Home Technical Talk

MODO Ui question

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
I am delving into MODO and loving it so far but I do have a problem:

the MODO default "selecting back faces" selection is set to middle mouse button. However, I have my UI navigation set to 3DSMax in which MMB is Panning.

Where and how can I find what new key is mapped to ""selecting back faces" ?

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    If you want to change anything for "back face selection" --> "Pick through" in Modo, you must go in "system > input editor" and change those settings to your liking

middle_mouse_button.jpg
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's also a global setting in the preferences to always select through. System > Preferences > Input > Selection.

I'd recommend you switch it back to MODO nagivation though, it winds up being a lot nicer with shift/ctrl/alt being the navigation style toggles. Especially if you wind up doing any sculpting, painting or general graphics tablet usage.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After some thought I decided to adapt to Modo's default navigation style (with exeption of the 3d trackball rotation). It does feel unintuitive at the moment and it will give some transition hickups with 3DSMax, which I still use, but I feel it will be worth it in the future.

Thanks guys :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've found it's never worth it to mess with an apps navigation controls. It always seems to bugger something up. :)
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I've found it's never worth it to mess with an apps navigation controls. It always seems to bugger something up. :)

^ This.

I use Modo's default and jump back and forth between a lot of programs that use Maya's navigation with ease, you will be fine. As someone said above, the default style fits really well when using a wacom tablet.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use tablet for almost every thing and just love how I can use left click for every thing.

Maya having to use right and middle click for navigation feels much more mouse-centric.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After some thought I decided to adapt to Modo's default navigation style (with exeption of the 3d trackball rotation). It does feel unintuitive at the moment and it will give some transition hickups with 3DSMax, which I still use, but I feel it will be worth it in the future.

This is a wise choice MisterSande, when i first started Modo it took me time to get the navigation down but over the course of a few evenings i finally got it.

I always try and force myself to jump in face first and let the app flow through me.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    use modo's default navigation? I switched it to Maya's almost right away. I might have to give it a go though if it works well with a tablet.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The default is always there for a reason. It's the most compatible with that apps other functions. So ... IMO, always try to learn the default set up. It's easier in the long run.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The default is always there for a reason. It's the most compatible with that apps other functions. So ... IMO, always try to learn the default set up. It's easier in the long run.

Yeah, I might have to try it for a few days then. It was nice how simple it was to get its navigation to mimic maya's though.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming from 3DS Max, it took me 3 weeks to get used to Modo and get rid of the bad habits (3ds max hotkeys).

Currently the most issues I have with Modo is that I cannot find alternatives for certain max modeling tools. Did you find tools for:
    - connect options (edge),
    - edge extrusion (how I miss shift dragging edges)
    - border selection, double clicking edges is 1 click too many
    - swift loop, I know there is alt+c but it just isn't as fast to use.

+ Also, allot of tools like bevel use a '' count'' system where you determine the amount of connections/ bevels /roundness etc. I intuitively searched for 2 hotkeys to increase and decrease this amount but could not find any. Are they there or can I make them ?

+ Is there a hotkey or menupopup that allows me to select primitives ? Having to manually go to the top left to click is not helping my workflow.

My biggest complaint with Modo ATM is that I need to use the mouse allot over hotkeys. With the help of all you guys I'm sure I will end up with a decent config.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    - connect options (edge),
    - edge extrusion (how I miss shift dragging edges)
    - border selection, double clicking edges is 1 click too many
    - swift loop, I know there is alt+c but it just isn't as fast to use.
    By connect do you mean bridge? (Shift+E, though that might be my custom rather than a default)
    Edge Extend = Z (or edge extrude, shift+x)
    Boundary: Go Select > Boundary... and bind that to something (Input Editor, it's fantastic)
    Swift loop, under edge tab > Add Loop. Bind that to a key.

For increasing numeric things like bevel count, arrow keys. No idea what you mean by 'select primitives'.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you mean connect as in making an edge between two verts on a polygon, select the verts and hit Ctrl+L.

Shift+T will triangulate selected polygons and selecting an edge and hitting V will spin the edge.

For border select, hold Shift and either click the plugin button or hit the number 3. If you have polygons selected, it'll select the border edges of the polygon selection. Might be Alt... it's just muscle memory now :)

Bridge I bound to Ctrl+B... no idea what the default is :/
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    + Is there a hotkey or menupopup that allows me to select primitives ? Having to manually go to the top left to click is not helping my workflow.

You can right click and there is a primitive menu available from there. I think it only creates the primitives at the origin though.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super useful comments guys :)

With "" connect "" I was referring to adding edge loops between 2 edges by selecting the 2 edges and typing in how much connections/ edges you want.

