Home General Discussion

Each indie game dev role's Tools Cost

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
Like, programmer, designer, artist, etc etc

What are the tools they have to have to work on an indie game project.

Say, game engine (UE4, Unity3D) ...... minimal cost ??
What else do they need. Something to write C++ in ? minimal cost ??

Zbrush $700
Photoshop $15 a month
Maya $150 a month
Substance/Quixel ??

Do UI artists use Photoshop as well ? Anything else ? Flash or something for 2d animation ?
VF artist uses Maya ?

Anyone with answers/experience can shed some light on this ??

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Substance Live is $20 a month till it is paid off.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Well for programmers, the base tools needed to get work done vary depending on the project. If you use a free engine like Unity/UE4/etc, you could save money assuming you don't need any plugins. Visual Studio Community is also free for use in paid applications if you are working with a small team or on an open source project, or if you are a student.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    you can use UE4 for $20 per seat. You pay for 1 month, cancel your subscription. you`ll be able to use it for as long as you want, but wont receive any updates to the engine without subbing again. unless they changed that?
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    slipsius wrote: »
    you can use UE4 for $20 per seat. You pay for 1 month, cancel your subscription. you`ll be able to use it for as long as you want, but wont receive any updates to the engine without subbing again. unless they changed that?

UE4 is free for use now, and then they have a royalty type agreement for publishing IIRC. :)
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    UI designers typically use photoshop, illustrator, flash and scaleform (that's fading), and in some cases after effects and/or a 3d package. (Blender would be fine.) In all honesty though a good designer could switch a lot of those for free alternatives and you'd never know.

You could also pay $10/mo for mudbox or $300(?) for 3D Coat instead of $800 for ZBrush if it meets your needs.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    .............. Are you guys saying we artists are the only one paying our money to work on someone else project ?? (especially rev-share, yuck)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    PyrZern wrote: »
    .............. Are you guys saying we artists are the only one paying our money to work on someone else project ?? (especially rev-share, yuck)
    Well that's not entirely the case, while it may be free to get started with programming a game, most professional programmers have a set of go-to plugins that aren't free (unless you're a student, a lot of companies seem to love giving handouts which is awesome!) Some plugins like ReSharper for example, can range from $200 - $600+ a year for professionals, however professional programmers would most likely be working at a company which will cover their cost of software. Independent programmers would have to foot their own bills of course.

Artists could technically do art for free as well. Blender, Krita, Gimp, etc. are all free. It comes down to the fact that the industry standard software for artists is expensive and most people would rather use the industry standard software.

Overall, I would say artists do end up paying more money though.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Freelancers will usually pay for their own tools, which they are expected to calculate into their rate as overhead. There are also tax benefits there.

A studio should be supplying its employees with tools. It's often cheaper to get bulk licenses and it's MUCH easier to make sure everything used is legal. A while back there was a post on CGTalk about companies being sued because it was discovered that a contractor had used pirated software, that can easily kill a studio.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    from an audio engineer (sound design) /composers perspective it could vary allot but assuming you start with the bare miminum (nothing pirated) and your composer has little :

- sound libraries for DAW compositions : depending on your need and budget this could take up between 100 +- 2000+ dollars. Think of sound libraries as ingame "assets" . The more choice you have and the higher the quality will benefit your game.

- DAW software (Qubase, protools, logic etc.): same situation as the sound libraries yet for DAW (digital audio workstation) software there are more then enough free or cheap alternatives to dampen the cost if needed (Fruityloops/Reaper etc.) +- 100 / 600 dollars.

- Sound design / Recording gear can be pricey but well worth it. I find that this is one aspect of videogames that is still heavily underappreciated. A good investment would be a field recorder that sets you back 100 +- 300 dollars.

- Third party software like FMOD are cheap or free to use.

If your budget allows it then you can hire an experienced freelance composer who usually has the needed tools already (but this will reflect in his pay!).
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    With cheaper texture painting software ($20 a month towards full purchase of Substance Painter, Krita for free, and Clip Paint Studio being on sale at times for around $80.) That portion of the game artist pipeline has been more manageable pricewise.

Blender is getting better as a free option for a 3d modeling/animation suite for indie development.

