Home General Discussion

Unexpectedly getting freelance work?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Higuy polycounter lvl 9
The run down: I'm primarily a level designer/game designer, while also doing some art. Recently a friend got hired by a company, company had position opening for a UX/Game Designer and I got interviewed. CEO wants me to help work on a project, but instead of coming on directly, wants to basically contract the work. He's asking for a daily rate and I really have no idea as I've never done this before. This will literally be my first game design job ever in the industry and I'm only a couple days out of college. Was kinda hoping the job would be in house, but I'm okay with this. I just gotta figure some stuff out.

This isn't more of a "what do I do", but rather, "how should I act next"? How do I establish a reasonable daily rate for this kind of work? I know its not art and you guys are primarily artists here... I'm assuming researching rates of course, which I've started, but I also have no industry experience besides my free, independent work I have done and I'm assuming I should take that into account.

A little nudge in the right direction here would be nice. Thanks!!

Replies

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    glassdoor your level and position (use other surveys you think you can trust). look for a salary calculator that'll convert yearly salary to hourly. Estimate how many hours you want to work per day. Factor in extra costs like software rentals, where on earth you're located, etc.

Just quote the highest rate you're comfortable asking. Be ready for the lowest rate you'll agree to in case you'll get negotiated down (plus/minus factors such as when you'll get paid, if direct deposit, check or bitcoin, is this person legit?)

Good luck.
  • KeirKieran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah, walk in with a range you're willing to accept (taking into account everything the work will cost you).

Start high, because you can always go down, but if you start down, you can't go back up. If he says something like, "That's too high," and just stops, ask him something like, "What would you be willing to do?" Or "What would fit in your budget?" That opens up the discussion and gets things going. Remember, while your first number is higher than what you need, his first number is probably lower than he has budget for.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be doing some research then and see what I can come up with for it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good advice above.

We also have some rate averages here
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance#Freelance_Rates

It should be noted, companies usually want a contractor rather than an employee because an employee costs them significantly more (health insurance, taxes, equipment, desk space, etc.).

However as a contractor, you need to pay all those things yourself. So you need to factor those costs into your rate, or you're going to get screwed later on, when you need to pay all those bills.

It's a balancing act. You need to be paid enough to live on, but you need to get those jobs. When jobs are few, you can lower your rate to get more work. But when jobs are plentiful again, you need to raise your rate.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Make a list of software needing to purchase or if they will supply a license for the software for the term of contract. Then factor in living costs, etc. Id shoot for like a $45k+ salary (why not shoot for more if you are feeling confident, your portfolio is SOLID) starting rate right out of college as freelancing, but really is circumstantial to your living expenses as stated before. You could always ask for more because the job will not provide benefits, the fact that its a temp contract position, etc. You could always provide your desired daily rate but mention it is up for discussion to meet team budgets/resources. If the person in charge of this hiring process is not a dick, they will most likely be receptive to the fact that you are willing to discuss the pricing and come to a point where both parties are happy. That is in my experience anyway.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the advice Eric and Add3r, this is all very helpful. It's all new to me but I think I'm starting to figure it out! I'm of course going to be receptive to negotiation on the pricing and the man I've been talking to is very friendly. I'm just very happy I've found some work!

Thanks again guys! :)