Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sun WuKong

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
duncan polycounter lvl 11
Gonna try a Sun WuKong sculpt. No idea where it will take me but I am having fun.

> > > > LATEST UPDATE < < < <

nfr6I8.jpg

more soon.

Replies

• duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna try a Sun WuKong sculpt. No idea where it will take me but I am having fun.

XcPwSR.jpg

more soon.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    pls give him a nice dangly monkey dongle

kthx

(but srsly this is looking rally good! you should take it all the way to completion!)
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Oohh! a modern Sun WuKong? Are you putting your own version of the headband on him?

Looking good!
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :D.

@ Kaine123 : haha I was thinking about it XD...I hope I can finish it... I have noot been having too much luck with that lately.

@ TomGT : Thanks..Yeah I was going to go traditional but then decided to change it up.Not sure about the headband. Not really sure what happened with it once he completed his mission.... Guess I should try to find out. Once he helps the monk retrieve the sutras from India and gains his immortality he no longer wears it? either way I will have to think about it.

CHANGE MONKEYS!..... I like the new version ...buuuut.. I can't help but feel like he looks like an old guy.....thoughts?

MYVf1g.jpg

more soon.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Yeah it would have been lifted from him, so you could go for a post-journey direction. He also doesn't wear one while he was growing up, before eventually wrecking the heavens and getting sentenced to the headband.

The new hair gives it an Abraham Lincoln vibe to me haha. Similar to the one in the Planet of the Apes (2001). It does make him look older.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Is he wearing a suit?
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ TomGT : hahaha "Abraham Lincoln" I totally see that. hmm.... I am going to play with the hair style a bit try to come up with something a bit more contemporary that does not make him look so old. I don't mind him looking a little older but not grandpa old, and I have a feeling if I put hair on the more "chimp" version it will have the same effect. hmmm thinking to do

@ lotet : I was thinking more like a leather jacket. Though a suit could look pretty cool too.

1254f828ad410f613e4000d12b2a1891.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a few quick hair variations..I think I prefer A or C....B is pretty cool too.

....but I think C is winning for me.

HOxeta.jpg

more soon.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You've gotta do a version with the mutton chops.
    867224EBA4.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Steve Schulze : hahaha. I will have to give it a go :D.

found some time for this guy. Started playing with poses before I decide on outfits. Thinking someting like this. or a more casual one with the Bo slung over his shoulder.

F8BLlO.jpg

more soon.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Nice pose, looks much more like sun wukong with the staff and pose. whats your plans for the staff?
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    looking awesome, I love the pose. the ankle on the right looks really awkward though, maybe bring the knee up a bit, or stick his but out. even though he's leaning on his front arm, it looks like he's about to fall backward. maybe its just the angle of the picture though.
  • weisheng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weisheng polycounter lvl 9
    lookin good duncz ! keen to see moar :)
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

@ lotet : Thanks :D. No idea about the staff. I know it is supposed to weight a ton but I kind of want it to be quite simple too..... hmm.. needs to think.

@ Tectonic : Thanks you. I was talking to some mates at work and we decided to change his pose a bit. Hope he is looking more balanced.... I do intend to play with the legs and feet a bit more though.

@ weisheng : haha thanks.

a bit more pose play.

yapPvm.jpg

Thanks again guys.

more soon.
  • RitualSynergY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Man, I love where this is going. Great style!
  • AgreeingMachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgreeingMachine polycounter lvl 3
    I dig the personality you've given him, hope you find a head of hair that works for you! What's your process may I ask- just straight ahead on a mesh generated from the Z-Sphere maquette? Dynamesh?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    oh that is a cool pose, you arent going to make a lowpoly if hes in a cool pose like that are you?
  • Dvolution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
    Great facial expression man!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Well that went in a much more badass direction quite quickly. Love the new face. But i kind of miss the cigarette =p
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    OOO SNAP! looking good and that pose! great stuff
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Loving this Duncan. I really like the last pose too.
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    like the last pose.
    looking forward to see more
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.

@ AgreeingMachine : Thanks, hahah seems like my process is ... whatever works :D. I started with a individual ZSphere chains for the torso, Arms and hands, and the legs and feet. Merged the torso, arms and hands and Dynameshed ....but then used a default ZBrush mannequin to get a quick base pose. I then transposed the current geos to match the mannequin. Now I am playing with the pose until I am happy enough before I dynamesh everything together and start sculpting... So Messy is my current workflow...very messy.

@ Ged : thanks. nah. no real lowpoly, but I would like to go a little lower and texture.

@ lotet : haha. yeah I liked the cigarette too.

I have been playing with the pose a bit more. I think I am happy enough to dynamesh everything together and start sculpting again.

0YlBnm.jpg

Thanks again everyone.

more soon.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You've kind of drifted away from Sun Wukong to non-specific angry ape person with a stick. Which could be fine - what you've got is shaping up to be a really solid model, it just doesn't bare much in the way of resemblance to Handsome Monkey King, Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    this is awesome alredy ... looking forward for the next updates
  • doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doomprodigy polycounter lvl 5
    This is really sick. Must say I preferred the idea of the three point pose you had previously compared to your latest iteration.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Steve Schulze : Thanks. I agree that he has moved away from the usual depiction of the monkey king but I wanted to do something a little different and strip him back a bit..perhaps I have gone too far.

@ Spatz : haha thanks man :D

@ doomprodigy : Thanks. Yeah there was something a bit stronger about it. I hope this one is just as strong.

