Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wooden axe

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
This project is supposed to be a worn axe that has been used to chop wood. This is my first attempt at physically based texturing, so I am basically trying things until it looks decent. I obviously have a long way to go with this, I haven't working on the roughness of the wood yet, so it is not detailed or correct.

So far it looks decent in my opinion, but its definitely not to the standard I want.

LATEST:

GBaIM4O.png

[SKETCHFAB]64eacfbefdd2404083974b8751216b72[/SKETCHFAB]

Also btw I haven't abandoned my drill project. I had a couple hours free so I decided to get a small project started so I have something to put in my portfolio.

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be a far better portfolio piece if it told a story. Or had some visual history. Or something to make it more than an axe that just rolled off the assembly line.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to add wear and scratches to the front and the main body of the blade so that it looked like it had been used. I definitely need to add a lot more wear to the handle, but I haven't really focused on that yet. I was thinking about adding an engraved name or something to the handle, so that it looked like someone marked their name on it.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    The material for the axe head is too chrome like. It needs to be rougher.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turns out I am an idiot and didn't realize that my roughness map was inverted. It now looks slightly more correct :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My suggestion would be to take a turn through here and save any images that you think look cool or have good character or story to them. There are a million ways to make a hand axe cool:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hand+axe&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=892&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yANuVe_POe6RsQTJ7IPoDA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I improved the roughness on the metal a bit, it looks more worn now. I might add some small bits of rust around the areas where it meets the handles, just to add some colour variation.

3D2X6hP.png

btw, do you have any idea why the normals seem to be adding a darkened outline?

I definately need to work on the wood a lot more now, it looks very boring.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    It is very boring, like warren said add a story to it
    STRIKE-ANYHERE_960a_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1416840205
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get that it needs a story, but I don't really get how I would go about doing that.

My intended point of reference was just that this is an axe someone has owned, probably kept in their garage and used to chop up wood. Im not sure how to really portray that in a texture. The damage shows it has been used.

I found this image:

L_940.jpg

Maybe I could add some small splats of plaint onto it, like someone spilled paint whilst working in their garage

L_936.jpg
  • YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    It is very boring, like warren said add a story to it
    STRIKE-ANYHERE_960a_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1416840205

You add story by thinking about what has happened to the prop, it's an ax so the first questions that come to my mind;

Has it been sharpened recently?
    Has it been used recently?
    How old is the wood? Is the wood beginning to rot?
    Has the blade ever been chipped when it was miss swung and hit a rock?

When you're creating a portfolio or hero prop you'll want to think about these things and apply them accordingly. If it's a background prop call it done and start working on the scene it's going to be put into.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update, I decided to add some paint splats, I also added more grunge to the handle

GBaIM4O.png

Sorry if I am being a pain in the ass asking lots of questions, I am not very good at texturing yet and its my first time using PBR techniques, so I am kind of learning as I go :)

I need to get a normal map on the metal to add some detail, and for the paint so it pops
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you're creating a portfolio or hero prop you'll want to think about these things and apply them accordingly. If it's a background prop call it done and start working on the scene it's going to be put into.
    Yes, this is key. If the only thing I'm going to be looking at is an axe, it needs to be a hero piece axe. If it's just part of a larger scene, you don't have to go as far.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is for my portfolio (for applications to university courses) so it will definately be classed as a 'hero' prop

What do you think of my last update so far?
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    Yo dox. Awesome stuff as always. Are you planning in
    making a tool shed or something ?
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Nope, I am just making single props for use in my portfolio. Trying to finally get something finished. I saw a few people who were finishing high school asking for portfolio critiques and it made my realize that I need to spend more time finishing stuff

It might seem like I am making a tool shed, as all I seem to be making recently is tools :D
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle wrote: »
    This is for my portfolio (for applications to university courses) so it will definately be classed as a 'hero' prop

What do you think of my last update so far?

Honestly, it feels like you slapped some paint on it. It doesn't make me think about anything other than, "That paint looks weird".

Try to think up a back story for this axe. Why are you building it? Because you wanted an axe? It would be better if it was, say, evidence that was used in a crime. Maybe there's something mystical about it. Maybe it was wielded by some fantastical creature as a means to an end, and ended up with some weird claw/scratch marks on the handle.

That sort of thing. Get imaginative. Make me care...
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe the paint on the blade was a bit much?

