Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

What do you guys think?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
I have been working on this off and on for awhile since returning from GDC. Taking the critiques and advice I was given and applied them into the map as you see it now. I'm a little nervous posting here for the critique I need from the public's eye and the fact that I think this is close to being complete.

A couple things I would like to get advice on is the lighting. For what little I do know and trying to learn, I think I did a decent job but could probably do better with outside sources. The other being the overall map, does it look like a room you can define yourself as a viewer without me telling you what the room is for? Make sense?

Also, I'm currently using UDK for this map and would like tips for improving the normal depth on my floor material. I have the weekend off and any advice anyone gives me, I'll apply pretty quickly and add additional images.

Be gentle, please....ha ha! I apologize if this is lengthy.

Image%207%20v2.1.jpg

Image%201%20v2.1.jpg

Image%203%20v2.1.jpg

Image%206%20v2.1.jpg

Image%204%20v2.1.jpg

Image%209%20v2.1.jpg

With the lighting, do these shadows work? I unchecked a shadow option(can't remember which one right now) due to the shadows popping out in all directions from the light I placed underneath

Image%202%20v2.1.jpg

Image%205%20v2.1.jpg

Image%208%20v2.1.jpg

I'm going for touch screen, this is another area I'd like to improve if necessary. What can I add to it or change? Leave it alone?

Image%207%20v2.1.jpg

Replies

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    I think that everything is blending together a bit because it looks very monochromatic and while you have the orangeish color, it has a very cool tone. Also, the red screen is suuuuper saturated at the moment, I would maybe make it look a bit see through or tone it down?

The models look pretty clean, but I do think you could use a bit more geo on the tubes. They're looking a bit angled at points.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think the models look pretty good but agree with what nick said. Maybe a little bit more contrast in the lighting too. Could make the lights coming off the screens etc a bit stronger. Don't mean they need a wider radius just maybe a bit more of an stronger effect or something to off set the purple in places.

Some of the Halo games might be a good point of ref for that actually as they use a lot of purple.
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have fixed the issues with the cables you speak of and added segments to the areas that didn't look right. I've also added Point Lights to the monitors that put off a soft glow to break up the purple a bit more. I also changed the color on the column I have to a blue and added a weak Point Light as well to break up the color a bit more. I also desaturated the background color to something more mute. I also gave the large monitor a slightly transparent effect.

Image%203%20v2.2.jpg

Image%201%20v2.2.jpg

I just noticed the mesh that was out of place in this image and fixed it.

Image%204%20v2.2.jpg

Image%202%20v2.2.jpg
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    The scene needs more work on the colors/saturation and personally I think you put too much detail everywhere, leaving no place for the eyes to rest. I mean, the floor itself is too noisy and draws too much attention. I don't even know where to look, apart from the highly saturated screens. The ceiling is well detailed and not noisy as the floor. Apart from that, the props and models look sweet.
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy wrote: »
    The scene needs more work on the colors/saturation and personally I think you put too much detail everywhere, leaving no place for the eyes to rest. I mean, the floor itself is too noisy and draws too much attention. I don't even know where to look, apart from the highly saturated screens. The ceiling is well detailed and not noisy as the floor. Apart from that, the props and models look sweet.

Good to know. I'll put together a new floor texture, I'll take out the hexagon pattern, probably the culprit in the noisy floor you speak of. I'll look at my original floor pattern and see if I can remove the hexagon pattern via nDO and start there. Shouldn't take me very long to mess with the details and come up with something less noisy.

I'll tone down the bright red in the screen textures to a more neutral color, I'm guessing that might fix the issue with the saturation.
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finished up the new floor panel texture. I removed the hexagon pattern and the material looks much better, I think. I never thought the floor panel could be too noisy but now I see how simpler is sometimes better. I've also toned down the reds in the screens BUT did not tone down the lights that are emitting from those screens. Not yet, anyway. I want to know if the screen textures are the issue or the lights themselves.

Saturation is the one keyword that's been sticking with my critiques throughout this post and I'd like to fix it. I removed the blue lighting as well, maybe that'll give the eyes someplace to rest. If that wasn't what you meant, let me know.

Image%201%20v2.3.jpg

Image%202%20v2.3.jpg

Image%203%20v2.3.jpg