Home General Discussion

Imagine being a popular Game Creator/Designer

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
And seeing people rejoice like that when you announce a new title of your franchise..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieB51rHpQ4Q&feature=youtu.be&t=101

or even this:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Xnv6LQGRw[/ame]

How glorious do you f*cking feel seriously.

I don't care about the salary, If I ever get close to design one game and I see reactions like this, I promise one fap for every clap I hear.

But seriously, big surprises like that makes 30 year old man become kids again, it's only then you harness the true power of games.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I think by the time you become that popular and big, you become less aware of the praise and more focused on the amount of responsibility and weight that's been placed on your shoulder from the public. Though, I'd imagine the applause and praise validates it all for however so many days before people get down from the natural hype generation that is E3.

It's a fun hype train though :).

Has anyone here on PC had that sort of large responsibility placed on them like that yet?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Yup. Or, you could have multiple death threats and petitions put up to destroy your game that isnt even out yet. Works both ways.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Imagine reading reddit about how your an incompetent fool who shouldn't be allowed to sweep floors, let alone develop games.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I think the reason we lost a generation of rock star game developers was because of the hostility of the internet and these developers not being prepared.

If you want to be a rockstar developer. I think PR training is important and even better would be having a dedicated PR manager.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Aabel wrote: »
    Imagine reading reddit about how your an incompetent fool who shouldn't be allowed to sweep floors, let alone develop games.

I knew I'd made it as a game artist when someone on Reddit called something I'd made "Absolutely fucking retarded."

It was a great day. Heck, that was a great WEEK.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    My only contribution to games is knowing that i have helped waste years of productive human effort. (no joke i've done the maths, people have spent collectively enough time on mobile games i've worked on for a few lifetimes worth :P.)

Makes me feel good as i sleep at night ya know.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I knew I'd made it as a game artist when someone on Reddit called something I'd made "Absolutely fucking retarded."

It was a great day. Heck, that was a great WEEK.

I love reading comments on stuff I've created/worked on. Especially stuff I've done for LoL. I bask in internet rage.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    I'd rather be praised by a close group of talented friends.

When you look closer into a game conference crowd, you'll see it's made up of people that you would likely stay away from in real life.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You know, I would think John Romero would have a WEALTH of stories on this topic. I have to imagine he's had a lot of time to reflect on his Doom and Ion Storm. He definitely seems to be a different man today than from what I've read from "Masters of Doom."

I wonder if he's given interviews about that.