Home Technical Talk

Maya skinning super frusterating problem

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with Maya skinning.

Last night I setup my skin the way I wanted with proper deformations. I saved out the file, closed maya.

When I opened up the file today I did a play of the animations, and everything looked fine.

Then I selected the mesh, and the whole thing broke. The skinning changed quite a bit.

I can recreate the problem over and over, and can't find a way to stop it, even managing to get to the joints and lock the weights.

So anytime I open the maya file, I can scrub to anywhere in the animation and all will be fine with the skinning the way I left it last night. Then I object select the mesh, and the skinning changes, the mesh deforms to ways I didn't want it, and skinning goes missing from some parts entirely.

I would really appreciate some help with this one if anyone has the time. I'm a skinning novice and its driving me crazy.

Replies

• jfeez
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm... there's a bunch of stuff it could be; mesh history and skin weights not being normalized are the first 2 things that come to mind. But honestly this is such a specific thing i cant really say for sure without looking through the file. I would look there first and if not try to save off the skin data with a tool like http://www.comet-cartoons.com/melscript.php (there's a skin saving tool in here, its slow but its solid), remove the skin cluster, rebind and reload the skin. If all that fails i don't mind digging around the file for you if its not super secret work and letting you know what it was :p