I would try out all your suggestions and give feedback if it wasn't for me just hurting my lower back when biking /cry.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    alt-c loop slice tool is the thing you're looking for.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks again for the help all. I have some more questions I would love to get some aid with:

1, the extend edges tool "Z" does not seem to snap to the axis constraints. Can I enable this ?

2. How do I "fill" an open border ? , I want to be able to fill a border of an N-Gon so I can manually connect the verts when the border is filled.

3. Is there a hotkey to zero out an object to 0.0.0. coordinates ?

4. Can I select polygons by Angle like in 3DSMax ?

5. Are there hotkeys for Hide selected/Unhide selected ?

I really appreciate all the help here, thanks again :)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2. The default is P. You can either select the edges (or multiple sets of edges, it'll create a poly for each) or if you select some vertices in order and it'll create a polygon on those verts.

3. Not sure what you mean... move the vertices/polygons to 0,0,0 (there isn't a hotkey but in the basic tab on the right, Center Selected > All) or the item itself (you'd have to manually enter zeroes into the transform)? Or zero out the transform on the item (like reset xForm in Max) - for that it's in the Transform properties on the right Zero > All?

4. Yes, but not easily. I intend to write something up for that, will keep you posted :)

5. H is hide selected, Shift+H is hide unselected. U is unhide. Ctrl+H is toggle visibility. Same deal with J and I for "lock".
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm so far gone at this point with MODO, I can rarely advise anyone what the default hot key is for stuff anymore. :P I'm like, "Well, for ME it's ctrl+g but ... uh ..."
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    thanks again for the help all. I have some more questions I would love to get some aid with:

1, the extend edges tool "Z" does not seem to snap to the axis constraints. Can I enable this ?

2. How do I "fill" an open border ? , I want to be able to fill a border of an N-Gon so I can manually connect the verts when the border is filled.

3. Is there a hotkey to zero out an object to 0.0.0. coordinates ?

4. Can I select polygons by Angle like in 3DSMax ?

5. Are there hotkeys for Hide selected/Unhide selected ?

I really appreciate all the help here, thanks again :)

I will try to help some.

1-Not sure what you meant by this...You mean having snapping functionality on while the Edge Extend tool is active?

2-"P" for create polygon. In 901, you can go use Fill Quads too. The Bridge tool also fills gaps very well, as long as you make your selection in a way that Modo can interpolate the rest of the gap(Example: In a square border with 8 edges, select only two sides of the border and use bridge.)

3-Basic tab, below the primitives, on the "Center Selected" drop-down. I mapped "All" to a hotkey. Unless you're talking about zero the coordinates on the item level....

4-Interested in this as well.

5-"H" for Hide and "U" for Unhide. "Shift+H" to Hide unselected. However, this doesnt hide stuff visible in other Item layers, but I have a script for that, which is this one: view3d.inactiveInvisible state:?+
    Bind it to a key(I use Alt+Q, same as Isolation Mode in Max, I believe).
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1-Not sure what you meant by this...You mean having snapping functionality on while the Edge Extend tool is active?

If you grab an edge loop and move it you will be bound by axis constraints in whatever direction you are moving it (X,Y,Z.).

As soon as I press "Z'" for edge extrusion and try to move it the transform will be skewed, it makes it very hard to just extrude an edge vertically (or whatever X,Y,Z, direction you are going in ).
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you grab an edge loop and move it you will be bound by axis constraints in whatever direction you are moving it (X,Y,Z.).

As soon as I press "Z'" for edge extrusion and try to move it the transform will be skewed, it makes it very hard to just extrude an edge vertically (or whatever X,Y,Z, direction you are going in ).

As an old 3dsMax user you can have the same very thing in Modo. If you would like to constraint to an axis (x,y,z) here's a little little trick not well known to Modo users.

Under the move tool, grab your edge loop and press the [0] digit (( this is located on a standard keyboard next to the digit 9, above the letter P, to the left of - (minus))

Once [0] is pressed you will notice that your gizmo disappeared but your still selecting - holding your edge loop *** (you need to hold the control button)***. ***(while holding control key)*** --> Try to move it in an imaginary z, y, or x axis. It's really a fine fine movement and it will lock on one of the axis where the motion of the mouse first moved.

It takes a little practice but will slowly sink in, press [0] to have your gizmo back.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ peanut, this did not work for me initially but I did found out what my problem was.

It turns out that in order to "constrain your gizmo to an axis" you have "click and hold" the desired axis before you use, for example, the edge extension tool "Z".

However..it will work on this situation: "scaling" , shift extruding, an edge of an open cylinder (no cap on top).

cyl1.jpg?dl=0

2 more questions:

1. How do I scale vertices to the same plane ? 3DSMax has a "Make planar" function. Also in max the scale tool cannot go further than beyond the point where all vertices are scaled to the same plane.

