Home Technical Talk

Sculpt Geo Tool + Live mesh...possible?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Justo polycounter
Hi all, I was wondering if it's possible to use the Sculpt Geo Tool in Maya to snap the vertices of a mesh to the live mesh? The result would be something like Max's Conform brush I guess.

Ideally I need a way to snap all vertices in a fast way to the live mesh. Right now however, the problem is that whenever I push/pull/smooth with the brush, it's not snapping to the live mesh.

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    In Maya 2016 just use the Quad Draw tool, it's basically a move brush that snaps to the live object now (with shift to smooth like in sculpts apps).
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Thanks Bal, but unfortunately I haven't switched yet, using 2014. Would you say that smoothing with the sculpt brush, and then using Transfer Attributes to snap all vertices, is equally as fast as this "Quad Draw" tool?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    No unfortunately that will be much slower than in 2016. :(
    I share your pain, I've had to do this kind of stuff during production quite a few times, when possible I usually try to do it in a dedicated retopo software instead (3D-Coat or Topogun or something).

Still good that Maya 2016 has some good new tools for this kind of stuff.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Okay, thanks again Bal. I was trying to see if I could do it all in one app, but I guess I'll have to use Topogun for this!