Home General Discussion

No student license for Marmoset Toolbag?

Bummer6
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
Didn't really know where to post, so I decided to play it safe and post in the general section, hope you don't mind.

I'm a student, and we sometimes use Marmoset toolbag 2 at my school for rendering our models. I'd like to keep working on some of my models from home after school. Problem is that Marmoset doesn't offer any kind of student discounts or student licenses. Pretty much all the other software we use has some kind of student license available, like Autodesk and Quixel. So why is it that Marmoset doesn't? I'm not exactly angry or annoyed, just sorta surprised. It just seems like a strange thing not to have.

Replies

• Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Probably because it's not something people really "need". It's an endgame thing for showing off your model, just like Unity and Unreal(though these two are full fledged game engines) It's a render engine and neither of those have student discounts either. I personally don't see a need for a student version, it's only $130 for newcomers. Not much at all compared to other software. Plus Pixologic doesn't offer student licenses either, you have to go through a third party partner for that I believe
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Mainly because marmoset is really cheap for what it is (also it's a permanent license), also student license price are for really pricey and must-have software that you need to learn, marmoset takes 15min to learn and isn't a need, you can do you render in maya or max.

130$ is nothing for something you'll use all your life. Just don't go out in your next 3-4 " Hey dude wanna hang out tonight" and you'll pay for it.
  • myclay
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    the student versions from Autodesk and quixel are non commercial only.

The Marmoset team as it seems wants you to actually being able to earn money with their product. the pricetag of $129 is for a student in my opinion ok.
  • Teessider
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    I think its a reasonably priced software regardless of no student discount. They have a sale on every now and again so maybe pick it up then? :)
  • Bummer6
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
    thanks for all the answers! It does make sense now that I think about it. I kinda feel silly for not having thought of that before.