OK... I think this is the last big pose revision. I was chatting with a mate from work about poses and as usual he shed a heap of light on the situation and so I ended up here. It would be cool if he were to be holding something in his hand but I can't think of anything at the moment so there.

JaerNb.jpg

Thanks again everyone. more soon.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahah or this one...

gR0JMj.jpg
  • jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    The second one for sure. If you can't think of something to put in his hand, maybe try some kind of Bruce Lee hand gesture.
    Something like this - http://geeknation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Bruce_Lee_Pic_1.jpg
  • doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New pose is looking good. Second one for sure. It's a lil quirky. Maybe not too practical, loving it either way.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Saw this in the recap. Not done yet but I was like "hunnngh...."
    Me like.
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Nice pose, very dynamic. This last one does work for me. As Doomprodigy said, not sure how practical it is, but it sure looks great! There's something very cool seeing a piece like this, where some areas are much more than the others.
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looks really good! Hope you'll finish this one. :p
    I think the previous pose without the tail wrapped around the stick works better as an image. On the last one the stick goes "down" and follows the direction of the back and his left leg. On the previous on the stick goes up, wich creates a tension with the block that the character creates.
    Keep up !
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    I actually kind of prefer the first pose, the second one takes out a lot of the energy you had going, because the tail looks kind of goofy and limp.

Love it either way though, I'm only really just getting started with ZB and this huuuuugely inspirational. :D
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    First pose, it has more aggressive forward energy, the eye follows a nice looping path throughout the model. The second seems kind of contorted and throws the eye away from the model.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Dude, continue to move away! This is awesome! :D I like the pose without the tail wrapping. Tail wrapping is a cool idea, but I think it flows a lot better without. The way the eye travels it needs a direction (beginning and end) and I think the circle with the tail wrapped doesn't work as well. Love it though, the spit is an awesome touch!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks awesome! love the one where the tail is wrapped around the staff :) but as people mentioned, the other one is a lot easier on the eye.

If you turn the empty hand down instead of palm up, it kind of looks like mantis style, which could work with the kung-fu vibe n all.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha Thanks everyone.

@ lotet : thanks man. Yeah still trying to decide about that hand. I tried turning it down but thought it looked a little weird. hmmm may need more thought.

@ BradMyers82 : Thanks man. Glad to hear you like the direction. I am kind of happy with the tail as it stands but perhaps I am wrong. I will try to play with it a bit more. Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

@ FullSynch : Thanks :D. I see what you mean. As I play with the tail I might re position the staff.

@ Auldbenkenobi : Thanks. I hope you stick with it ZBrush is an awesome program. I look forward to seeing some of your stuff.

@ Abrvpt : hahaha me too. I kind of want to play with yeti and vray so I guess I have to go at least a little further :D

@ razz : Thanks,

@ Fomori : hahah thanks.

@ doomprodigy : Thanks.

@ jstyles3d : Thanks for the awesome suggestion.

Not too much time this week for play but here is a little update.
    Placeholder hair, I think I am going to try and do the hair in yeti and render in vray so this is kind of just for the idea. I have played with the tail to make it look a little more functional...but perhaps people are right and a bit of free air might help readability. I might also re position the staff as most people seem to think the current angle looks a little strange.

3YVmHE.jpg

Thanks again for all of the comments and feedback everyone.

more soon.
  • alifarsangi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alifarsangi polycounter lvl 9
    great work and progress so far, cant wait to see more !
  • polygonmonster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygonmonster polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking really good, keep it up the good work.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I still think mantis could work for the pose, you almost have it anyway
    tumblr_mmy87f3E5T1qkwnnro4_400.jpg
    here is a random googling a did for a low stance mantis.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :D

@ lotet : Yeah I checked out a heap of Kung Fu fighting styles. Mantis is a pretty good fit. If I decide agains magic I think I will push it that way. Thanks for the rad refs.

Some cloth funkery re positioned the staff and changed the tail. Need to re pose the staff hand to match the new position.

ALSO....I was thinking about adding some sort of magic?

25h1fh.jpg

thanks again guys.

more soon.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK SO. Weekly update. Busy at work so agin not much time for this guy but I have started sculpting the t-shirt and pants. added a flappy sash, re-positioned the tail and Zremeshed the arms feet and head and neck. I might do the same thing witht the cloth, then UV before I sculpt in too much details. Progress is slow at the moment but I am still pretty keen to see him with hair so I am happy to keep on keeping on.

VcWEUn.jpg

more soon.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Geez, this is turning out real badass! Seeing you try different hairstyles I think just bald would be perfect. Nonetheless, looks very aggro with the red magic on him!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Really dig the pose man...sooo goood!!!
  • doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking boss! Tweaked camera angle is pretty sweet.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :D.

@ TomGT : Thanks, I quite like bald as well but the hair plays a huge roll with this guy so I think he needs something.

@ slosh : hahah thanks :D

@ doomprodigy : Thanks, yeah I am a big fan of the old "Dutch tilt"

Thought I might show some of the other angles.

Y2zhEZ.jpg

Thanks again guys.

more soon.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    love the dutch angle in that second to last image, turning out pretty dope. I hope (if your going for it) the magic wont be to distracting.
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    the hair is cool ... adds a lot ... lookin great !!!

i loved the longer tail somehow ...

keep rockin :)
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    He could totally light his cigarette with a fireball... just saying ^^. Or a cigar.