Home Technical Talk

Zbrush 4r7 + SSD - Consuming memory

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
sheckee polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys, I'm not sure what the problem is here but I'll explain it as best I can. Maybe someone will have an answer because I am perplexed.

I'm using zbrush 4r7 64 and recently have had an issue wherein it complains all of the time that my drive is full (My C drive is a 128gb SSD). I continually am freeing space on that drive, and yet 5 minutes later that space is gone. I deleted all of the MEM files and Quicksave files from zbrushes folder and that cleaned out 30gb of data. 30 Minutes later, and the drive is full again. Why is this? I've never run into such a problem.

Whilst on the subject of problems, since using 64bit zbrush, it hogs every last bit of my ram, frequently using 16gb and then complaining it's out of memory. Should I limit the amount of ram my zbrush uses?

Replies

• sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    2uivhxz.jpg
    I deleted everything in this folder about 30 minutes ago. Back up to over 40gb. I know I can change the location of my scratch discs, i'll give that a try, but if It just adds files at this rate, my second drive will be full in no time.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Had the same issue.

Edited the scratch disk to my secondary HDD and it's fine. It's only temp files for the working session, it gets deleted when you quit ZB.

And the mem issue, try compacting the mem (in preferences), if you still see ZB is eating everything then lower the compact mem slider - will basically tell ZB to compact more often into mem files.

I think I had to make a junction for the quick save file location, and GoZ files.. Sorry I can't really remember how I've done it. Google is your friend :]
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yes, moving the zbrush temp folders onto a disk with more free space and replacing the original directories o nthe SSD with symbolic links/junctions that point there will do the trick.
    lookup junction.exe (a download from the MS site) or mklink.exe (part of windows i believe). you'll need to use the command line to do this.
    e.g.: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753194.aspx

perhaps the 64 bit version of zbrush isn't quite so well bahaved yet or are you just working on humongous files with it?