Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wills and Wonders screenshots; likes and dislikes

I took screenshots of my game, Wills and Wonders, and looking for feedback on things you liked about them and/or things you disliked; and also very open to suggestions on ways to improve. Looking forward to feedback, thank you for taking a moment to look them over.

The saved games screen.
SWat6l.png

The world map.
ycvvW3.png

When accessing a territory to move or attack this party selection menu appears.
F0Rhxa.png

When choosing a quest.
NtIKCM.png

Inspecting a territories parties and items.
ViqaoI.png

Inspecting a party leader or member.
Gk0l3Y.png

Upgrading a character.
87SUxo.png

Character movement selection.
pSwnlm.png

Character's combat ring and on hover tooltip.
YcdWJM.png

Character's combat selection.
j2CArF.png

Replies

• WillfullyWhimsicalWizard
    New sprite for the Draugr, check it out.
    4h3Xik.gif
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Art looks fine, GUI looks bad, the layout is fine, but the art looks kind of 90s.

its the repeating random noise textures and the bevel all the edges kind of look Im not really feeling. Im talking about menus and buttons mostly. also get proper fonts, and dont use the same font for titles.

Take a look at say Hearthstone or Diablo for reference,
    hearthstone_screensho5vspq.png
    Auction%20House_Bidding_Currency.jpg
    Thanks for the advice. To recap; better looking buttons, special font/backgrounds for titles, and I think what your saying with your examples is the menus need more depth/layers. I plan to completely redesign the upgrading screen but do you think there are any aspects to the GUI that should be completely redesigned?
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    well really just give it more love.
    as an indie developer myself, I know how hard it is to give as much love to the GUI as you do to the rest of the stuff, its easy to just go "well shit we need some buttons here or the game wont work".
    I do this too, but you really have to think of the GUI as just as important as everything else, every button, every icon, every frame, every piece of text should look great. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

in short, if your art looks amazing, but the GUI (or sound for that matter) is bad, your game is bad.
    lol well yeah I do fall victim to the mentality of this button is needed and these statistics need to be shown. However this is the step after that so really hoping for some specific advice. I spent lots of love making it so the UI is very intuitive and interactive, such as things interact on hover and controls work on common sense. I just trust in my artist to make it look nice, plus what I, or he, likes is not always the best for the majority so thanks for the opinion because it really helps me make an educated decision.
  • Josh Brannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, I love UI critiques! I apologize if my response is a little wordy, but this is what I'm going to school for so I tend to get excited about it. I'll try to restrain myself :P

Saved game screen:
    The text "Click to start a new game" get lost in the background texture. The X buttons in the corners also suffer from this. Perhaps this screen could benefit from some sort of strong visual indication that there is a button. Since all three elements on the top, middle, and bottom have the same frame around them i just assume that they are either all buttons or all static visual content. Don't be afraid to use some bolder colors as well.

The world map:
    I like the look of the map, but the indication of specific areas to click on is very weak. I'm assuming you click on the small brown objects to move to that location? Also, what purpose does the slanted frame serve in the bottom left? If there is not one, then you should remove it. This screen also is subject to my previous suggestion about increasing the visual indication that there is a button. The "Menu" button is almost not visible at all and the end turn button is so small It's hard just to click. I'm also a tad confused on what the box in the upper left is, though I'm assuming it would be more apparent had I played the game. The world map has a lot of potential, but it really just needs some coherency and visual hierarchy.

Territory screen:
    Aha, I can now see that the small brown objects are castles. I'm going to agree with Lotet about the fonts , choose something extremely legible that shows up well in multiple resolutions and use a variation or complementing font for titles and important text. The illustrations within all of the frames are nice, but for the sake of readability they should be toned down. In Lotet's Diablo example, the screens still have texture, but it is barely there and complements the text and buttons, it doesn't compete with them. I can now also see the use of those slanted rectangles, but maybe that is not the best shape to display all of that information in; just a thought.

Quest screen:
    Again, good potential, but it has a ways to go. The colors here are somewhat blase, dull purple and barely visible yellow. Also There is a word on the right side of each quest that I can not read at all. If this word is important make it readable; If it is something that is used a lot consider turning into an icon. The difficulty and quest name are different colors, but the are still the same font, making it difficult to determine what I'm looking at. Try adding labels to the top and / or changing up the colors / typeface / size for one.

