Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Getting Started With ZBrush, Any Tips or Suggestions?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
So I'm just getting my toes wet in ZBrush. I've learned most of the major opening pit falls from getting something on screen that you can actually edit, to knowing how to correctly save a project. I've got something I want to sculpt and a concept for it:

krNJKZS.jpg

From what I understand about the program I'm going to need to learn how to do the following to make this guy:
  • Basic Brush Control - Standard Brush, Clay Build-Up, Planar Transform, Move, any other super important or helpful ones?
  • Shadow Box - for complex and hard surface shapes
  • Insert Primitive - for larger chunks and quick starting hard surface objects
  • Dynamesh - for solid topology that doesn't get gross during build up
  • Sub Tools - for easy access to specific objects and control of local detail

Did I miss anything?

Replies

• onizuka92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onizuka92 polycounter lvl 9
    the only thing i could suggest is duplicating, using zremesh for cleaner geometry and project all for projecting detail onto the remeshed/duplicated model.

Also: clip brushes for hard surface shapes, Transpose tool for extrusions and geometry placement, Poly-grouping and slice tool.

Basic example of using polygroups and slice https://vimeo.com/29622321
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, yeah I can see how the slice and polygroups are going to be critical.

I'm assuming the project all is a form of duplication for creating mirrored object copies?
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man every time I even start something in ZBrush, no matter now shitty and incomplete the results, I immediately feel like my ability to envision how a design fits together improves. I'm back to hacking on the concept. I'll likely be paring it down to just the head because that's more than complex enough for a learning project I think.