Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Starcraft 2 Marine/Marauder Concept Rifle

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dethling polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

this project started as a personal "speed model challenge" but now I'm eager to finish it.

I used one of the concept sketches from the Starcraft 2 WoL Artbook as basis:
speemodel_by_dethling-d8ty7s0.jpg

I started by doing a blockout and then I build the ingame model from it. At the moment I'm at ~ 10k verts.

screen04_by_dethling-d8v7xbz.png

The render was done in 3DO. You can download the .obj file here: http://a360.co/1QfM1xp

For the texture I plan to use substance painter and go with a "terran standard" color sheme (black, silver/white, blue)

I want to ask the polycount community for unfiltered feedback, tips and other help as this is my first rifle and I want to get it into shape to add it to my portfolio.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I also thinking about adding some scope to the top as the rear top part looks a little bit empty. :)

Replies

• Limewax
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    Dethling wrote: »
    Hi,

Edit: I also thinking about adding some scope to the top as the rear top part looks a little bit empty. :)

I think adding the scope would be a great idea! Otherwise, the entire model looks great so far. I think you're getting in the ballpark of the style.

One part that jumps out at me right now is "where is the trigger?" Something to keep in mind.
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.

Yeah I already thought about the trigger.
    Did some rough versions of it, but non of them looks good. Also the grip is to much to the front on the concept, to add a normal trigger.
    At the moment I'm thinking of leaving without a trigger and explain it with a "smartlink" which allows the soldier to fire the weapon with his thoughts.
  • Grusti
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    7OpXbFh.png
    IMHO don't be afraid to adding more edges for circular shapes.
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    good point, it seems I had a little "brain lag" there and thought this shapes are octonal, not round...
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the front "Handle":
    screen07_by_dethling-d8vd4c0.png

I'm not totally happy with the wireframe but the round holes looks much better, thanks IlyaIvanovArt
  • Grusti
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Look more closely
    GaVgQro.png
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the front and also did some work on the barrel:
    screen01_by_dethling-d8vfv08.png

Edit:
    Updated version including the first block out for the scope:
    screen02_by_dethling-d8vh2ii.png
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update:
    Finished the high poly model in Max and working on the UV at the moment.
    As soon as the UV is ready I will bring the High Poly to zbrush to add some damage.
    Then I will do the first bake (Normal, AO & Color ID), after which I ill add some small details (like imprinted writings, Bolt Details etc.) with ndo.

As soon as this is finished (hopefully this weekend) I will go to substance painter to do the texture.

Let's see what I get done during the weekend. :)
  • MNBerry
    Hey there! I think you are definitely headed in the right direction and what you have so far looks good. The only thing that I noticed is that your clip and where it attaches is rotated at an angle slightly and I am not really getting that from yours. Could just be the camera angle. Keep up the good work!
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the
    UV Mapping today and did the first bakes (AO & Normal without surface details).
    I exploded the model for the first bake to make it easier to find errors.
    This is the InGame Model with AO and normal so far:
    screen03_by_dethling-d8wa8et.png

Tomorrow I will fix the two error in the middel part and begin with the surface and normal details
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    First texture run:

screen05_by_dethling-d8wc5lj.png

Textured in Photoshop and Substance Designer (4096 PBR), Rendered in 3Do
    VertCount: 11.131
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    And the Rifle with the finished textures in UE4:
    rifle_egine_by_dethling-d8wls19.jpg

Clip is still missing. This will be done this week.
  • Chimi Jimi
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    you have a really nice model i think you can push the texture work a fair bit to really bring it further and create some definition between the materials it may be your lighting setup in ue4 tho since your first texture pass looks alot better then the ue version
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Chimi Jimi wrote: »
    you have a really nice model i think you can push the texture work a fair bit to really bring it further and create some definition between the materials it may be your lighting setup in ue4 tho since your first texture pass looks alot better then the ue version

Yep. Better textures + better lighting will make this much much better.

There have been a ton of posts on artstation recently of guns with the marmoset viewer. Study how some of the better artists author their maps!
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, will definitly look at some other examples.
    I don't like the metal parts myself, especially the darker metal.

And yes, my lighting setup in UE sucks... I put the texture to 3Do and it looks muuuuch better:
    screen03_by_dethling-d8wmo5g.png

But I will definitly take another go on the dark metal parts.
    Anyone has some good tutorials/tips for creating believable "gun metal" with substance painter/designer?
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    completed the magazin today and gave marmorset a first try.
    rifle_screen_by_dethling-d8x3fzd.jpg

Not yet happy with the blue plastic and also the metal parts need more definition/details.