2. Can I make circular cut projections on a plane/box ? A tool like the "Arc/arch" in google Sketchup would be super useful!

( I used to use a cylinder as reference and use the cuttool but there should be a faster way )

Btw guys, I am writing up a document which contains all my questions and much more tips for new MODO users. Let me know if there is any interest in this.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. You can scale to 0 in your desired axis. You can untick the "Negative Scale" option in the tool to clamp the minimum scale values to 0%.

2. Not certain there. You could probably use the regular cut tool to put in a bunch of verts, then use the Radial Align tool to make them circular. There's also the various "Drill" tools, which should cut a projection of selected geometry down onto a surface... but I've not used those much.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. There's an Align option you can use. Check this doc, it's 601 but should be applicable.
    http://modo.docs.thefoundry.co.uk/modo/601/help/pages/modotoolbox/Tools/VertexTools.html
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys, the scaling issue is under control now.

@ peanut, this did not work for me initially but I did found out what my problem was.

It turns out that in order to "constrain your gizmo to an axis" you have "click and hold" the desired axis before you use, for example, the edge extension tool "Z".

However..it will work on this situation: "scaling" , shift extruding, an edge of an open cylinder (no cap on top).
    Scratch that :/ Both of our methods do seem to work when you are just moving edges but do not work when you are using the edge extension tool "Z".

There has to be a wayto contstraint to an axis while extrusion since the tool would be pretty useless without ... Even when you go to an orthographic view it will not work.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There has to be a wayto contstraint to an axis while extrusion since the tool would be pretty useless without
    Well, it's clearly not useless as many people produce art with MODO. I think what you mean to say is that it's different. :)
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Warren, I was talking about the Z tool and , ofcourse, not about MODO itself <3
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Never really had issues with the edge extend tool.

In the pic below I am locked to all axes (x,y,z) so no matter where the camera is I can just extend away:

NwYWAwL.png

Not sure if this is what your after
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    2. Can I make circular cut projections on a plane/box ? A tool like the "Arc/arch" in google Sketchup would be super useful!

( I used to use a cylinder as reference and use the cuttool but there should be a faster way )

Btw guys, I am writing up a document which contains all my questions and much more tips for new MODO users. Let me know if there is any interest in this.

For the cylindrical cut, just position a cylinder and use a boolean or solid/axis drill.

For the modo document, go for it. I've got something similar (see signature) but it's a bit out of date and mostly regarding essential scripts rather than modo functionality. If you'd like I could add you to the editing list, I'd just need your email. Maybe a "FAQ" sections would be handy.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up on the extend tool, repete. I've never looked at the options and didn't realize it had a "scale" option under the "Plane" section. That turns a 2 step "extend-then-scale" operation into 1 step. Awesome!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

OOhh! i forgot to mention to press and hold "control" and then move along desired imaginary axis.

press [0], and hold ctrl + move to snap in the axis. It's so natural to use this method that i don't even think when i use the control button. (i will edit my post sorry)
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Peanut, will check out your suggestion asap :)

meanwhile I have yet another question:

I tried using MODO's alternative to 3dsmax splines: curves and patches. Now, I made this shape with curves and had to manually convert all the parts in patches. This took a long time and it made me wonder if this cannot be done automatically (?) like in 3dsmax.

patch.jpg?dl=0
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In other words: how would I create curved shapes like these in MODO ?

nv2n1EU.jpg?dl=0

And yet again a new question ... : how can I move this edge loop towards the top of the edge ?
    constraint_to_edge_how.jpg?dl=0
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Edge > Slide tool or just place a new loop.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Modo's curve tools are bad, like really bad. If you want to create such shapes, you should draw them with curves, then bridge curves. You can specify any number of polys in bridge as you want.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And for those specific shapes, I don't think you need curves or splines. Just subd it. Keep the geo low and you should be able to get nice sweeping curves.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Just subd it. Keep the geo low and you should be able to get nice sweeping curves.

+1

this is the simplest way in modo
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just subd it. Keep the geo low and you should be able to get nice sweeping curves.

Patch work in Modo in unthinkably slow, for a longtime i thought i was the only one mentally challenged when working with curves in Modo. Thanks for clearing out that it ain't Modo's fort
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Probably moved away from this already but I highly recommend people adapt to the Maya navigation, it works great with Modo and the added perk is that the control scheme is pretty much common with other apps that work alongside the Modo pipeline. This means, Unreal/Unity, 3D Coat..ect the basic navigation remains a wonderful constant between them all.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *sigh* You're probably right. The trouble is the stubborn part of my brain LOVES the MODO navigation scheme and wants everyone else to conform to it. :)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much like Warren. So much easier with a tablet, too.