While Zbrush is fantastic and honestly isn't that bad price wise considering the free updates and not being a subscription type license you can possibly get by using Sculptris or Blender's sculpting tools for indie development. (Or use sub-surf modeling)

There are enough free indie versions of game engines to really be good to go with whatever you need for a project.

Audio is definately a part you will probably end up spending money on while there are programs like Musagi and Audacity to help along the way for free.
  • DanglinBob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My main cost, on the business side toolset, are email newsletter fees (which for me come in at about 50/month due to the volume I send). That plus web hosting... at 10/month.

That's about it really, most of the other stuff is opensource.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    For audio, if you play it smart there are a lot of options:

Podium Free (sadly only single core, Pro version at 50$)

Studio One Prime (I see that the new version is not yet available, no VST/i)

LMMS (if you want to hurt your eyes)

and surprise:

Ardour (Windows version is on nightly builds, full version costs 1$, and it's bugged like hell)

For editing, alongside with Audacity I use Wavosaur, I'm still looking for a good (free) multi track editor.

At some point you have to buy at least Native Instruments Komplete, which doesn't even cost that much, considering what it offers.

u-he plugins are also cool.

Almost forgot about this:

http://www.tracktion.com/downloads/tracktion4
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    For artists you could use blender, Ive test driven it and I cant tell what all the fuss is about, it works just fine. Zbrush you should have already for yourself, or even 3dcoat. For photoshop you can use gimp, I have used it and it works fine. Unity and ue4 are free till you start to sell with ue4 or you might want to buy unity pro but the free version is almost full. xnormal is free and does everything you need. For sound you can use Audacity which is free and I use a lot, you can even master with it.

If you are an indy (game) artist there isnt really a lot you have to spend your money on.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    don't forget to check licenses (e.g. MIT, creative commons, GPL, etc). for "free" stuff people may use: fonts, stock images, textures; but also for software libraries, code pieces, etc. Some of it may come in the form of subscriptions, some if it as one-time payments.

Also, don't forget to include costs for operating system (Windows, OS X, etc.) for each seat.

Obviously, your indie needs totally depend how "indie" you want to go. A tight knit team can compromise more. The bigger the team, the more lack of standardization will bit you in the ass when it comes to sharing tools, images, meshes, etc. Also a small team may be ok with e.g. Blender or other less common software. But if you "hire" or invite new devs they may not be comfortable working in a not well established package.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Programming is now free for small indies (Visual Studio Community) - this is a new thing. Once your revenue or employee headcount hits certain numbers though, you've got to pay for it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    Programming is now free for small indies (Visual Studio Community) - this is a new thing. Once your revenue or employee headcount hits certain numbers though, you've got to pay for it.

There's never been a forced cost for tools for programming, MS just happens to have their own handy compiler and IDE, in which visual studio express is entirely free these days.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I bought Zbrush when it was $200 or something.
    While it's cool and a great tool I accustomed for, right now I would rather buy and use 3d coat. Prefer it over Substances too, easier and more convenient imo.

Also I know 3d max pretty well but prefer Blender to model anything, too bad it still can't export things well enough, so you would probably need something Autodesk labeled

Photoshop rental is still a must imo, although I heard very positive opinions about Affinity (Mac only)
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    What sort of trouble do you have exporting things? On my projects I've been working on, using Blender with Unity has been extremely smooth and I haven't had any problems with exporting objs for xnormal or zbrush or any other software either.

Granted it could depend on which version of Blender you use, but normally if there is an exporter problem it's fixed pretty quick.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    problems with exporting materials and edited(rotated) vetex normals within fbx files

obj works fine but not enough to export precise vertex info to work well with normal maps
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    To say there is no cost to programming is a lie.

For example Raknet used to cost a lot to use. Some popular libraries also have a cost.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, just no.

Freelance programmers are almost never responsible for buying libraries. They're hired to write code, not buy it. You don't hire 3D artists and expect them to buy assets from elsewhere; in fact you'd probably be pretty pissed off if they did.

Programmers might recommend you buy a library to save time and money, however. Reinventing the wheel is a waste of time for the freelancer, and costly for the client.
    eld wrote: »
    There's never been a forced cost for tools for programming, MS just happens to have their own handy compiler and IDE, in which visual studio express is entirely free these days.

This is somewhat true, but it can be a real ballache these days to get things to compile outside of Visual Studio. Even Intek's compiler has issues with things like Unreal 4...

