Home Technical Talk

Maya 2016 - Change subdiv levels in smooth mesh preview

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
I just got Maya 2016 and I have this issue. Whenever I smooth my mesh using smooth mesh preview it looks like subdivision level 2 is applied. Now If I recall correctly in earlier version of Maya it was level 3 subdivsion by deafult. And now if you go here:
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-FF35F773-1FC0-4EBA-A64C-6199375F489A-htm.html

there is an option called Subdivision method which states that you can customize options in smooth mesh preview and when you click on that link it takes you to the page that doesn't exist. I have looked through the entire Maya and I can't find that option. Is it possible to do it with some sort of script or something?

Replies

• seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    no the default was always lvl 2. don´t know if you can change the default somewhere in a script but for sure you can write one which changes the level for all objects in your scene. or you select all objects and press the "page up/down" keys to change the subd lvl.

in your maya preferences you can just set the default subd method (maya cc, open subd cc, open subd cc adaptive) which all meshes use by default. what the dead link would tell you is that in the shape node of your mesh you can disable the use of the global setting and choose on a per mesh basis to use maya cc instead of open subd i.e..
    you´ll find this in the smooth mesh tab of your shape node.
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    I managed to find it. It was under attribute editor. But thank you for your reply. And yeah it was level 2 actually I just haven't done anything with modeling for about 6 months so I forgot everything....