Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tileable textures studies

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
Hi! :D

I just started learning tileable textures with Zbrush, so I create this thread for the future textures to come, and probably for my future substance painter textures as well.

Herringbone floor : Zbrush / Quixel suite / Photoshop

Forest ground : Zbrush / Photoshop

Both are rendered with the use of tessellation in Marmoset Toolbag 2 !

RENDERTILE01.pngRENDERTILE02.pngTILE0201.pngTILE0202.pngTILE0203.png

Replies

• EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    Tile floor naterial looks pretty well done.
    Now, this Forest Ground Floor materials is all good, but you should keep in mind when those textures repeat, big "landmarks" of the texture will pop out and it will be very obvious tiling (repeating) so, I would advise you remove those big branches, maybe leave out some small ones, but the big brnches you can add via decals and such other methods.
    Keep on doing nice work.

Cheers!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    I liked the Forest Groud Floor on ArtStation :D
    So, how did you do this? ;)
  • supremedalek925
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supremedalek925 polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed. The forest floor is damn good. I'd be really interested in seeing a breakdown of its textures.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan Thanks for the feedback, good point! Yes you're right! I've really done it as a workflow study, I thinked about that while doing it but with less stuff, it's less fun to watch when it's on a little square I guess.

I also thinked that if I have to use it in a scene, I'll probably have another texture like blank dirt for blending, and plants / grass meshes and trees of course , It would probably hide the obvious tiling.

Gazu and supremedalek925 Thanks guys :D

I can't do a breakdown with screenshots right now, it's late haha, but I'll see if I can do it soon!

It's pretty simple :

-tileable ground with generic dirt done with alpha in zbrush, in case the pine needles don't cover 100%.
    -Meshes : pine needles (2 variants), branches (4/5 variants), little plants/grass (also something like 4/5 variants), and one mesh for the pine cone!

And then differents layers with all those meshes on top of each others, wrap for tiling and done!
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! More tiles this time with Substance designer!

1st one using a video to help me getting started (just add height variation, and weathering). The two others are for my future sci-fi scene.

Few more sceenshots with differents lightning here : https://www.artstation.com/artist/cougarjo

ASHERRINGBONE03.jpg
    ASRUBBERFLOOR01.jpg
    NEWFABRIC01.jpg