Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cursed Cathedral Graveyard [WIP]

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ddoan88 polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone it has been years since I last posted something on here and figured it was long overdue. This is a side environment I have been doing in my spare time. Feedback and critiques as always is welcomed and I look forward to updating this thread and reading your comments.

For anyone who is interested in seeing my whole process I have been recording it and uploading it onto YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/dallasdoan88/

ScreenShot00003.png

ScreenShot00004.png

ScreenShot00005.png

ScreenShot00006.png

Replies

• Megacorpse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    First off, the architecture and layout look great to me, I dig that mysterious red like coming from the inside. I think the scenery catches the eye nicely and I get a nice Thief/Dark Mod vibe from this.

However, the sky is extremely contrasted while the cathedral really fades in the fog. This should be the other way around : The cathedral is supposed the focus, with the red light breaking the color scheme and drawing the eye, the sky being part of the background. I would tone down the mist and seriously decontrast the sky. Also my personal preference would be a sliiightly bluish night ambient light in contrast with the warm red light.

Since it's obviously an abandoned place, the ground screams for more foliage, wild grass, maybe stray rocks from the cathedral. Right now you'd swear someone is regularly mowing the lawn.

Keep it up! You already have something very nice, you just need to sell it more.
  • ddoan88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @megacorpse Dude that is some great feedback. I can't believe I overlooked the fog and contrast in the sky. What your suggesting makes perfect sense. I will also play around with the sky color a bit and see how that works out. As for foliage on the ground that is on my priority hit list for the next few sessions. Thanks again for the feedback and I look forward to showing you guys more updates in the near future. In the meantime keep up the feedback, I will be coming back to this thread to keep gathering up ideas to keep improving on the environment.
  • ddoan88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little quick update to the scene. I added in some grass and dead bushes to the ground to give it more foliage. I will adjust the distance fog and ground fog a bit later. I want to try and add some rock piles to the ground to help break up the terrain a bit more.

ScreenShot00002.png
  • ddoan88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Added more foilage. Djusted Sky color and Sky texture. Did more vertex painting on overall scene. Added some rocks to the ground and adjusted fog intensity on ground.

01.png

02.png

03.png