My game (MMORPG)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
mannygill99 polycounter lvl 3

Replies

• chrilley
    Offline / Send Message
    chrilley polycounter lvl 10
    To be honest so far I don't think there is much of a game yet to be able to judge if a lot of people would play this.

This is not meant as a mean put-down, I'm just saying that so far there isn't really much happening. Do the bad guys try to chase you down? They seem to do their own thing until you walk up and kill them.

So it feels very early to try judge this from a game play perspective.

Some feedback on the art:

- With characters of that size and shape the animation tend to need a bit more love. It seems you are treating each limb as a separate entity rather than paying attention to the overall pose of each frame. This makes it look like the character is partly static with some arms and legs that are alive(though awkwardly so).

- It doesn't quite feel like the characters and the platforms belong in the same world, their art styles being too different in my opinion.

- I'd consider giving the main character a more dynamic pose too(look up any side-view game for some reference, doesn't even have to be 2d art.
  • mannygill99
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for your opinion :) appreciate it a lot.

i started this project about 3 months ago.. before that I had no idea how to even make a video game until i started my schooling... pretty cooll
  • mrawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    great start!

um
  • mannygill99
    Offline / Send Message
    @ mrawolf

im a fan of your game, I feel honored you replied
  • Irisswan
    I prefer games which have fine characters and scenery.
  • mannygill99
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Hey I just found out how to improve my animations =)
  • mannygill99
    Offline / Send Message
  • mannygill99
    Offline / Send Message
    BUMP ^^^

I love all feedback

new update coming
  • mannygill99
    Offline / Send Message
    Added female knight and female wizard to the game (=
  • mannygill99
    Offline / Send Message
  • lamb
    Offline / Send Message
    lamb polycounter lvl 7
    What are you actually going for? Every game needs rules and incentives for the player. It is not solely about running around killing monsters. It is more often about the how and why than about the what. What is your expectation for the final product?

If you are serious, here are things you can improve upon right now: tiles, characters, animations. look at games you like, get inspired.
  • mannygill99
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lamb What im going for is a fantasy MMORPG. so If you think of maplestory... thats is what i want to create....

Next Update you can :
    - pick any of the characters above and play it.
    - 1 unique attack for each class
    - kill a few monsters
    - scare the birds away
    - new user interface
  • Kromus
    Hey Mannygill99, good to see people showing their game ideas!

My feedback first and foremost would be, since you're after an opinion on your game, to create some kind of Game Design Document in Word or OpenOffice. This doesn't have to be too long, and can have pictures. If you have a document that outlines the rules of the game, bit of environment background/story and what each classes individual skill and general abilities are, it will help give you structure to making your game, and what you need to actually create.

This is very useful when you don't have much visual to share, so if you can convey your idea across to people, it will allow them to get excited about something, and also something to give feedback on.

Here's an example. Feel free to throw pictures in!
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-I08qX76DgSFyN1ByIGtPuqXh7bVKraHcNIA25tpAzE/edit

I know creating a word document sounds boring when it comes to Game Design, but its actually quite exciting. You can get lost in your idea as you have no limitation as you're simply stating what it will be like, though I can appreciate "Learn by doing" is also good.

On the art side, not a lot I can say that hasn't been said already; I would say look at other 2D art games for ideas and styles and since it looks like you're making a modular floor, you're probably going to want to improve those floor textures.

Hope this helps
  • mannygill99
    Offline / Send Message
    ty sir @Kromus indeed it helped, I was already in the process of creating a game design document, but the template you provided is a lot better than the one I was originally using

Regarding my art.... each character will get get a bit more refined and polished before I release the game....

currently working on magic spells FX and animations