Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] The Old Boy's Club Room

whw
whw
Hi everybody,

I've been working on this for a while and need another set of eyes and some harsh critiques to help with the final push. I'm really struggling with the lighting on this which may explain the lack of focal point - I'm primarily concerned the image being too dark. I had pushed the blacks more so the piano stands out a little but that just blackened everything opposite the fireplace.

I'm considering either a tall clock or a coat stand to fill the gap at the back wall.

Any feedback with regards to material definition (should there be nicks and scratches everywhere?), lighting and color balance (too much brown?) appreciated.

8xDg4ed.jpg

3hqBUS7.jpg

9K5ps8Q.jpg

AjvcGNS.jpg

05ULbwz.jpg

Replies

• FULGORE
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    I like the asset quality :) but apart from the paintings having a crackled surface (nice) some of the textures seem to lack micro detail. Or the lighting isn't bringing it out.
    I'd suggest making the lighting a bit more "unbalanced" e.g. have the fireplace and the window provide primary light, and the other areas a bit darker perhaps? Plus godrays and visible dust particles in the window's light.

Scratches etc on some things would be nice - e.g. on the floor around where the chairs have been pulled out many times.
    Plus the bookshelves mesh seems to have hard edges, or the edges on the high poly/chamfer was too tight? Maybe put some extra detail into it, like this has? a_mid-victorian_oak_bookcase_thrid_quarter_19th_century_d5352180h.jpg
  • Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    The images are way too black. You need to work on the lighting so that the room is more illuminated.
  • Rawbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    holy moly that couch is hot as f*ck!
    But yea i agree with xendance, some spots are too dark
  • whw
    FULGORE: Yes, the lighting isn't helping. There's a spotlight at the top of the room that's providing most of the ambient and is probably flattening everything. I'll give your suggestion a go seeing as it could create an interesting effect, though I am concerned the fireplace would get lost unless there is sufficient bounced light. As for the shelving, yes, I agree I think the trims in general need some additional detail. I'll look into it.

Xendance: You're right there. I was concerned that it was too dark since I'm getting an awful lot of glare from the monitor and have found myself working with the curtains drawn and in semi-darkness. I'll up the ambient as discussed above.

Rawbert: Haha. And yes, I'll look into the lighting more. I just wish UE4 didn't take so long to bake lightmaps and I can iterate changes quicker.
  • whw
    I decided to gut the room and rethink the composition. The windows were really not working for me as they looked odd either side of the fireplace and the opposite wall was really boring. I had issues trying to get some decent lighting in there, even looking at Koola's ace "Lightroon Interior" but I just couldn't get the realistic lighting to work with the brown tones I had. Soo...

New layout. Ditched the windows and curtains and compacted everything into a smaller more cosy space. Flooded blue light in there for the unbalanced look Fulgore mentioned (thanks for that one!) and threw a tonne of spotlights radiating from the chandelier into each corner of the room. At least I have a solid base to work on and can control it more. I really wish I did this earlier since I started with the Realistic Rendering world and was kinda hellbent on making it fit to my environment - Lesson learned!

Anyway, images... and feedback most welcome.

4sVclmP.jpg

xXlxS6H.jpg
  • willehrendreich
    super delicious. well done.
  • Hausestate
    You should make this a asset pack to Unreal Marketplace. I and atleast 100 other would huy this. I don't understand the fact that Polycount is full of superior artists but they don't want to make money by using their skills. Example this pack could cost like $50 and you could easily sell 100 to 1000 packs. Do the math!

But this scene you've made is fantastic.