Home General Discussion

Australian Employement scene

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
sziada polycounter lvl 11
Fllowing the shut down of 2K Aus, its kind of prevalent that our game industry is a little dry atm and I was just wondering what you guys suggest to us new kids on the block looking to get started career wise in aus.

Especially if we wanted to look into more AAA work later on down the line.

Replies

• sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this thread is as dead as our industry
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    edit: let me post more since simply posting "mobile games" looks like a spambot!
    mobile games

I'm not in Australia so I don't know what the mobile market is but I've heard plenty of Australian devs complain that there's a bunch of mobile studios. That leads me to believe there's a decent amount of jobs and a shortage of people who want to do the work. It makes me think of Arcade devs turning their nose up at console work, since consoles were underpowered and had a different monitization system they didn't agree with.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    That leads me to believe there's a decent amount of jobs and a shortage of people who want to do the work.

Not at all.

There are plenty of people keen to do anything. There just isn't the positions.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    It's true, the local industry is no longer the realm of big 200 person studios, but it is far from dead. In fact, I'd say its the healthiest its ever been in terms of scope and creativity.

Are there the same amount of jobs? No where near it, but the previous work for hire model where we all undercut each other to the bone for scraps showed itself to be unsustainable, leading to hundreds losing jobs and by and large moving to Canada.

The good news is while that that base is different, its growing, and its more interesting.

There are also a number of small to medium size studios in Australia doing really well and many smaller mobile savvy devs.

Defiant
    League of Geeks
    Kixeye
    Halfbrick
    Gameloft

The flip side is many are fully staffed, or indies (like us) with less opportunity to hire due to just getting off the ground.

There are also collaborative spaces around:
    The Arcade in Melbourne.
    Home to a bunch of awesome teams, including the talented LoG peeps I mentioned above who are making Armello.

And River City Labs, here in Brisbane, responsible for many great teams, including 3 Sprockets, the guys behind Fight the Dragon.

If you can manage it, and have some like minded souls you trust then there is always going indie. I've found branching out on our own to be awesome..stressful and throught with pitfalls..but awesome. :)

And then there's Canada..oh, Canada. Home of a Government which invests in things over than coal. :P
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but job security in Aussie gamespace is definitely not best and especially with the indie scene
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Not sure how up to date this is but it might help.

http://www.gamedevmap.com/
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    One game studio closes down = Game industry is dead

Logic ftw
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not saying that its completely dead but its annoying when you want to focus your career more on the AAA side of the industry
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    2K going absolutely does mean that AAA is dead in Australia.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just find its a shame that we can't get our share in the AAA goodness as well as the indie scene, but I think it has kinda given me a strike of motivation to improve my skills and I think I have grown quite a bit as an artist since the beginning of this year.
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    on a semi related note http://www.tsumea.com used to be a good place to check out the jobs currently going in oz. been years since i went through them though
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Isn't immigration between the Commonwealth countries pretty open? Obviously not an option for everyone, but something to think about.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I'm going to re-bump this thread because we had a bit of a discussion on it at school, and how all that's left really is the mobile scene and we should be gearing our work towards those jobs to maximize hiring potential.

But do you think this is selling yourself short in a sense? I mean if your goal is to become a AAA artist, yet your working towards mobile spec art seems a little counter intuitive?
    I suppose you could always work on AAA stuff in your spare time for when your ready to move on.

I'm just curious what you guys think.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Fwap wrote: »
    I'm going to re-bump this thread because we had a bit of a discussion on it at school, and how all that's left really is the mobile scene and we should be gearing our work towards those jobs to maximize hiring potential.

But do you think this is selling yourself short in a sense? I mean if your goal is to become a AAA artist, yet your working towards mobile spec art seems a little counter intuitive?
    I suppose you could always work on AAA stuff in your spare time for when your ready to move on.

the question is, will you move or do you want to stay? because if the local market has no AAA, why bother? There is no way this will change anytime soon.

The next question, how likely is it that you are going to move, right out of school? if unlikely, mobile might be your best chance to get a job.
    you can still do AAA type of things in your freetime, even though it will be tough 8 hours of work can drain your creativity and might leavy with no art in your freetime. So you need to stay dedicated and willing to move.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap wrote: »

A painter who only painted on one exact size of canvas would be considered strange.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yet a client seeking an artist to paint the next sistine chapel might prefer to exclusively hire somebody who can already demonstrate work of this scale.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    yet a client seeking an artist to paint the next sistine chapel might prefer to exclusively hire somebody who can already demonstrate work of this scale.

Sure, but don't wait around for that client to appear. They only hire a handful of people around the entire world every year.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    There are some Ex pc/console game folks who works in mobile. There is missconception that the skill is not interchangeable .
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    You guys make valid points, i think it comes down to beggars can't be choosers, you know.
    Why take chances when there are little to no chances for landing a AAA gig here in AUS. Still pretty daunting though.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    This is a mobile game that I am the art lead on...

https://bajsingh.wordpress.com/total-war-battles-kingdom/

It's not all diffuse only 400 tri models any more! It really is catching up.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Get into a studio that isn't AAA, get connections, some people will have been there for N years and then get into AAA finally, they'll need good people who they can rely on and bam they'll call out to friends in the next hiring phase.

If you just stare at the top rung then you're ignoring all the work you could be doing to get there.