I made the axe because I just felt like making one, I don't know why. I just wanted to create some that was realistic with PBR textures.

I could do it as a piece of evidence in a crime, but I am not sure how I would stop it from being very generic. Blood splats on the blade would mean it would have an easily understood story that leaves room for the viewer to imagine what happened, but wouldn't that feel a bit generic?
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated the design, I added lots of blood to the blade, like it has been used in a violent crime.

6OCWReV.png

AwwFUcK.png
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    My best advice of how to come up with the origins of this axe's story comes down to the user of the axe...

Your first questions should be...

Where is this owner from? for example...

This axe belonged to a great warrior of an native indian tribe... the world was a fantasy world not this universe but a little different so native indians in that universe used a lot of metal to forge their weapons and they never lost their land to the american explorers who stumbled onto their land in our universe... this native indian champion wielded axes because he believed that the bigger the axe the better the man... he would often peel out the teeth of his enemies as trophies and would weld them with metal onto the bottom of his axe so whenever he did not have time to swing he could switch to a quick handle jab which would feel like their enemy just got a giant bite out of their face by the wrath of his enemies deaths...

you know, that kind of thing...

from me just fire balling random ideas in one go... you already have a lot of popular culture behind the development of this axe with the snap of a finger.

Hope that helps (Y) keep going, you clearly know how to model now it's just about the concept of what you're modelling :)
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi,

I agree with Kid.in.the.Dark, it's all about the concept. It's a very difficult thing to do, coming up with a good concept / design. So you should start with an existing concept, or work from a photograph. It helps a lot. Then you can focus only on the execution.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I based my initial design for the axe on this photograph:

vwj7d0O.jpg

I didn't copy it exactly. but just used it as a reference.

I tried adding some kind of story to the axe by adding pools of blood on the handle, which look pretty good in my opinion. What do you think?
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, it sounds like you're asking for feedback on how closely you stuck to your reference? If that's the case then I'd say that the handle looks like a different kind of wood based on the pattern of the grain. And the blade looks like a different material based on how dark the metal is in the reference. Excluded are the logo cast into the blade that allows you to have fun with storytelling and the loop in the handle that allows versatility, or an easy place to attach storytelling pieces, like Kid.In.Dark suggested.

If you're looking for feedback on your storytelling pieces, I'm not real keen on the blood. Maybe it's because I just can't ever picture blood pooling on the sides like that. Maybe it's because when artists' think "story telling" they always go to blood/ violence. Usually it works, but it will never get you points for creativity.

I think part of the problem is that the reference you chose looks like a prop piece; the kind of piece that you should say you're finished with and move on to the rest of the scene, like many have suggested. But if you want feedback on storytelling:

-Was the wood rotting/ splitering and the axe needed repair with duct tape?
    -Was the blade machine cast after the industrial revolution (smooth) or hand forged with a mallet (faceted)?
    -Did the owner apply any personal charms to the loop hole, like Native American feathers or trophy teeth/ hair/ ears/ etc (see Kid's story).
    -Are you dead set on the wooden/ metal axe? Call of duty loves featuring tactical axes, or you could do some sort of fantasy axe with chunky rock? Really go crazy with cool emissives under the rock panels. Then there are ceremonial axes or beast-mode axes. Norse axes has awesome etching on their blades and dwarven axes have add color and a bit of different shape language.

All this to say, the axe you chose just isn't designed to be a showcased hero piece. Alan Wake featured an axe like that but people mostly talk about Alan Wake for it's story/ atmosphere/ lighting or mood, not it's extremely average Midwestern weapons. Dying Light did a good job with axes like this by allowing the player to combine the axe with electricity, nails, toxic goo and other elements; check out some screen shots or try to pick it up. But as it stands now, it just isn't a hero piece.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was using the reference as a starting point, I didn't intend to follow it completely. I basically just wanted it to get the proportions down, and the general shapes.

The thing I am finding difficult is the idea of adding a story to it, when I look at a piece of work for example:

resample(lanczos).jpeg

I don't see a story, I just see a gun that has been used before.

I was looking on sketchfab and I found these hammer models that I thought were good inspiration

[SKETCHFAB]b9d32f87c73f48659ccd9bf75f7dc66c[/SKETCHFAB]

I think the best thing would probably be to finish this off to a good standard and then work on something that is more interesting and has some theme/story to it. I guess this did serve as good practice for the basics of PBR workflow.

