Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Substance Designer Tests

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
lkruel polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone, decided to post some of my substance work online, getting inspired by some amazing stuff recently.

Here's some sand I've been playing with.

substance_sandtest.jpeg
substance_sandtest_sphere.jpeg

Replies

• K
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good!

If you pipe the white noise through a levels node, and make it so that its mostly white(ish) and that there are some blackish, and dark grey pixels, it will get that nice shimmer you see when sunlight hits the sand.

Cheers!
  • lkruel
    Offline / Send Message
    lkruel polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for stopping by!

Yeah, I had something like that for my roughness, but the screens didn't convey it. Here's a closeup looking straight at the lightsource.

substance_sandtest_glint.jpeg

Blingtastic

Also, here's the material in UE4 on a procedurally generated sand mesh (with control curves for player path) done in Houdini

substance_sandtest_ue4.jpeg

I'll be adding procedurally generated cliffs on the larger sand dune faces next. And hopefully a nice substance to go on them. Thanks for the help!
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Bacana :) Though I think that sand dunes would have more wave-like patterns rather than cells, since they're formed by winds. What you have right now looks like it's been stepped on a lot, which would work as a path between dunes I think!
  • lkruel
    Offline / Send Message
    lkruel polycounter lvl 4
    Valeu!

Yeah, I actually started on that already. I have a smooth sand in addition to the one I have there that I'm blending with vertex colors. I'll post an update tonight.

Good feedback
  • lkruel
    Offline / Send Message
    lkruel polycounter lvl 4
    As promised.

I added the second sand material and blend then with vertex paint. Also added in the generated cliff mesh with a normal and ao bake. Will start playing with the cliff material next.

I'll probably try something fancier with the dune geometry as well... Trying to figure out a good way to warp noise in Houdini if anyone reading this has any ideas I'm all ears =)

substance_sandtest_ue4_cliffao.jpeg
    substance_sandtest_ue4_cliffao_2.jpeg
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Looking good! I think the sand on the dunes is coukd use some subtle waves like this:
    latest?cb=20111103010157
    very subtle so it doesn't get too noisy perhaps?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    might be cool to see if you could do something like... have a parameter for wind direction (this would need to be in radians), and then compare it with the normal angle of the surface. if the wind is hitting an upward facing surface, give it those wave patterns and give the opposite surface a flat look.
  • K
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    I like how this is evolving :D, keep it coming :)
  • lkruel
    Offline / Send Message
    lkruel polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks!

Been out of town for a little bit. So no updates

Bruno, Yeah, I might see if I can do some shader LOD stuff to blend the noise in and out. Although the FX is helping that shot a lot. Those will come in later. Also might make the color a bit more red/saturated.

gir, great idea. Right now I have it so I can paint with the footstep noisy sand, but it might be cool to get a windy wavy sand and blend it against the plain sand based on the normal. good idea!

Thanks Kay! I'm going to work on the rocks next, and I'll keep you guys updated
  • lkruel
    Offline / Send Message
    lkruel polycounter lvl 4
    Haven't done much work on that project as I'd like to, but I got in a photogrammetry binge lately. Here's a painted metal material that I scanned and then made tileable in Designer.

I have a marmoset viewer thingy up on artstation

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/painted-metal-material

luiz-kruel-screenshot005.jpg?1438560396
    luiz-kruel-screenshot003.jpg?1438560390
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Although I understand the want for having more reflectivity then in the real world I think desert sand should be less glossy