one must not forget that by pursuing the same daily activity we remap our brain and thus increase certain abilities.
    Suggesting that there might be "treatments for inviduals with no talent" in the future is really far fetched and wrong and gives me the feeling you've just jumped on some hype bandwagon with little research on the subject matter.
    However the rest of the article I find to be really good, particularly your experience as an educator. I understand that you are discoursing on the difference of innate and acquired skill, but by popularizing the science studies too much you are stating things that are inaccurate.

I did enjoy the article though, sorry if I came on a bit hard.
  • WilliamVaughan
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow wrote: »
    I find the use of the word talent a bit misleading, the studies you mention ( and you really should point to your sources because international scientific colaboration is pretty vague)....

Suggesting that there might be "treatments for inviduals with no talent" in the future is really far fetched and wrong and gives me the feeling you've just jumped on some hype bandwagon with little research on the subject matter.

I did enjoy the article though, sorry if I came on a bit hard.

This sentence might have been overlooked.

"This discovery is also fantastic in the truest sense of the word, as it is pure fantasy, something that I just made up so that I could discuss the secret behind every talented person I have worked with in my years as professional artist."

Glad you enjoyed the article and I appreciate the feedback.
  • battlecow
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    I did overlook it! ahah .
    I feel quite stupid now as if I'd just jumped on the hype bandwagon myself.
    If I told you that english wasn't my first language would it make me look less like a fool? I guess not :D
    I will have to live with the shame!
  • WilliamVaughan
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow wrote: »
    I did overlook it! ahah .
    I feel quite stupid now as if I'd just jumped on the hype bandwagon myself.
    If I told you that english wasn't my first language would it make me look less like a fool? I guess not :D
    I will have to live with the shame!

No worries.. English is my first language and I overlook all sorts of things when I read. The days seem to get shorter and shorter so I findmyself skimming for teh meat in articles from time to time.

No shame...