Visual Studio Express has always been free, but it's usage is restricted. Visual Studio Community is free for non-commercial use, and teams with a small annual turnover and headcount. Otherwise, Visual Studio isn't actually free still.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    This is somewhat true, but it can be a real ballache these days to get things to compile outside of Visual Studio. Even Intek's compiler has issues with things like Unreal 4...

Visual Studio Express has always been free, but it's usage is restricted. Visual Studio Community is free for non-commercial use, and teams with a small annual turnover and headcount. Otherwise, Visual Studio isn't actually free still.

Express should be fine for commercial use last time I checked and it seems to play nice with unreal engine 4. If it's just for any other c++ related game development there's plenty of compilers and IDE's out there.

I think there's plenty of benefits in getting away from the idea of high-end graphical indie-game development, such as cutting down time required and avoiding the high cost of many tools.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    pangaea wrote: »
    To say there is no cost to programming is a lie.

For example Raknet used to cost a lot to use. Some popular libraries also have a cost.

As in, there's no cost to picking up a compiler, using most libraries and then write a game with it.

Raknet is fantastic but there's nothing stopping anyone from writing some simple net-code without it.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually freelancers use libraries and premade assets as a base all the time. Emplyers pay you to deliver according to their project requirements, getting the job done faster by not reinventing the wheel boosts your reputation and gets you more work. Obviously you're bound to some restriction usually, especially with code, but a huge aspect of the programming world is reusability.

Designers collect fonts, artists collect textures and programmers collect snippets.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Express should be fine for commercial use last time I checked and it seems to play nice with unreal engine 4

Yeah, it can be used commercially, but it's the restrictions in functionality you run into that can cause problems - as an example it doesn't allow for plugins, which means no direct integration with version control. That's problematic if you're freelancing in a team with more than a handful of engineers.

It's also superceded by Community - it isn't likely to get more updated versions, so it's going to fade away and become increasingly incompatible with what other people are using.

Unreal 4 wants VS 2015 ideally, and there is no express version of 2015.

Ergo, don't use Express, use Community.

Equanim wrote: »
    Actually freelancers use libraries and premade assets as a base all the time. Emplyers pay you to deliver according to their project requirements, getting the job done faster by not reinventing the wheel boosts your reputation and gets you more work.

NO.

Absolutely DO NOT do this. Taking Raknet as an example, if you use Raknet in a project, and hand it over to a client, that client has not entered a legal agreement to use Raknet. If you do this, you put them in an extremely dubious legal position. Things like this can sink entire projects, and potentially entire companies. You won't be getting more work from them, and they'll probably ensure you get blacklisted amongst their peers too.

If you want to use a library, your client MUST deal with the licensing and approve it's use before you integrate it. As a freelancer, you are not a representative of the company and you cannot enter a legal agreement on their behalf, nor can you assume that 'free' code is compatible with other agreements they may have entered, or their own internal policies.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Ambershee's right. Even when using code licensed under MIT, you absolutely have to discuss it with your client.

Even if you are authorized to make that call on the company's behalf, you HAVE to let them know before you even begin to think of adding third party code into the project without their knowledge. There could be a laundry list of issues associated with doing so, even if it's legal, and the code works to spec.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Express should be fine for commercial use last time I checked and it seems to play nice with unreal engine 4. If it's just for any other c++ related game development there's plenty of compilers and IDE's out there.

I think there's plenty of benefits in getting away from the idea of high-end graphical indie-game development, such as cutting down time required and avoiding the high cost of many tools.

Express is fine, it just has limitations.

Community edition is the full professional version, no limitations. It's free for "small teams" who earn below a certain amount.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaaaat's why I said
    Equanim wrote: »
    Obviously you're bound to some restriction usually, especially with code, but a huge aspect of the programming world is reusability.

Relax with the knee-jerk dichotomies guys, I never suggested throwing in third party libraries without consulting anyone.

Granted this is definitely more true of smaller teams like startups or independent clients (the subject of this thread), if you say, "We need to do task v, it will take w story points of effort, OR you can pay $x and reduce that story down to y story points, which will save you $z in wages and time." you can make a strong case to adopt a third party library or tool.

Re-usability is why object oriented programming is the most popular paradigm, asset stores have more than just art in them and most engineering jobs list various third party libraries or frameworks as requirements.