Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: DDO crashes when importing Color Map

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
sun_smasher polycounter lvl 9
So I'm not sure what caused this problem. Originally, DDO would crash just at launching. I found there was a patch, so I downloaded both files, installed them, and now I can launch DDO through the Quixel suite however when I try to input a color id map the suite crashes. I can input a normal map just fine (haven't tried the others yet), but not the color map.

29yqiht.jpg

30m23oh.jpg

Any idea what could be going on? Thanks.

UPDATE: When I try to run just with the normal map, it crashes all the same with the same windows. So I have no idea what could be going on. It never crashed on me before when it was simply DDO and NDO separately. Does anyone know if just those programs still exist to download? Because honestly I would much prefer to revert back to using them as they were before.

Replies

• jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsonedecker polycounter lvl 9
    I get the same issue and sent a message to Quixel about it yesterday... no response yet.

It seems like it started after I updated PS last week. I can no longer open existing projects without the crash either.
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah this happened to me when I updated as well. I was able to use it before, but not since I updated :(
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since an update to fix it is probably out of the question any time soon, does anyone know of a way to roll back to a previous PS version?

I'm dead in the water and can't get any texturing work done at the moment.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sun_smasher, there might be some issues with your input files, try a sample project from here
    and see if same thing happens!

jsondecker - do you have the exact same issue that the suite crashes when you try to input maps?
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, same issue Eric. It happens when I load a previous project, with a new one and with the sample project.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm OK, is it when you load the maps in to the base creator or is it when you click the "Create" button?
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me its when I click create. With an existing project that I load its during the load itself.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, and this just started happening at random? it has worked before?
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it worked just fine for a long time. I believe it happened when I did the latest PS CC update. I didn't use the suite until about 4 days after I updated so I can't say for sure, but that seems like a logical explanation.

PS says 2014.2.2 Release for a version if that matters.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling both PS and the Suite with exactly the same results.

ADDED:
    I also get the same results with and without the stability patch for 1.8 from a few months ago.

If there was a way to backout a PS update then I'd try that, but I don't know of one.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for that additional info jsondecker! We will look in to it, I´ll let you know as soon as I have any info.
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Eric, sorry it took so long to reply to this, my internet is less that reliable right now.

Anyway, I downloaded the Orc project, unpacked it to my downloads folder, and tried to simply open the project. Opening the project produced this error:

33nz1w8.jpg

What would you recommend from here? The only thing I can default to is reinstalling the program, which doesn't involve much.

Thoughts?
  • amusic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was getting those only and only if using png color files, import of tif, tga does not crach suite in my case..
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just tried that and changing the colormap to TIFF allowed me to load it and all the other maps(those are tga's), but when I hit Create Base it does the same crash.

I tried changing everything to TIFF and get same crash when loading files now. So unfortunately that doesn't work here.
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn. I really don't understand what broke between the stand alones and quixel.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It certainly seems like something in the latest PS did something to The Suite. If you´ve tried with the sample projects and they don´t work then the error is in the software for sure. are both of you running Photoshop CreativeCloud? We cant even update our Photoshops right now, seems something is broken with their update at the moment. We´ll keep trying and dig in to this issue! Sorry about the problems!
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I am on Creative Cloud.
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in Photoshop CS6 (64bit). I was running PS5 and it worked fine for me before.
  • jango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jango polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, i think the crash happen when importing a bitmap with a transparent background.
    try to fill the background with some color and see if it's help.
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It happens when I use tga as well, so that isn't it.
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, I get it. I have a small game studio and I know how hard it is to provide support. So I feel for you guys.

However, you have a product that does not work for some of those that have paid for it. And it hasn't worked for 3 weeks now and there hasn't been a whole lot done to fix it. You have paying customers that can't use your product and here is the extent of the help:

1) This thread.... that really only asks for info
    2) An email exchange with 'support' that consisted of 4 messages with 1 thing to try in each... Do a fresh install of Quixel Suite, Did you give Admin rights before running, Try it with PS 6 then Sorry.

I'm not bitter, just frustrated that there has been no real movement or valid attempts at fixing this issue. And no, re-install and Admin rights are not progress. ;)

Its a pretty big issue as the Suite is more or less unusable! 3 weeks and you can't even identify what the problem is? Obviously we want a fix , but a simple "We found the issue and fixed it internally and it will be out in the next patch" is better than the nothing we are getting.

Come on guys/gals... I really want to support you and keep using your product(s), but you are making it near impossible to do so.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the lack of response jsondecker, we are looking in to this bug right now, I will get back to you with our findings in a couple of hours!
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • 4GetRich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all.

I am not really sure but i get pretty similar error if i leave transparent pixel to my ID_Map.
    Hopely this helps...
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsondecker I´m sending you a trial-patch and instructions as PM!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunsmasher - Are you running PS as admin? We could not find anything wrong in the registry with this latest cs6 update.
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PM received and responded... do go. Same errors. :(
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, I get it. I have a small game studio and I know how hard it is to provide support. So I feel for you guys.

However, you have a product that does not work for some of those that have paid for it. And it hasn't worked for 3 weeks now and there hasn't been a whole lot done to fix it. You have paying customers that can't use your product and here is the extent of the help:

1) This thread.... that really only asks for info
    2) An email exchange with 'support' that consisted of 4 messages with 1 thing to try in each... Do a fresh install of Quixel Suite, Did you give Admin rights before running, Try it with PS 6 then Sorry.

I'm not bitter, just frustrated that there has been no real movement or valid attempts at fixing this issue. And no, re-install and Admin rights are not progress. ;)

Its a pretty big issue as the Suite is more or less unusable! 3 weeks and you can't even identify what the problem is? Obviously we want a fix , but a simple "We found the issue and fixed it internally and it will be out in the next patch" is better than the nothing we are getting.

Come on guys/gals... I really want to support you and keep using your product(s), but you are making it near impossible to do so.

I'm in the same boat with jsondecker. I'm a freelance artist, I paid for Quixel, and I relied heavily on it to help with my workload. Not being able to use it has cost me hours and money and it's rather frustrating. If nothing else, I really wish there was a way for me to revert back to a stable version that worked. Is there an online library with this option? Because I would jump at it.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sun smasher you can revert to any version you like by going to the main toolbar menu and select "launch updater" Did you try running it as admin btw?

We´re thinking we might have to remote debug both of you, we´ve tried to get it to krasch with both cs6 and CC 2014 but we can´t find anything related to the specific version. Could you both PM me your skype handles so we can add you?
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so it seems to be working now and I have no idea why. PS didn't update, but I did have Windows Defender turn itself on/off a couple times, I did an update on that and rebooted. Not the Suite is working.

I'm not sure if that helps track the issue down or not.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsondecker thanks for reporting back! It certainly helps to narrow it down, may I ask if you´ve done any registry cleaning, or have run any malware or virus scan lately? we´ve seen cases where those have affected the SUITE.
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to try a combo of a fresh install of quixel and admin mode. I sent a pm with my username too but I'll post if I get any good results.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sun_Smasher!
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I tried a completely fresh install of Quixel 1.8 and it -seems- to be working. I am not currently running it in administrator mode but I am able to create projects so I'm hopeful!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great news! Keep me in the loop!
  • jsonedecker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric,
    The only thing I did was install a registry thing called Take Ownership for another problem I was having with Google Drive. Nothing SUITE specific.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks jsondecker! Good to know.