Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

mock portfolio review

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
https://www.artstation.com/artist/rjbonner

I've enjoyed the journey over the years developing along side many talented artists on polycount, taking in feed back sharing and networking and I believe I now have a large enough body of work to get some portfolio feedback.

I don't think I'm ready yet but just for vulnerabilitys sake what does the polycount community think of my portfolio so far? I'm going for a hard surface/ enviroment art focused job.

Where do I need to focus more on? What sucks and needs to be removed? What do I need to have more of? Thank you and any feedback is appreciated!

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I've mentioned this already but you need to be more upfront with what is your design and what is based off of a concept. Put a link to the concept art somewhere in the description instead of just a little text on the image.

That will probably come up in a few interviews.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I like your Darksiders inspired environment. I do think it probably needs more color or something. The majority of it being white/greyish makes it look unfinished.

You will also need breakdown shots of your work, wireframe, texture flats, etc.
  • CrackRockSteady
    If your goal is to find a job as hard surface/environment artist, straight up - focus on that. Show me more assets and environments at the quality of your first image.

The first thing I see when I visit the site is a full-page, fucking sexy render of some sort of sci-fi fighter. I'm impressed, and I want to see more. However, to be frank, everything after that is a bit of a letdown. I don't mean any offense, as none of your work is actually bad, it's just that your splash page piece is head and shoulders above everything else. I'd definitely show more renders at different angles, include texture pages and wireframe renders. It looks great, show it off.

The environment pieces aren't bad, and I like the approach of doing smaller, focused environments, but there's nothing particularly impressive about them. I'd work on finishing some more small environment pieces and really just focus on doing one asset at a time for it and doing it really well.

Your 2d work isn't bad, but it also isn't great and it'll ultimately detract from the 3d work you'll want employers to focus on. I'd remove it for now. Once you've built up the 3d side of the portfolio you can consider spending some time to develop some 2d pieces to complement it.

Overall I'd say just keep working at it. You've clearly got skills, they just need to be developed more. I'd also make sure that, as you finish assets, include texture and model breakdowns. This will help demonstrate that you really understand the process and correct techniques for the art creation pipeline (UV layout, texture baking, mesh optimization, etc).
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley, this thread doesn't belond in General Discussion, it belongs over in 3D Art Showcase & Critiques, so I've moved it there.

Keep going man, you're getting closer!