Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character concept help!

This is a character I am currently attempting to concept. He is a mercenary in a dystopian future type setting. Please help with design...

S54r7HZ.jpg

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    So what do you want to achieve with it? Its really hard to just give random crits on everything. design is kind of a broad term. do you need help on color, anatomy, material definition? what your goal/target platform, is the final product gonna be 3D or 2D?

what style are you going for? Its actually a pretty straight forward design, there are some anatomy problems and the whole thing is kind of blurry and messy, but despite that its looks pretty solid to me.
  • jmerrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Lotet, thank you for responding to my thread. Sorry for being a bit vague in the description...The character is going to be made in 3d. I am just trying to get better at my 2d drawing and design skills so I can become a better 3d character artist. Color is definitely something that I struggle with maybe the most when it comes to designing things, other than my obvious lack of drawing & anatomy skills.

The style I am going for is somewhere between Guardians of the Galaxy and Mad Max with some borderlands influence perhaps. (vague again I know lol)
  • jmerrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just need to make an interesting character that can fit into a current gen game world
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I think the design has some good ideas to them, but the rendering is very rough, it is important to feel some sense of light direction and material to the elements you have designed. Doing a line art of this character will make a difference if you want to make it more readable before tackling it in 3d. And if you feel like it try to paint the lighting on the character afterwards

That will help you in your further concepts,

good luck!
  • jmerrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Wizo that's great advice I will definitely mess around with the lighting direction and the material types.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    thanks for the extra info. I would recommend doing lineart, and maybe some color variations before you start rendering things out. dont focus on presentation, Its important to remember that when most companies publish "concept art" its actually promotion art.

This is how you do actual design, warhammer online is probably the best example ive seen of actual concept art being released. see how every detail is pretty clear and not that much detail is spent on lighting or rendering.
    b512390d8c89162ed70da33708607d87.jpg
    warhammera27S2b2C104n6.jpg
  • jmerrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah! That's the kind of concept art I was trying to achieve, as far as the quick gestural sketches and drawings that show I can follow a process from start to finish as a 3d artist and solve my own problems in 2d if need be. Not necessarily trying to be an incredibly detailed concept artist per say. Great stuff, thanks lotet