Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unreal 4 - Medieval well

lovingsaskia
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
lovingsaskia polycounter lvl 6
Working at better understanding the workflow for creating assets for Unreal 4. Picked a Medieval well as its fairly basic. Here is where I'm at now with a couple of small parts to add to the model. I'll probably build on it and include in a small scene, but for now the focus has just been the workflow as its been an age since I have done any modeling.

1msLYku.jpg

Replies

• Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    I'm noticing a lot of normal map seams on your bricks, care to post the texture?
  • lovingsaskia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lovingsaskia polycounter lvl 6
    Apologies for the late reply, had to get a new laptop due to my old deciding to pack in and took a few days to get everything up and running. At least this one has a half decent graphics card (840m)

Here are 3 versions of the unwrapped normal, on each one I still seem to have issues in the mortar. How would people go about unwrapping this for best use of uv space, I think I've got it with the new unwrap.

Original Unwrap:
    Lots of wasted UV space. Also seemed unusable for tiling textures and the likes of substance materials
    yprr2RH.jpg

2nd Unwrap:
    Less wasted space. Lots of normal seams as commented above, again useless for substance materials.

Y2EaPbg.jpg

3rd Unwrap:
    Less wasted space. Better for substance materials? Some distortion although not too noticeable.

x5fXwPZ.jpg

Also smoothing groups, I've separated the model into 2 groups as seen in the normal map. Should I separate it out more? Current smoothing groups are well wall and step.