As i now feel that I'm repeating myself quite a bit I'll try to condense my comments

Inspecting territories / parties / items:
    Give some indication of what is selected, a gold frame (or something, anything). Label the categories (Items, heroes, territories, etc.). Tell what the items do (on hover?). I can't read the level text of the the current hero (I think his name is Askr?). Name and specialty has the same presence on screen, one should stand out.

Inspecting party leader / member:
    Labels please, i have no idea which categories are which. Also, what is the giant circle of icons in the middle? Items?

Upgrading a character:
    Far too much text. What am I upgrading, besides their character descriptions? Stats? +1 dmg?

Character movement selection:
    Circles are the most inefficient shapes for displaying information inside. What happened to the rectangles? Is that information needed all the time? The Wiz's health bar is being covered by the giant spiky mace guy, should it be overlayed or maybe horizontal? Think about what you really need to show and be consistent.

Combat ring and hover tool tip:
    It would bee cool if you could show the range of what you are hovering over. Will you be implementing hotkeys? Beginners may need tool tips, but seasoned players want efficient, clean interaction.

Character combat selection:
    "Choose an enemy" would be a good tip to display. I would like to see the range of attacks before I select a method of attack, as I said of the previous screen.

In summary
    - Stronger indication of interactions (i.e. buttons)
    - Bolder, more readable colors
    - Legible typefaces
    - Visual hierarchy

If you want really awesome reference for a mechanically similar game I suggest you play Massive Chalice. Their UI is simple, but robust and the game is really fun.
    massive-chalice-5.jpg
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Drop the comic sans ms font too, everything but that.

Your pixel art is really pretty but everything else feel like you didn't have enough love for it.
    Thank you so much Josh for the large organized response, I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback.
    lol Odow, what font would you recommend? I was trying to stick to basic fonts shipped with windows, as I try to find what font I should use.
    On second thought I'll have a custom font built. Open to any advice or samples of a font design any of you would create to jazz things up.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    On second thought I'll have a custom font built. Open to any advice or samples of a font design any of you would create to jazz things up.

remember you probably want more then one font. at least one for normal text thats easy to read but still capture the feel of the game. and one for buttons and short texts, such as "critical hit" or click here" and the likes. this font can be more epic and have more of the games style embodied to it, since its mostly used for shorter phrases or even single words.

here is another example for diablo
    http://www.blizzplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/diablo-iii-change-game-button.jpg

look how the "shadow of the desert" line and the buttons are written in the classic diablo style we know and love, but the actual info text is a lot simpler.
    I made some changes regarding fonts. Implementing two different fonts, one for displaying basic information and one for titles. The one on the left is the new fonts and the one on the right being the old font.
    Let me know what ya think of the new fonts.

hWTJ8W.png
    Working on overhauling the GUI to make is easier to use, less intrusive, and just make it more appealing.

bAFQwX.png
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks good, I like the new title font from your last post btw.
  • Shawry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shawry null
    I think its mainly lacking in general typographic consistency. For example, on that last screenshot of the 'resume game' screen why is there such a big space between the banner/heraldry and the game stats? And then having the "Saved Game 2" crammed up in the top and corner of the box. Spacing is big issue on all the screenshots here.

Your game is very heavy on text, so it has to be the priority.

The 'Delete' button is basically the main element on this last screen. That would be one of the last options I want to do if I was playing. How about a "Resume Game" button as the main focus ("call-to-action" is the marketing term). And still, that font...