Its my first time actually getting something properly textured, so I am going to make a lot of mistakes before getting something just right. Practice makes perfect :)
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    I feel like the design is just to new looking to have all that blood. Take it into zbrush and beat it up a bit, chips on the blade, emphasize some areas with stronger wood grain and chipping on the handle. Basically try and be linear with your texture work, if there's blood on it, the viewer wants to assume that the axe has been through a lot, so make it look like its seen it's time! :D
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D wrote: »
    I feel like the design is just to new looking to have all that blood. Take it into zbrush and beat it up a bit, chips on the blade, emphasize some areas with stronger wood grain and chipping on the handle. Basically try and be linear with your texture work, if there's blood on it, the viewer wants to assume that the axe has been through a lot, so make it look like its seen it's time! :D

Good idea, will give me some practice sculpting aswell. I am going to add some duct tape wraps to it, or maybe some blood soaked fabric. Duct tape might be better, otherwise I would have to add in some extra geometry for the fabric and would therefore basically have to start over unwrapping and texturing.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    When we say add a back story it's just a technique to knock out ideas very quickly and bring realism and relativity to the asset. It's true some things don't have an obvious back story to it and probably no-one would guess your back story but it's not for them, it's for you.

Even if you gave your character who's holding the axe a name, you could have a sticker label stuck on the side called "Huey" or something... and that already brings more character to the prop... when you just replicate something without adding a little to it the prop already lacks interest. Unless the prop is something that's already interesting by nature like for example the gun reference you just posted, or a tank, things with guns already by default look cool... if you want to improve your skills as an artist knowing how to build a quick concept without having to draw it out is a very valuable skill to have in this industry.

Just follow the example I gave you before, if you're in charge of your own concept the more random with the back story the better, with uniqueness comes diversity.

If you're working in the industry and someone gives you an axe asset to build and he says build it to this picture exactly then fair enough, don't give it a back story and just follow what your higher ups or directors have told you to do... but sometimes you're given a prop and the whole entire game's story has already been laid out for you... like "This is about a man who's a serial killer and has a thing for cutting out people's brains with his axe and hands" then in the subtleties you could add a little bit of hair strands stuck to the dried up blood, chunks of brain tissue on the axe head and on the handle... anything like that already adds to the effect.

Art isn't easy, concepts and back stories aren't easy either... but learning to do it is essential.

Don't feel discouraged, you've done a good model it's just the concept of it. I sense hesitance in you from the criticism you've received so far and imo you don't have to adopt our advice right here and right now on this project if you feel hesitant to change everything again although it would be the best move to take it on board right away... the main thing is to just keep this in mind for the next approach to your next project.

Hope that helps.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, I never thought about the backstory before making this asset, so I kind of just went and tried to make it look like a realistic axe.

It will probably be hard to go back to this asset and radically change it, so I am probably going to just start a brand new asset to implement that advice.

I am going to continue with this prop, but I will make it more interesting. I saw an portfolio piece before where someone had a mail box, and they had a few different variants where the mailbox got progressively more broken and worn. I am thinking of doing something like this for the axe, gradually adding more damage to the blade and the handle, adding rust etc.

Ill keep the idea of having a back story for when I make my next asset
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Doxturtle wrote: »
    I saw an portfolio piece before where someone had a mail box, and they had a few different variants where the mailbox got progressively more broken and worn. I am thinking of doing something like this for the axe, gradually adding more damage to the blade and the handle, adding rust etc.

I think you're citing a bud's tutorial: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/digital-tutors-real-time-aging-and-decay-for-games

Big thing to know when doing something like that is that tutorials are seen by many. I'd recommend taking the principals Clint addressed and applying them to a different prop with metals and woods or anything set of materiel properties.

But maintain your ambition, watch a lot of tutorials and you'll grow real fast.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never saw the tutorial, I just vaguely remembered seeing the finished images.

I was going to attempt a similar idea but with this axe instead
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to finish of the axe to a decent standard (still some sculpting left to do). I decided to start on a full environment instead.

Here is the semi finished axe:

809119455.png

291872368.png?465

1433884429.png

598020432.png

9501277_orig.png

4567912_orig.png

4953857_orig.png

I think I learn't quite a lot from this project, which is always a good thing. I should be able to work on some more complex props and environments now that I know the basic workflow of PBR, it isn't as daunting anymore.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went back and totally reworked the textures

1438963403.png

470968253.png