Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Sculpt, Hand painted texture?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx ngon master
I've been trying to follow Fanny's texture tutorial on Vertex 2 HD (Amazing art by her).

But i totally get lost at the step where she creates the Matcap Grey (From Matcap red Vax.. well honestly i get lost when she starts to create the detail inside the stones but anyway! :D )

My main question is if there's someone out there that could take some time and explain the processor in more detal.

So my step so far

1. Made simple blockout of a tiling brick texture
2. Sculpted it on the edges and a bit on the inside
3. Baked out NM, AO and HM
0r3k5dw.jpg
kN5XH3k.jpg
0r3k5dw.jpg
So where am i lost?

1. How to bake out the rest of the matcaps that's wanted from the tutorial (see pic) ptGwdDz.jpg

2. Understanding how to set them up correct in PHOTOSHOP and when/where to use a brush to make them more handpainted!

Best regards

One who wonders

Replies

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    This is kind of a heavy topic, and I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. If you're looking to get more of a painterly look, it's just a matter creating that detail with the brushes you're comfortable with.

The tutorial she wrote out is fairly detailed, and she goes in depth just enough for you to start some google searching if you're unfamiliar with zbrush.

But 1. She's baking out those matcaps by just doing a BPR (shift + R) with perspective turned off and the viewport snapped to the top. Then she's doing a screen grab (printscreen button on your keyboard) and pasting that into photoshop. She does this with several screengrabs and composites them in photoshop.

2. Check out her layer stack, and really just experiment. It's about finding what works best for you and gives the look you're trying to get for that specific texture. She uses a combination of the red,green, and blue channels of her normal map, the baked AO and height maps, and the screen shots she took from zbrush. Use different layer modes like multiply and lighten until you get a good base, add in blocks of color and reduce the opacity to make it subtle.

3. She actually paints on it! Yep, that's right. It's not just a hand painted look, she does do some hand painting if she needs to.

Your experiment is looking good so far, but I would keep going on the details. You want a good range in height, and your internal details should be just as strong as the edge details. I would recommend to keep sculpting until you're happy with it and then worry about the texturing process.

The matcap red with a grey color is made using the materials menu, there you can actually edit the matcap and pick different colors for the material. You may only see the differences when you render it out.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Jfitch, thank you for taking your time. I'll try to do better sculpts inside as outside and i'll see through it!