Quick example with some font adjustments:
    game-drawover.jpg
    Sorry about the font, was in the middle of revamping the way I do font all together. The focus will be on 2 types, titles and basic. It will make things much more crisp in regards to resolution changes at significantly improved performance. I will wait for that to be finished before updating another screen as to not offend :)

Your 100% correct about the resume button and this will be added. In the previous version of this screen the user would simply click anywhere within the frame. I can see how it seems odd with this new layout. Thanks Shawry.
  • linwail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail polycounter lvl 5
    Something about the font is still throwing me off but I think the updates to it helped a lot. I really think that you should work on how things are laid out as well. It looks very cluttered
    linwail wrote: »
    Something about the font is still throwing me off but I think the updates to it helped a lot. I really think that you should work on how things are laid out as well. It looks very cluttered

Going to change the entire UI enlight of the discussions here; the saved games screen is the first step in that direction. I'm sure you will like the new fonts as well as the new way the font rendering is handled. Once I make some more changes to the saved games screen I will post it here.
    Alright the new system is in place for fonts, let me know if you like them. Let me know if you would like to see a third font utilized and if so then what and where.
    I also made some changes based on Shawry's recommendations.

Any suggestions to further improve this screen are welcome, thanks for all the great feedback everyone.

WuxY2n.png
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Niiice, looking really sweet! I mean you could tweak forever but This is definitely on an acceptable level. I say move on to other parts of the game.
  • Karmilian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neat looking game!! looking forward to it
    lotet wrote: »
    Niiice, looking really sweet! I mean you could tweak forever but This is definitely on an acceptable level. I say move on to other parts of the game.

Thanks, working late on improving the visuals of the story quest aspect of the game and couldn't help tweaking the previous screen some more. I'll post a scene when it's finished.

I40W45.png
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Congrats on your Kickstarter launch! I hope it goes well. There's a lot I really like about this product... especially games that mix text adventure into a larger context like Space Rangers did!
    Thanks ironbelly! Glad to hear you think were moving in the the right direction. With the UI overhaul we also plan to be overhauling the story aspects. For example pulling the stories from class upgrades and doing more story towards how the world is being shaped by the players actions.
  • Ashenwraith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some ideas that might help:

- Use 3/4 portraits or turn your sprites to 3/4 as often as possible. Right now all the staight-on views of the sprites doesn't do the game justice and makes it look like a cheap flash doll dress-up game

- Use bitmapped fonts with shadows (can't go wrong with metallics like brass). This can be done really easy in PS and angelcode's bitmap font generator. Otherwise you need to hire a UX artist.

- Hire an environment artist or at least create BG art with darker/faded/mature theme to them so that the sprites are easier to read and fit the game. Right now they are so simple and bright they look more at home with a Powerpuff Girls game. Take a look at Final Fantasy 6's battle BGs or even Chrono Trigger's stylized moodiness. Probably the easiest thing to do is just convert photo textures to pixel or painted art.

GL man!
    - Oh yah, just a cheap way to do it but it will be changing.

- Just overhauled how the text is handled recently so that is ready to go.
    Can you give me an example?

- Do you like the style of the BG otherwise? Basically add more detailed terrain?

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Ashenwraith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here look at Soul Calibur fonts in a bitmap format:
    SC2FontSheet.png~original

Very easy to read, simple and professional. Easy to add colors like brass, etc. Or a slight shadow for increased readability:
    Soulcalibur-II-screenshot-soulcalibur-34379359-640-448.png

Here look at this ugly screenshot of Diablo 2--notice how all the colorful characters and items pop from the BG. It's not just the detail but the colors:
    diablo2-mac-screenshot-1.jpg

Another example from Castevania, notice how dark/faded colors create depth:
    gfs_50215_2_10.jpg
    I'll try out some shading on the text I have now and give it a look, but will hopefully have a custom font done at some point. Yeah I've really been stressing for depth, hopefully be able to get another artist or two in the future; two heads are greater then one. Thanks for the examples.
  • Ashenwraith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One tip I can give you that would help a lot with marketability based on what you already have/made is to target the Harry Potter audience...

- Sort into schools
    - Build your own wand
    - Have children wizards as playable chars
    - Similar spell to petronus or whatever

- Tell people it's inspired by HP

If you're trying to compete with say Age of Wonders or more mature strat games you're going to have an upward battle because they have plenty of AAA art and high expectations.

Wills and Wonders is now available on the steam store for early release. Follow the link below or give us a search on your steam client. Thank you for the support and we hope you enjoy the game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/513060/

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Hey! congrats on getting on steam, hope it goes well  :)